Author Topic: Interesting one on Ebay - with rohloff  (Read 2209 times)

in4

Interesting one on Ebay - with rohloff
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »
I can't quite see if this is a rohloff-equipped bike. Looks a lot of bike for the money to me but what do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141138651934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Interesting one on Ebay - with rohloff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:02 pm »
I can't quite see if this is a rohloff-equipped bike.
Yep; it sure is, but with an internally-cabled Rohloff set for horizontal entry, a'la R&E Cycles' approach. I do see the distinctive accordion cable covers and the familiar Rohloff flanges there.

It is a very attractive bicycle of the trekking persuasion ad remarkably low-priced for the equippage.

Reference retail seems to be about €1599.99 new. See (in German; use Chrome or Opera to auto-translate or cut 'n' paste the URL into GoogleTranslate): https://www.boc24.de/shop/fahrraeder/cityrad/herrenrad/bicycles-montserrat-herren-cityrad

Converting £ to €, the current eBay price is €1,194.97, so not as much discount as it might seem at 74% of the original price (26% reduction), but it does indeed look as-new.

On the other hand, delivery from the eBay seller is likely a lot less expensive than it would be from the link above

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:18 pm »
That bike isn't new, it's used. I've never heard of Montserrat bikes but this bike seems to be kitted up with a mix of good components (Rohloff, Magura brakes, a good rack, etc), fashionable but doubtful components (Mavic rims on a touring bike? -- not on mine, thanks!), high-maintenance parts (Suntour suspension fork -- there's a reason Andy Blance doesn't fit suspension forks on by far the largest part of the Thorn range!), and some rubbish. On the whole, even if low-mileage and very well maintained, it is actually an expensive used bike when you consider that in the sales you can buy brand new, famous, known quality makes of Rohloff-equipped touring bikes from 1500 Euro upwards, in sterling not so far off this second-hand bike's price, as Dan has already pointed out.

With reference to the internally switched Rohloff gearbox, that is usually a sign on a German bike that it was built down to a price, or it was built by road bike people who don't know better than to try saving a few grammes but would still like a piece of the touring action; in short, likely to be a "profile" bike (a touring-shaped object, not a real touring bike). The better ones come with the EXT click box. The mix of the rest of the components supports either of these categories.

A few years ago I considered buying one of these types of bikes to strip and put the components on a custom frame, but on more careful investigation it turned out not to be a huge saving after all; you could get better components and assemblies for very little more in total, and if you bought a really good complete bike in the sales (as I did after failing to find a custom builder who could build the frame I wanted), you'd actually be ahead in the longer term because you wouldn't be spending money and time every six months replacing inadequate components.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:58:04 pm »

I think I prefer the internal shifter myself (got both types). I'm a lover of simplicity, lower bulk, reduced parts counts and direct feeling linkages as well as lightish weight. And EX boxes are flippin' easy to bend. Like you say though Andre there are certainly a few bike shaped objects out there designed to be consumed by consumers....
With a bit of judicious t'interweb shopping a new Thorn can be homebuilt for a "not unreasonable" outlay.

Happy days
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:07:04 am »
I think I prefer the internal shifter myself (got both types). I'm a lover of simplicity, lower bulk, reduced parts counts and direct feeling linkages as well as lightish weight.

All of that may be right, Ian, IF the constructor made a proper cable run so that entry into the box is straight. That's why Andy Blance is so proud of his frame, because it is designed from the ground up to run the Rohloff cables right. But internal installations that are supposed to "save weight" or, worse, for cost accounting reasons, very likely will only lead to frustration and expense. Not that it's impossible to mount the EXT box wrong, but its entry angle isn't actually as critical.

I must add that I like the EXT box because it is easier to replace the cables, and because I see no point in having a part-open, part closed cable run, a superfluous leftover from derailleur racing practice.