Author Topic: Which camera do you use on your bike?  (Read 6805 times)

Andre Jute

Which camera do you use on your bike?
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:01 am »
I've just gone back to my ancient Canon Digital Ixus 300 (you can tell how old it is because when it was made, a digital camera was so uncommon, it was worth putting in the name); it was such a new technology that the camera and few accessories cost over a thousand pounds. It's a pretty low megapixel model, but I'm so familiar with it, I take excellent photographs even half-asleep, and its moonlight mode is a godsent for culinary photographs (I have a commission to do a book called The Euro-Elite Bicycle and Comfort Food Cookbook, for which I shall be asking y'all for photographs sometime later this year). The Ixus is stainless steel, so I use it for everything, including going on my bike. I guess that, having survived more than ten years and outlasted several bikes, it is a proven tough camera.

But the Ixus is big and clumsy by modern standards. So I'd like to replace it, if I can find something suitable.

I've already failed to replace the Ixus with an Olympus D-720, which is essentially Olympus's exemplary Mu (normally given as lower case mu or just the symbol u) in a slightly larger case of stainless steel, with a 10x wide optical zoom lens, plus macro and super macro down to gnat sizes, and buttons rather than a touch screen so you can operate it with or without gloves. The reason I'm not getting along with it is unfamiliarity with the software. This surprises my wife, who gets along fine with her Olympus mu, essentially the same camera compressed into an ali case and without the wide-angle to zoom lens; we've always had several Olympus in the family. I'll sell the D-720 for £70 delivered in Europe, delivery to the States a bit more, within Ireland the price is €70 delivered; the thing has been in use for a few months so it's probably got a few marks on it; looks okay to me: it was chosen for being a camera that shrugs off handling; comes with all the bits (cables to make it work with everything, travel charger, case, strap, battery, software discs, etc,) in original packing -- I haven't even thrown out the box yet. Also works well as a video camera, and has a tripod thread for attaching to a bike; I'll throw in a handlebar/rack fitting to attach a camera if you don't have one. If nobody wants it I'll put it on Ebay. Note that the D-720, though lighter than my Ixus, isn't an ultra-lightweight like its near-relative the mu (which at a guess, one in each hand, is at least 50gr lighter): it's a strong camera in a stainless case for surviving an outdoors life; it is however very likely the smallest camera with such a good lens of such a huge range.

So, what do I want instead? I probably want another Ixus so that I don't have to learn new software. And very likely I want the one without the bells and whistles because that's the cause of my somewhat unreasonable failure to get along with the Olympus. And of course it should be from the more industrial or agricultural end of the range, so it can survive on my bike, preferably stainless steel, and either black or silver, not some poncey fashion colour. Anyone know which model Ixus I want? Price isn't an object but I'm a Calvinist who measures value for money on a cyclist's gramme-scale. Even ultra-small isn't important, as my present Ixus fits a shirt pocket and all the newer ones are much smaller.

Thanks for information and opinions.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Which camera do you use on your bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:06 am »
Hi Andre!

I read your requirements carefully, and I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Canons to make a recommendation for another Ixus for you ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS ).

However, I can offer the alternative view of noting nearly every maker in this class has cameras that include "intelligent automation" modes, making the camera essentially a point-and-shoot with no real learning of menus, software, or controls necessary to achieve a high percentage of successful shots if that is all you want. You could be up and running successfully with a new camera in minimal time. Creative control requires a greater investment in cost and learning, of course.

If you are really looking for something to *keep* on the bike, then weather resistance and ruggedness (vibration resistance) are helpful to ensure a long service life. Something like the GoPro series of cameras in their armored cases might prove helpful, though their features are geared primarily to video. Still shots are possible, but less facile and there are no creative or zoom controls and dim-light performance is just coming to practical fruition compared to the "starlight" modes of your average point 'n' shoot camera. GoPros are essentially fixed-focus cameras dependent on electronic cropping and an extremely wide focal length. Their greatest virtues are their ruggedness and a huge variety of mounts and cases.

If you're looking for something rugged and cheap to pack along, there's some superb buys available still on eBay for the Panasonic TZ-5 series of travel-zoom cameras (versatile, typically 28-210 35mm equivalent focal lengths) and they have stainless cases. Mine has served reliably and ruggedly for the last five years.

