Author Topic: Discovery Marathon Twin  (Read 3443 times)

sg37409

Discovery Marathon Twin
« on: February 10, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »
My old disco twin tandem.
The original suntour se brakes were poor, and I tried V-brakes to see if these would be more effective and easier to maintain. They are, but not the revelation I'd hoped for. The original arai drum brake was warped and not very effective, so it came off.
I fancied trying the mitec hell-bent bars so put these on the bike, but theyre better for a trail bike rather than anything else, they're too wide for the tandem.  The twist-shifters work very well though, and I replaced chains and cassette with a view to sell it. I'm still inclined to sell it.

Some more at my flickr.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Discovery Marathon Twin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »
Oh, Man!...tandem content in the gallery -- yeah!  ;D

What a lovely bike; are you sure you wish to sell it? With the kids getting bigger, you'd have some built-in stokers at the ready. Paintwork looks a darned sight better than mine did when I got it used. Nice, nice bike...

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:15:13 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »
what kind of money are you looking for, i sold my trailer to a guy last week and he was just saying he was on the lookout for a tandem. ;)

sg37409

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:45:54 am »
Not selling, but was messing around trying to save old film-based photos. Came across these.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:59 am »
Aww, I'm so glad you posted these! The very picture (sorry) of good cycling times with the family, and a much-needed addition of tandems to the gallery. A simply lovely bike, the moreso simply for being employed in its intended capacity.

Really nice scans off the film print, too; they came out well.

Yes, very nice indeed!

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:24:24 am »
Really fantastic photos.

What are the kiddy cranks you have used on the back of the Tandem? With 1 grandaughter at 18mionths and twins at 1 month old now am always planning cycling possibilities for the future

Cheers

Andy

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:49:32 am »
Really fantastic photos.

What are the kiddy cranks you have used on the back of the Tandem?

St John Street Cycles sell them...... and guess what I found there?

;D

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:35:42 pm »
Thanks for that.

I will go have a look

Cheers

Andy

sg37409

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »
I just sold my kiddie cranks recently. On the discovery I had to connect them to the front chainring, making quite a lot of chain there. I used them on the triplet too though, on the middle position where the kiddie crank timing chain connected to the middle and it looked much neater.   They're pretty expensive but we got a lot of use out of them and allow us to keep doign cycling weekends when the kids were small. The set I used was a pretty neat set from (as you point out) SJS. I've seen other more cumbersome ones around which probably work just as well.

However, I'd advise thinking about a kiddie-back if you don't have an adult tandem to convert.

thanks
steve

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:22 pm »
Hi Steve

Yes we have an adult tandem that I was looking at the possibility of using them on.

I will keep an eye on ebay as have a couple of years I would imagine before the oldest will be old enough. If not will fall back on an sjs purchase

Andy

sg37409

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »
Set for sale on this thread.
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65528.0

What size is your seat tube/ I have some kiddie cranks I need to get rid of as my children have out-grown them. Built by Locks in Sandwich for 29.2mm OD seat tube. PM me if you want to know more.

There are often second hand sets on the tandem club website for sale.

http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/_sboard.htm