Author Topic: It is a not simple thing  (Read 2038 times)

liflawless

It is a not simple thing
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:57 am »
Who can tell me this bicycle wheels
http://www.carbonrimssale.com/carbon-clincher-wheelset-60mm-ud-matte-with-red-spokes-black-hubs.html suit cycling newbie or not.And I ride the bicycle only as a transportation,thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: It is a not simple thing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:20 am »
You're right, Lif'; it is not a simple thing!

Those are lovely wheels, but perhaps not best-suited to the rigors of commuting and using the bike only for transportation.

On the other hand, I know several people who use very similar wheels for that very purpose, and are delighted with them!

They treat every city block as a miniature time-trial course and go into a full tuck as soon as the light changes. On streets pockmarked with potholes, these very similar wheels have held up far better than I could have imagined, though they do use care to avoid the worst of them.

I guess it comes down to a person's philosophy and riding experience and what they desire. These would surely make some fine-looking wheels and they could be a lot of fun to use. The price seems very reasonable for what they are, even if the name brand is obscure.

If it were me, I think I'd prefer a sturdier set of wheels for daily service, but I've also toured extensively on *very* off-road with 700x23mm tires on Mavic MA-2 rims, and never had a problem, so it depends on riding style as well. I'm very easy on my equipment and take good care of it.

Please, can you tell us a bit more about the kind or brand of bicycle you'll be using with them? That might make it a little easier to answer your question. If you're already riding a lightweight steel, alu or carbon racing or audax frame, then the wheels wouldn't necessarily be out of place.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan. (...who is mightily intrigued!)

liflawless

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:00:37 am »
You're right, Lif'; it is not a simple thing!

Those are lovely wheels, but perhaps not best-suited to the rigors of commuting and using the bike only for transportation.

On the other hand, I know several people who use very similar wheels for that very purpose, and are delighted with them!

They treat every city block as a miniature time-trial course and go into a full tuck as soon as the light changes. On streets pockmarked with potholes, these very similar wheels have held up far better than I could have imagined, though they do use care to avoid the worst of them.

I guess it comes down to a person's philosophy and riding experience and what they desire. These would surely make some fine-looking wheels and they could be a lot of fun to use. The price seems very reasonable for what they are, even if the name brand is obscure.

If it were me, I think I'd prefer a sturdier set of wheels for daily service, but I've also toured extensively on *very* off-road with 700x23mm tires on Mavic MA-2 rims, and never had a problem, so it depends on riding style as well. I'm very easy on my equipment and take good care of it.

Please, can you tell us a bit more about the kind or brand of bicycle you'll be using with them? That might make it a little easier to answer your question. If you're already riding a lightweight steel, alu or carbon racing or audax frame, then the wheels wouldn't necessarily be out of place.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan. (...who is mightily intrigued!)
Thanks for your suggestion,this is the first time i bought bicycle equipment,so i really don't know which brand ,types or stuff is suit myself.But there is a important thing that it must be light enough,because i hate heavy,i think steel material is too heavy,maybe i don't like it.I heard of carbon fiber material,it is stiff,durable and light,so i plan to buy a set of carbon wheels.But i have no much budget,so i have to chose buy them from internet.I hope you can give me a hand and tell me which site is not only can find high quality bicycle wheels but also have a reasonable price,hahh ,thanks

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:07 am »
Carbon wheels/forks/frames are only suitable if you have a good bike shelter.

I would for the life of me not commute here on any Crabon as the bike racks are built in such a way that your bike will get knocks, something to with Carbon is not resilient at all: It's very strong, but only in one direction!

If you're obsessed with weight, a weight weenies forum might be thing for you :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:41 pm »
This is a situation in which you can choose two out of three: light weight components, low cost, long-lived components. If you have a big budget for buying replacement wheels every few months, you can use carbon wheels for commuting. On a more modest budget, forget carbon, especially in the wheels, the most stressed part of the bike, and the most vulnerable. Cheap carbon is just too uncertain. In fact, on a modest budget, you'd do better to forget carbon altogether. Anything carbon on a budget is a recipe for unpleasant surprises.

Specifying a bike, unless you have an unlimited budget, is an exercise in compromise. If you're obsessed about weight, for commuting get a common (i.e. popular) ali frame, and ali rim wheels with stainless spokes. Save the weight in a narrower tyre and lighter tube and don't complain about the consequent discomfort and greater frequency of flats.

Later you can move to more cutting edge bikes, but for a first bike don't go to any extreme, stay in the middle ground while you gather the experience to judge for yourself what is important to the riding you want to do.

Good luck.

Andre Jute