Author Topic: AXA Defender RL dimensions - for fitting on a Nomad  (Read 9944 times)

dbrown

Re: AXA Defender RL dimensions - for fitting on a Nomad
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion on adjusting the mounts, Dan, but hopefully it won't be necessary. I have just taken another look at the seatstays and it looks like you are right, they certainly have a smaller diameter than 19mm. I don't have callipers to make an accurate measurement, but my rough go with the tape measure put them at about 17mm. I was planning on ordering from www.dutchbikebits.com (good exchange on the euro) and they offer it with the option of ATB mounts for 16-17mm stays. So fingers crossed they'll fit nicely!

Haha, a fantastic use of the Abus, Andre! I really hope you are serious, I have had my fair share of run-ins with inconsiderate drivers. Not sure where you are, but after returning to the UK from a tour around Belgium and the Netherlands recently it really drove home how arrogant and ignorant drivers are here in their interactions with cyclists, and how different it could be. I have fantasized about a large illuminated hand on the front of my bike which could give them the finger or simply a giant flashing "F**K YOU".

I am sure the sound of smashing glass raining down on their beautifully upholstered interior would make a much deeper impression however. Superior engineering indeed!

Danny

dbrown

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
Dan -
Finally got around to purchasing and fixing the Defender, and got to say I am very pleased with it. I did have to mill down the mounting blocks in the end, my original measurement of my Nomad's seat stay diameter was way out. All went well though thanks to your guidance, so thanks a lot for taking the time to help me with that. If you ever find yourself on the east coast of the UK I owe you a beer!

I have attached some pics so you can see the spaghetti junction that is now my seat tube. Nonetheless, there's something very satisfying about having so much that can potentially be loaded directly to the bike in such a small area. While it is crowded in that one spot, it seems to 'clear up' the rest of the bike, if you know what I mean?

Danny

dbrown

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »
more pics

dbrown

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »
even more pics

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:33 pm »
Danny!

I was just thinking about your lock project, wondering how it all came out and then! you posted the above.

All I can say is...

"Well done!"
"What an outstanding job!"
...and...
"A first-rate installation!"

You can surely be proud how well it turned out and -- yes! -- for sheer density and packing efficiency, I think you have us all beat. In my opinion, it is packaged so very nicely, it really doesn't look a bit "tacked on"; it all looks well-planned and executed. This is a real accomplishment on any bike, but especially so with the challenges of a smaller frame, where there just isn't as much space to fit everything.

A very nice job, indeed, and I'm proud of you, too! Well done! Thanks for the followup post and great picture collages!

All the best,

Dan. (..who thinks Danny has this installation "locked up"!)

dbrown

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »
Cheers for the support, Dan, that's a fair bit of praise there! I'm sure the guidance I received played no small part in the successful outcome, though!  ;)

Best,
Danny

jags

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
say Dan would that lock fit my sherpa ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 11:47:41 pm »
Dan did get a lock mounted on his Sherpa... here is part of the story:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg19454#msg19454

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:45 am »
say Dan would that lock fit my sherpa
Yep! With the Sherpa's smaller seatstays and ATB kit, it would be a bolt-on, no-fiddle job, but you would have to relocate your pump from its present location (I moved mine thanks to a nylon Zefal pump peg and Doohicki mount down by the chainstay bridge). Summary post and pics here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1944.msg19741#msg19741

*Highly* recommended; once you have a ring-lock, you'll wonder how you ever managed without, jags. Of course, it is not the most secure thing in the world when used alone, but...
1) It beats having no lock at all.
2) It is always with/on the bike, so you can't forget it.
3) If you choose to have one that keeps the key in place while riding, you can't forget your key at home; it stores in the lock. I use a coiled keeper and wear the key like a bracelet when off the bike.
4) It is a locking solution so convenient, you'll actually use it.
5) Add a plug-in chain or cable, and you can secure the front wheel and the bike to a parking loop and secure the rear wheel with the ring-lock.
6) If you also add a U-lock, the ring-lock and cable then become additional security beyond what the U-lock provides. The ringlock and/or cable is not a substitute for the security of a U-lock, but it is a wonderful addition in higher-risk areas and it is the perfect solution when you need security to keep someone from riding away on the bike or simply picking it up (i.e. for me when I use a small booth-sized portable toilet and can't bring the bike inside with me). For this reason, it works well when touring, as the bike is likely too heavy to easily carry if still loaded. It is proving to be the perfect solution in my methamphetamine-fueled crime-ridden area, where "bike-jackings" are common anytime a person is not actually riding, say while taking a photo or peeling off riding tights. It has already become second-nature for me to reach down, flip the ring closed and slide the key-holding coil over my wrist, then take my photo or change my clothing.

Add it to the goodies list, jags! You'll never regret it...

(Thanks, Jim!  ;D )

All the best,

Dan. (...who now considers a ring-lock "essential" touring-bike gear)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:56:21 am by Danneaux »