Author Topic: Garmin Oregon 450 GPS  (Read 2497 times)

stormdog

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
Garmin Oregon 450 GPS
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »
Wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 which I use when walking in the hills. I am riding from Cardiff to Holyhead in April and wanted to download the route onto my Garmin (which naively I thought would be easy, not really up with these things).

I used a route designed off the Cycling Touring Club Website which follows mainly cycling routes and paths, want to keep off the main roads. I downloaded this onto my laptop in gpx file format.

I then uploaded this onto Memory Map UK and Europe on my lap top, which I then downloaded onto my Garmin.

I found the route on my Garmin only covered the first stage of the ride, and thought this may be due to the amount of memory available on the Garmin.

I have now tried loading the route in separate segments from town to town which seemed to work but then I suddenly found some of the earlier route segments disappeared as new ones were loaded, so I am taking it to mean there is insufficient memory available??? but there again I am not sure.

Is there a way round this, was wondering if I loaded the route onto an SD card would that work, although I believe the Garmin mapping is on an sd card and not internal memory so how could the map be viewed.

I wish technology was as easy as riding my Thorn!!!!!!

thanks for any help

kind regards

John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Garmin Oregon 450 GPS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »
Hi John!

I'm deep into an unexpected/unwanted kitchen remodel, have nearly concluded the cabinetmaking and am moving on to the electrical end at the moment, so must be briefer at the moment than usual until later.

I have a Garmin Oregon 400T, and have found this resource to be especially helpful: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

I do run both an 8GB card and a 4GB card and load maps and routes on each (I already had two cards, so I use them; would be more useful to have one, as micro SD cards are tiny and subject to loss when changing in the field. As it is, I keep all North American City maps and National Parks maps on one, while I keep all of Europe on the other, along with the BENELUX bike paths and some individual recreational maps for BE, NL, and FR as well. The spare space on each holds either my tracks or my custom map uploads and my Garmin satellite photo overlays).

Are you using MapSource or BaseCamp as the intermediary software to transfer your maps? I've run into some problems if I do otherwise.

I wish technology was as easy as riding my Thorn!
<nods> Agreed. Garmin's interface is not as consistent or intuitive sometimes as one might wish.

Best,

Dan.

stormdog

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
Re: Garmin Oregon 450 GPS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:58:01 pm »
Thanks Dan, I do not envy you but these things must be done. I will have a look at the link, thanks for getting back kind regards John