Author Topic: Towards a Zero Maintenance Bike: Servicing my Rohloff w/ Phil Waterproof Grease  (Read 20380 times)

Andre Jute

My Phil grease is dark green in color, did they change the formula?  Mine is decades old, thus I assume yours is newer.

Mine is green too when it is new. That's not new grease in the photo. It's six months or more old and it seems likely there is an element of Finish Line White Teflon in it; see the next post.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:54:14 am by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

According to a letter in my mailbox, Phil's waterproof grease in use remains green. It therefore looks like my Phil is being mixed with Finish Line White Teflon, the lube I used before, hiding in the unused, invisible spaces in the klickbox, as Dan says.

Nothing bad has happened because of the mixture — indeed, it has proven viable as a lube for 3000km and I expected it to march on to the desired 5000km, thus equalizing the two Rohloff service intervals of the hub oil change and the klickbox service. But it isn't the Phil Waterproof Grease experiment originally announced, it's just a grease experiment...

I'm not planning on cleaning out the klickbox and starting over; that would drag on too long. With the state of my health, and the state of Irish weather, the annual oil change intervals on my Rohloff fall at less than 5000km, and it is convenient to service the klickbox at the same time. I've already proved that the klickbox can go 3000km with a single shot of grease, and that's good enough for me.

I'm therefore calling a halt to the experiment. Perhaps someone who does greater mileage wants to see if the klickbox makes 5000km between services.

Thanks to all who contributed to the experiment. Particular thanks to Anto for the gift of the Phil's Waterproof Grease, and to Dan for arranging the posting from the States.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Thanks to all who contributed to the experiment. Particular thanks to Anto for the gift of the Phil's Waterproof Grease, and to Dan for arranging the posting from the States.
You're welcome. Andre. It has been interesting to see the experiment and it points up the importance of lubing the external shift-box, a step too often neglected. Any sort of lube there, as Rohloff advise, will surely extend its service life.

All the best,

Dan.