Author Topic: Thorn Raven Nomad S&S  (Read 6363 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad S&S
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »
I have been outbid, I placed a bid of £1200 which I know is very cheap for a bike like that but at the end of the day unless I got a great bargain I didnt want to spend any more on a second hand bike and miss out on the excitement of having my own built specifically for me.

Good luck to the current bidders.

In4 I followed that link but other than a nice website detailing the owners escapades their is no mention of him wanting to sell that bike?

I am pretty sure he withdrew it since there were no serious bidders before he resumed his trip.
I believe he said he would store it until he came home.
So one more to look out for in the future
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ianshearin

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
One thing that I have been pleased with is how sought after Thorn bikes are even when second hand, it says a lot about the build quality of them.

Your right Andy, it would have to be a real bargain for me to give up ordering a new bike from Thorn  ;D
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »
I was secretly keeping my eye on the ebay Nomad, it has just been withdrawn.
I assume someone offered him a price he coudnt refuse and he took it off.

Guees someone is going to have a nice xmas :)

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
Rats

oldbilluk

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »
Don't worry guys, there's still my Thorn Raven :-)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »
Ok ,Oldbill
Tell me the practical difference between a Nomad and Raven.
 And maybe we can do a deal.

I want to do a long tour from UK to China next year. Panniers front and back. Carrying everything and the kitchen sink.
Will it get me there and back?

oldbilluk

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 12:13:08 am »
As you probably know, you can take a Nomad apart, the Raven will get you there as well as a Nomad would but it stays in one piece unless you hit a truck. Mine has no front panniers as I wasn't going to be carrying the kitchen sink, so you would need to add those. It does come with Carradyce drybags on the rears. I'm 5' 10" and it fits me. Let me know what you want to do.

Bill

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:42 am »
Hi Matt!

You can read and gain a full appreciation for the differences between the Raven Tour and Nomad Mk2 by taking a look at the two brochures, which I have culled from the Internet's archives for the relevant dates of production to compare. They are here:

Raven Tour:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091229063730/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornRavenTourBroHiRes.pdf

Nomad Mk2:
http://liveweb.archive.org/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornRavenNomadBroHiRes.pdf

In the simplest terms, the Nomad Mk2 is the heaviest-duty of the available Rohloff Thorns, and indeed, any Thorn. It is the freighter, packer, and expedition bike of choice when cargo capacity and sheer durability are the prime determinant of success.  Owning one, I can tell you it is a *lot* of bike for general use, but fits my needs to a well, "T" for expedition touring. Because the frame is so stout, I have found (in contrast to my former Sherpa Mk2) that unladen and general ride comfort is more dependent on tire width, air volume, and pressure; the frame is less resilient and it is less suited as an all-'rounder, being focused more directly to expeditionary use in terms of materials and design.

In contrast, the Raven Tour is more akin to my former Sherpa Mk2, and -- while ably handling heavy loads -- is a likely a better all-'rounder for general use. If you had just one bike and wished it to serve for all purposes, the Raven Tour is probably a better choice. If you're really going to the back-of-beyond and carrying enormous loads on occasion (as I do, when I need to carry ~20+liters of water plus a week or two of foodstuffs when in the remotest parts of the desert and need to have a day or two's rationed safety margin), then the Nomad is probably the better choice.

In the Raven Tour brochure referenced above, the ad copy on page 2 of the May 2009 brochure reads...
Framewise, the RavenTour is a direct descendant of our well known, much loved, and very highly regarded Thorn Nomad. It has very slightly sportier geometry and the tubes are a little lighter in gauge but the top and down tube are larger in diameter. This creates a superb multi-use frame...the Raven Tour a genuine, first-class touring bike which is well up to the demands of cycle camping...it is even capable of a global tour of required to do so. Its robust qualities also mean that the Raven Tour is a first-class day-to-day all-year-round machine....

In comparison the Nomad Mk2 brochure details the enormous cargo capacity of the Nomad (page 12). It is a machine more focused on the heavy/expedition touring end of things.

It really is a horses for courses sort of thing, Matt. Ideally, one *won't* carry enormous loads on a regular basis. A bike is much more pleasant to ride anywhere with less weight, but if a person does sometimes need to do so with regularity, then a bike purpose-built to that end is the appropriate choice.

Another thought: A trailer is also an appropriate way to make a lighter-duty bike into a heavier-duty one when need occasionally demands. Handling is generally less affected than it is with panniers on the bike, and you have the joy of a lighter bike to ride when you wish, as in the day-to-day. After all, even a world tour will conclude someday, and a lighter bike can be a lot of fun for day riding and such. Sometimes, a heavier bike can feel a bit less...joyful, lively, and fun even if it does very nicely on day rides. I am pleased with my Nomad for my needs, and have the option to ride my other, lighter bikes for go-fast days if I wish. Interestingly...I've not ridden them much since getting the Nomad! It is doing well in general use, and the novelty of it as New Bike is far from past.

If it were me and I wanted a Rohloff bike that was a general-purpose jack-of-all-trades biased toward loaded touring, I'd choose a Raven Tour like Bill's. If was *really* going into remote country where reasonable resupply was lacking and I needed to frequently carry not only all my gear for extended touring, but lots of food and water stores as well (as I do on occasion, with these exact demands and needs), then the heavier bike is better suited for that. Its thicker tube walls will also better resist dents and dings when tossed atop a truck or donkey cart when needed for portage. Those heavy tube walls mean it also weighs a lot all by itself.

All things considered, I think the Raven Tour like Bill's (sadly, no longer in the current production line now Thorn have essentially merged the Raven Sport and Raven Tour into one machine, now known simply as the "Raven"), will more likely meet the needs of most people who are seeking a "do it all" bike that can also tour the globe. On the other hand, we have Forum members like NZPeterG who has his Nomad set up with front suspension and are ready to go racing!

Tough choice, fun choice!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:53:11 am by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:47 am »
Many thanks folks.
I will measure my present bike and size it up against the 512L
Matt