Author Topic: brooks bartape .  (Read 5611 times)

JWestland

Re: brooks bartape .
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:35 am »
Hm Spa Cycles has a good deal!

I am on the fence, I am building up an 1978 Italian Ciocc Frame. So, black leather tape paired with San Marco Regal saddle will look good.

And it's going to be for good weather only anyway. On the other hand, t'is Ireland and rain can hit at any time. I guess you can use the rain proof spray used for shoes on it?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:53 pm »
Silicon waterproof spray? I'd be very wary of that as it'd probably make the leather even more slippery.

Maybe try another approach. Learn the tricks of fancy tape and do a harlequin pattern in cloth tape? 'How-to' is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le43Tm6neVo

JWestland

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »
For some reason Harlequin not really my thing :)

Cloth tape (Benotto NOS shows up on fleabay every so often) or modern tape t'is then. Playing with idea of yellow (yellow outline on decals) but that will stain like mad very quickly, so practical and boring black probably.

I may whip on yellow outer housing for the brake cables exposed to the wind if it doesn't clash too much to get a little yellow in.

That's OK, but not harlequin? I know...sense I make not  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

il padrone

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:05:44 pm »
Have to admit - black tape was always used by so many riders for a very good reason. As with your your knicks, it doesn't show nearly as much dirt and grime; and after some typical wrenching at a roadside mechanical the tape can get plenty  :-\.

jags

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:32 pm »
Silicon waterproof spray? I'd be very wary of that as it'd probably make the leather even more slippery.

Maybe try another approach. Learn the tricks of fancy tape and do a harlequin pattern in cloth tape? 'How-to' is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le43Tm6neVo

very nice indeed but not going to all that trouble  ;D ;D
beautiful bike though.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »
Hi Jawine!

It is possible to coat cotton tape with shellac, but extended exposure to water can be a problem (causes clouding of the finish and some stickiness). Urethane finishes can make cotton tape many times more durable and doesn't have the same problem.

It sure makes for a challenge removing the old tape, however!

Have you considered yellow vinyl tape or some of the old Benotto cellotape that sometimes shows up on eBay? That gives the color and durability, resists stains, and isn't too slippery when wet (there's some surface texturing, like a fine cross-hatching or a file tread on a sew-up tire).

I like the idea of some yellow in there! Housings aren't a bad idea....

I did the harlequin thing once. I saw argyle patterns for a week afterward. That's a fine example in your photo, Pete, made moreso by fine symmetry and the pattern reversal at the brakes.

Best,

Dan.