Author Topic: Radon or Thorn Rohloff bike  (Read 4226 times)

Bryan111

Radon or Thorn Rohloff bike
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »
Hello, I am over 50 and am looking for a solid bomb proof low maintenance commuting bike. I am considering the new Raven and the Radon Rohloff bike www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/TCS-Rohloff_id_22339_.htm  - I would be grateful for any thoughts on these options. Many thanks in advance, Bryan

ZeroBike

Re: Radon or Thorn Rohloff bike
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »
Hello, I am over 50 and am looking for a solid bomb proof low maintenance commuting bike. I am considering the new Raven and the Radon Rohloff bike www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/TCS-Rohloff_id_22339_.htm  - I would be grateful for any thoughts on these options. Many thanks in advance, Bryan

Have a look at the sherpa too.

Again its bomb proof but a fair bit cheaper as its a derailleur system rather than a Rohloff.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »
mine's the sherpa great bike totally bomb proof but not thief proof. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:44:44 am »
Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum, Bryan!

Agreed with Zero and jags...the Sherpa is a tremendous value; one of the best in all of cycling for a true all-'rounder. And yes, it has derailleurs.

If you're truly into low maintenance *and* commuting will be your prime use, you may wish to consider something along the lines Dave Whittle offered recently...a Thorn Raven frame fitted with an Alfine or NuVinci hub. Not a bad idea...many of the low-maintenance virtues of the Rohloff hub with a lower price and less theft-attractive. I see SJSCycles have a couple available pre-built and ready to go for less than £999.99 complete with mudguards and a nice spec, a tremendous value:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-raven-sport-tour-486l-matt-black-alfine-commuting-bike-new-prod30959/
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-raven-sport-tour-586l-cobalt-blue-alfine-commuting-bike-new-prod30923/

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:42:35 am »
A second thumbs up for the Raven with the alfine. For a low maintenance commuter I dnt think you can beet the value. The alfine gives a similar gear spread to a traditional double setup with derailiers so unless you are climbing mountains on your commute it is well up to the job.

Having said that there is something special about the Rohloff so if your budget allows it then dont discard it

Andy