Private Classified > Bikes For Sale

HAND-MADE THORN EXP FOR SALE

(1/2) > >>

wightwheels:
I have decided to sell my derailleur-geared Thorn EXP. It is in absolutely mint condition, having been kept indoors all its life and has never been used in the rain. Its total mileage is around 1500 miles. The EXP frame was hand-built in Somerset, probably by Kevin Sayles from Reynolds 725 conical tubing. All the frame tubes of this expedition bike have been sealed and treated to ensure that they cannot rust. Thorn state that the EXP range was destined to last two lifetimes.
Specifications are as follows:
The frame size is a 500 S. Top tube centre to centre is 52 cm. Seat tube centre to centre is 48 cm. Standover height at headset is 80 cm. Standover height midway is 78 cm. It was made for a 5’ 7” male rider. Top tube diameter is 32 mm. tapering to 29 mm. Seat tube diameter is 32 mm. tapering down to 29 mm. Down tube is 35 mm. tapering down to 32 mm. The colour of the frame is black and ivory billiard cue design. The weight of the bike as shown in the photos is 32 lb. (about the same as a Dawes Galaxy).
Wheels: Shimano XT M752 hubs with 26” 36 hole Sun CR18 silver rims. Shimano XT skewers
Tyres: Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 26 x 1.75
Headset: FSA Orbit XL 2
Crank: Shimano XT Mega 9 hollow tech chainset with 170 mm. arms. Chain rings 44/32/22
Rear cassette: Shimano XT M750 9 speed 11-32 cassette
Front changer: Shimano XT FD-M751
Rear changer: Shimano XT RD-M750 – long cage
Cables: All Shimano SIS
Chain: Sram PC69
Pedals: MKS
Gear changers: Shimano XT Rapid Fire indexed
Brake levers: Shimano XT
Brakes: Suntour XC Pro (self-energising on rear) with Shimano XT brake blocks and carriers
Bottom bracket: Shimano XT ES70/71
Mudguards: SKS
Racks: Front – Thorn Expedition low loader. Rear – Tortec Expedition rack (maximum load 35 kgs.)
Saddle: Rolls San Marco
Frame pump: Zefal
Bottle holders: 2 x Profile design with 1 Zefal aluminium bottle
Handlebar grips: Ergon GP1
Cycle computer: Cateye Strada wireless
All parts on the bicycle are like new but the following parts have never been used:
Rolls saddle, racks, frame pump, water bottle
When I was riding the bicycle it had a shorter stem than the one in the photo and riser handlebars for my preferred upright cycling position, but the bicycle was designed to have drop handlebars – these are also included in the sale and are as follows: Modolo Qrace black anatomic 47 cm. overall width. Brake levers Shimano R400 Super SLR AERO. Bar end levers Shimano Dura Ace SL-BS77. Rear indexed front friction complete with all Shimano cables.
So you have all the parts included to have straight bars or dropped bars and I would say would suit heights of between 5’ 5” and 5’ 10”. There is also the choice of either the new Rolls saddle or a new Brooks B17 or a new Specialized BG gel saddle. I also have various stems and some shorter straight bars, so given your dimensions can alter these to your preference, and then send you a photo of revised bicycle set-up.
OK – I think that covers it. The price is £1300.00 and will include price of courier to your door. I will try to be as accommodating as I can and if you have your own saddle, pedals, racks, handlebar grips, cycle computer or want to pick up the bicycle from the Isle of Wight, I will adjust the price accordingly. Please note that this is not a posh Thorn Sherpa but a hand-made top quality expedition bike, of which the frame alone (which are no longer made) would cost you more than the asking price.
Here is a link to all the photos;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92626053@N07/sets/72157632621425427/

Matt2matt2002:
Magnificent animal.
I can see why it is your pride and joy.
I am committed to another second hand Thorn so will pass on this beast.

bobs:
Sounds like the ideal bike for leftpoole.

Bob

Andybg:
Certainly is a work of art. Fortunately not my size or I would be very tempted. I am sure it will make someone a perfect expedition bike at a fair price.

Andy

leftpoole:

--- Quote from: bobs on January 28, 2013, 03:15:12 pm ---Sounds like the ideal bike for leftpoole.

Bob

--- End quote ---

Hi Bob!
Close to me for collection (4 miles on the Ferry) but too small...........
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version