Author Topic: compression bags advice please.  (Read 3905 times)

jags

compression bags advice please.
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/event-compression-dry-sack/#review26674

just spotted these expensive, ::) so are there any similar  bags that dint cost as much. i could do with 3 of them .

jags.

julk

Re: compression bags advice please.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:08 pm »
jags,
these bags look good, just not compression - but you could put your own straps on them.
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16469&category_id=251
Julian.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:49 pm »
Thanks for that Julian yeah they could work. when i bought my sleeping bag from alpkit there was a great wee compression sack with it but for the life of me  i cant find it disappeared into thin air. ::)

btw this bikepacking thing is getting very popular.

cheers
jags.

joesoap

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »
Which bag did you buy from Alpkit? Pipedream or  Skyhigh? Can't make my mind up but they are out of Pipedream's 'till March. Should I wait? They are a neater fit if I have understood correctly. Ta.....

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »
pipedream 400  great well made bag but  not so great in cold freezing weather.
bit on the tight side.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »
Jags, I've found Outdoor Research [OR] products to be really good for backpacking, cycling, canoeing, etc.  Which one to buy depends a bit on the intended use, and the exposure to rough wear & spiky/poky things.  I've used weights, as follows:
1) ultra-light silicone-treated nylon, with a drawstring, is a good general-purpose stuff sack to go inside a backpack.  There are different sizes. These are splash-resistant, but since they're closed with a drawstring, aren't waterproof.  They don't like to be dragged, scraped, poked with spiky things either. I store my sleeping bag (down) in one of these, because it goes in turn in my backpack or canoeing drybag, etc., which are themselves dry.
2) still very light, but a wee bit heavier, is the one with a roll-top and fastex snap fastener.  These are really handy, and being a bit sturdier, can be used on the outside of a pack, or on the top of a bike's rear rack, etc. With the rolltop sealed, they're waterproof.
3) there's a grade up in weight & durability, also with a rolltop & fastex snap. I use these on my motorcycle's rear rack. I have one which is 15 litres, and two which are 45.  They're excellent--also waterproof when the top is rolled.

These last two compress by rolling down the top (you have to squeeze the air out first) and then snapping the fastex buckle closed.
OR products are very well made, and good value.  No hesitation about recommending them, if they suit your purposes. For backpacking, cycling, or motorcycle camping, that's what I'd recommend -- so long as one is careful, and treat them well, they'll treat your contents well in return.

If you want heavier, and heavier-duty bags that you can drag across gravel at portages, kick along the bottom of your canoe to re-trim the weight, throw them at bears, etc., then suggest you look at Sealine products.  They're very tough PVC, and durable.  Their kayaking bags also have a one-way valve to purge air.

For compression using belt-style straps, I'd just use separate straps & wrap them around the bag.

Mountain Equipment Co-op (our local co-op) has its own line of similar bags.  I've used them, and they're sturdy & good value. They're slightly lighter than the Sealine bags, but in my use (cycling, kayaking and canoeing) I haven't found them to be in any way fragile.

For prices, you could have a look at the MEC website:   www.mec.ca   MEC sells all three lines.

Hope this is helpful,

J.

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:00 am »
thanks john what i'm after is something like these
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/StuffSacksPillows/PRD~5018-422/outdoor-research-ultralight-compression-sack.jsp.
as i said i did have one for my sleeping bag  came with the bag from alpkit, but it got lost mores the pity. ::) more than likely i would need three one for sleeping bag
one for cloths and one for thermarest pillow great bit of kit helps me sleep but its bulky.

although really cant afford to go spending to much money.

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »
Re. the bags you linked in the first post - eVent fabric is great.... for rain jackets and such.  Really not sure why you need brilliant breatheability in a gear stuff sack ???

I just use plain Sea to Summit stuff sacks,  not very waterproof, but the Ortlieb panniers do this so it's really not an issue for me.

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:31 pm »
doesn't have to be waterproof as you say.i just like the design were i can compress the bag fully and then use the straps to secure everything. only thing i dont like is the price. ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:58 am »
Thanks, Jags.  Haven't used those OR compression sacks, but I have confidence in OR products.  Best to shop around to see what the various prices are.  I do have some inexpensive nylon stuff sacks, but prefer the OR items for their quality.

J.