Author Topic: wobbly front wheel  (Read 5711 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: wobbly front wheel
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:46:34 pm »
Excellent detective work, Jim!

This points out just how very, very hard it can be to track down noises on a bicycle. The tubes telegraph the noise so it is very difficult to determine the source.

As for the Brooks, the usual sources (by frequency of reports) are...
a) where the rails are riveted to the cantle plate at the rear of the saddle (or where the springs mount/are seated)
...or...
b) where the nosepiece wraps around the rail "return" at the front. In either case, inverting the bike and carefully and sparingly applying a single drop of oil to each of those contact points will tend to quieten the squeak/click without migrating to the leather of the saddle.

Another possible source (among many!) is the seatpost-to-saddle rail clamp or even the seatpost clamp at the top of the seat tube.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks you did well to narrow it down this far already!)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
I sprayed silicone lube in all the plausible places on my saddle and that didn't fix things. I tightened the crank bolts and no luck.

Then... Andre mentioned again the virtues of the VP-191 pedals. Hey, lookie there, somebody has them very modestly priced on ebay! Nothing wrong with a spare pair of pedals!

They came in today's mail and I put them on my bike - the clicking disappeared! It was the pedals!

The previous pedals were MKS Touring pedals. I suspect after a while probably whatever flat spot would probably have worn smooth. But now I can stop worrying about the bottom bracket and I still have a decent pair of spare pedals. It'll be fun to ride the VP-191s. Plus they are black-and-silver which is the color scheme on my bike!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »
Wonderful news, Jim -- and you got some new pedals to boot!

Can't beat that.

'Just goes to show how sound can travel on a bicycle.

All the best,

Dan.