If you're looking for an all-'round camera that is still "pocketable" and with reasonable low-light versatility (and food shot-specific automated modes!), I can suggest the latest offerings in the Travel Zoom class, particularly the Sony DMC-HX20V (I own one) and the Panasonic TZ-30 (Il Padrone recently got one). My Sony has GPS with tracking that displays in GoogleEarth, and a 35mm-equivalent optical zoom range of 25-500mm, with a "sweet spot" digital zoom that provides better than average digizoom quality to 1000mm equivalent; still not desirable but at least usable (I used it to get the shot of the bad eagle I posted here a couple weeks ago: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg31453#msg31453 ). It has a number of low-light modes and that food photography mode I mentioned. Despite a small sensor, the processing algorithms do a remarkable job, sometimes layering as many as a half-dozen sequentially-taken automatic shots to minimize noise and give the appearance of a larger sensor than equipped. The automatic macro mode is truly outstanding, as is the sound and video quality with full-1080HD capability. If you wished to go up a notch, Sony's RX-100 is a superb pocketable camera with an enormous sensor for a camera of this size/class. In exchange, it has a greatly reduced range of available focal lengths (a necessary optical compromise).

I come from a deep and longstanding SLR background, but have found I get more actual shots with a pocketable camera simply because it is small enough to actually carry with me - and I do. Can't get those once-in-a-lifetime shots if the big DSLR is back in the drawer at home.

Buying new cameras after even a short gap is like measuring time in dog-years, Andre; a lot of development time has passed since you got that Ixus 300, and I there's a number of possible alternatives should you wish to try something else. I do understand why you'd like to stay with a later iteration of what you have, but thought it worthwhile to mention the two alternatives above. It is possible their menu structure might be even closer to what you have than would be the case with an updated Ixus.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:14:09 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:57 am »
Thanks for that analysis, Dan. Parts of it are very useful in clearing up questions that I have either not asked yet or put on the back boiler.

However, you're mistaken in you belief that the style of the menus bother me. It's altogether worse than that. It's the presence of the menus I object to. When I want to switch the flash on and off, i don't want to delve through menus, I want to press a button, as on the Ixus.

My ideal camera would have a zooming viewfinder, no touchscreen, and buttons for the flash, the macro, infinite focal length (for taking photographs from behind glass.

The GoPro won't do at all. It's simply too crude. I'll take my chances on smashing a more sophisticated camera.

Gotta sleep.

Ciao.

Andre Jute

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »
Andre - you might find it useful to consider something like the Canon PowerShot G12,  my wife has recently bought one to replace her failing Ixus 860.  The G12 is obviously much bigger, and clearly not a 'shirt pocket' camera.  The trade off is of course, image quality.   

The G12 does have a number of the features you want - buttons for the flash etc, and one of my 'serious photographer' friends uses an earlier version as his carry-around camera.

Gill (mrs sdg) has a good eye for a photograph and sees the camera as a tool rather than a 'techy-toy' she says the fold out screen is useful and finds the icons around the edge help to control the camera rather than get in the way of taking the picture.

regards
sdg.

ians

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »
I use a Fuji X10.  Mechanical zoom, exposure compensation on a dial, a usable viewfinder (not like looking down a tube) and ..... a threaded cable release!!  Whoohoo.

Not a shirt pocket camera, but will fit easily in the bar bag.  Or the pocket of my cargo shorts.  Heavily discounted now the X20 is about to appear.

I have an 18"x12" print made with this camera hanging on my study wall.  Not bad for a small sensor.

ian

honesty

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08:05 pm »
I have a samsung EX1. Its one of a batch of cameras that have sensors that are larger than usual found in point and shoots and gives you access to more setting and allow shooting in RAW format. DP review did a recent round up of these cameras here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

They are not waterproof, but I use a Topeak Tribag http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/tri_drybag to keep the camera close to hand and dry.

Of them all I'd go for the Olympus XZ2 if I were to buy one now.

If you are interested I'm actually going to be selling the EX1 as I got a shiny new CSC for Christmas.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:17 am »
Thanks, and keep talking, chaps. I'm amazed at the size and quality and price of the cameras that you fellows take on a bicycle. I imagine you take absolutely wonderful photographs.

But I can't choose a bigger camera, regardless of technological whizbangery or status. Recently I took up sketching, so my pockets have less space after fitting a sketchbook, a water colour kit, and a pencil case for brushes and pens. Sooner or later we'll get to the sort of camera I want (shirtpocketable, zooming viewfinder in addition to LCD, buttons for most used functions rather than delving through menus). If I can't find one of those because technology has passed by my needs, I'll just buy an iPhone and use that as a camera, as I have to carry a phone anyway, and doubling up functions makes sense, or make the Ixus do (there's nothing wrong with it except that it is larger and heavier than newer cameras -- but it fits a shirt pocket even if it drags the shirt skew).

