Author Topic: The Red Centre Way and the Road to Old Andado - Australian outback tour  (Read 6834 times)

il padrone

Re: The Red Centre Way and the Road to Old Andado - Australian outback tour
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 02:50:42 am »
All the best photos of our outback tour are now posted on Photobucket here, with captions.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 05:41:08 am »
Very fine photos, indeed, Pete; thanks so much for sharing these with us. What a wonderful tour.

I did notice you mentioned a tumble at one point and the photo ( http://s1327.photobucket.com/albums/u666/petesig26/Red%20Centre%20Way%20and%20the%20road%20to%20Old%20Andado/?action=view&current=P1020126_zps0084c653.jpg ) looked serious, with some bags detached from their mounts. (Extrawheel stayed attached!). I hope you weren't hurt or injured, and the bike none the worse for wear. It takes only a moment for an unseen hazard to snag a person; I'm sorry this rut caught you!

You surely had some lovely camps, and I'm really tickled you included photos showing camp-life and your tent in various settings. Well done!

Surely some gorgeous scenery.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:55:02 am »
Sandy roads! I had quite a few tumbles (at low speed) when the front tyre dug in and the bike fishtailed. So did Rob. Mostly they were a damn nuisance for us, but injury-free.

The worst was the first, on a 6km section of the Red Centre Way between Redbank Gorge turn-off and the Hermansberg junction. My tyres were inflated too much, I caught some deep sand, and I flicked sideways, landing back first, with the back of my helmet whip-lashing onto a section of rock-hard surface. I had a real head-ache for some time after and the vibration of any corrugations hurt for the next 2-3 days.

That photo was a nasty fall because I was traveling faster on a fair surface and slight downhill, but the photo looks worse than it really was. I got stuck in a strange rut that went along the Finke Rd for many kilometres and the front tyre slid out on the edge. I went down fast with the right foot still clipped in, but amazingly got up with no damage to me or the bike. I just had a very small graze.... on my left forearm of all places. Both rear RH-side panniers bounced off, the steering was twisted right around, the front Ortlieb was on by one horribly twisted hook and the Xtrawheel stayed on but rotated under the bike. A bit of a puzzle to untangle!

Amazing how the Ortliebs' secure hooks manage to unclip when there is a real fall that might overstress the hooks. Lower tyre pressure (down to below 20 psi with the 2.15" tyres) was the answer, but both of the falls I described occurred before we realised that the tyres needed to be lower than we had them. I reckon the 2" tyre on the Xtrawheel was running at 12-15 psi - it was only carrying about 20 kgs after all.

Cheers
Pete

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
Great pix in photbucket
I really must get my wheels over to OZ one day
May I ask what camera you used?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 11:11:25 am »
A little Lumix point-and-shoot camera, the FH1. 12 megapixel with a 5X optical zoom. At the end of the trip, in Alice Springs I upgraded to the Lumix TZ-30, a newer model with 20X zoom, Leica lens and great HD video capacity. The last 8-10 photos in Alice Springs were taken with the new camera.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
Thanks for the fabulous nostalgia trip!

(Humility disclaimer: I didn't do it on a bicycle.)

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
I upgraded to the Lumix TZ-30...
Pete! I was hoping this might be the case, as I have been considering one. My TZ-5 has a terrible time achieving focus lock in any but bright sunny weather and gets particularly confused on days with flat, white light and water scenes. The autofocus also "hunts" continuously while taking video.

Has your new TZ-30 been okay in these conditions? Does it achieve focus lock quickly on gray days or when shooting bodies of water? You surely got some fine results with it as shown by those recent shots in Alice Springs.

Thanks and best,

Dan.