Andre Jute

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:16:59 am »
As Danneaux mentioned earlier, I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ30 and have been very happy with its functionality. It is a shirt-pocket camera but with a BIG zoom (20X optical), great iA functionality plus a range of scene settings, a custom mode and also fully manual options. Flash is just a single button push and choose from two-three options. No view-finder option, just a very large and clear LCD screen that works very well even in sunlight. The panorama setting is really great to get a wider landscape view, it takes multiple photos then computes them into one image.

I love what I can do with this little beauty  :D

Panorama mode shot - Loch Ard Gorge
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:19:59 am by il padrone »

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:09:53 am »
Super photo. A pedalpal has a Panasonic. I'll find out if it's the same model and ask to handle it. Thanks! -- Andre Jute

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:57:22 am »
I use a Fuji X10.  Mechanical zoom, exposure compensation on a dial, a usable viewfinder (not like looking down a tube) and ..... a threaded cable release!!  Whoohoo.

Not a shirt pocket camera, but will fit easily in the bar bag.  Or the pocket of my cargo shorts.  Heavily discounted now the X20 is about to appear.

I have an 18"x12" print made with this camera hanging on my study wall.  Not bad for a small sensor.

ian

Ian I have a Fuji X10 too, the best all round camera for Cycle Touring about the World  :)

Pete . . . . . . . . .
 ;)
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

ians

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:39 pm »
Pete

am tempted by the X20..... (my wife is looking longingly at my x10 so there could be a deal there).  But not yet - am off to Australia in a couple of weeks to see family (Perth) and will take the X10.

best

ian

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
Not being a smarty pants here, but what makes it so good?
I have been listening to all the comments here and there so want to make an informed choice
Thanks
Matt

Ian I have a Fuji X10 too, the best all round camera for Cycle Touring about the World  :)

Pete . . . . . . . . .
 ;)

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:30:24 pm »

Pete . . . . . . . . .
 ;)

I've had an X10 since august.
It's a great camera and takes excellent pictures but I doubt very much its the best all round camera for cycle touring.
The battery life is very poor, you need to carry lots of spares, I have exhausted a battery in less than a day.
Some images suffer from very bad lens flare if shot towards the sun, much worse than any previous camera I have had.
The 4x zoom is good but a longer zoom would be better.
I would still prefer my old Canon S3is for longer tours due to these factors even though the image quality may be slightly lower (its AA batteries last 3 weeks instead of one or two days!).

ians

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »

for me - and most people who like it I would guess - it's the nearest thing to an analogue digital camera.  I grew up on film (first serious camera was a second hand Pentax S1 back in 1967).  I don't like too many menus and the X10 has a few mechanical features that make handling (for me) easy.  I've had a couple of digital SLRS in the past which I've now sold simply because I stopped carrying them with me.

I have an old Leica Digilux 2 which is an amazing camera, just 3 ISO settings, and an aperture ring on the lens and a traditional shutter dial.  It's a panasonic body with an f2 leica zoom lens stuck on the front.  5MP sensor but still makes 10"8" prints.  Not really suited to the bike though.

The x10 is not perfect by any means - but it feels comfortable in my hand.  It has a very nice panorama feature, a useful lowlight mode and I like the Velvia (film) mode.  I just shoot jpegs and am happy with the 'out of camera' images.  I'm old fashioned I guess.  My wife shoots raw and she's a whizz at photoshop.  Different strokes ...

But all cameras are a compromise - you have to pick one that most suits your needs.  And if you don't like the feel of it when you pick it up, you won't take it with you.

Here's a couple I took with it last summer (not on bike)

ian

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:13 am »
I have been listening to all the comments here and there so want to make an informed choice
Thanks
Matt

Why well how about this?

1st off it has a very good view finder!

2nd you can if filters to the lens.

3rd it looks like an Old Camera

4th made Strong  8)

And more . . . .
I just like it, If I was to buy the Best Travel Camera it would be a Leica M9 P with a 35mm and a 90mm Len  :o But I could Cycle tour half way around the World for the money  :'(
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/
I have had Two Leica M6's and one or four Leica Len's

Pete . . . . . .
 :P

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