Author Topic: Frame Size and Crank Length.  (Read 7834 times)

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
Re: Frame Size and Crank Length.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
H,

After a few emails with the technicians at Thorn/SJS. Recommend for my height and inside leg at 32" to stick with the 565L unless you like the large frame feel of a bike? 'The 600L may be just that bit too big for you'.

Also advice on the cranks. If you've always used 175's without any problems and now go with 170's your body will shout back if it notices the change.

Any specials tools required for OBB?

Nigel
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:59:51 pm by nigelsbicyclejourneys.com »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »
Hi Nigel!

Good to have The Word from SJS Cycles.

As for the EBB, all you need for general maintenance is a 5mm allen key and the Shimano (or Park) tool to engage the preload ring. Shimano recommend very little torque on the preload, and they're not kidding. I prefer to install mine by lubing the splines on the spindle, then gently pressing the left arm home -- just! -- with my hand, then I use the preload ring to keep it in place just long enough to tighten the 5mm allen bolts. Be sure to do them up alternately (a torque wrench is Good to use) and recheck torque again in about 62mi/100km.

If you're installing one from scratch yourself, make sure the BB shell is faced squarely or the bearings can give problems and will suffer from a shortened life. Shimano (and Park...Pedro's too, for that matter) offer edge/spline gripping tool to turn the EBB into place, so you'd need those for installation/removal. The crankset should come with some thin spacers as well; these are moved from side to side as needs be to get the desired chainline. Again, a torque wrench is really handy here.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »
Thanks Dan top info  :)

Found a very good video from Pink Bike. 

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-shimano-crank-installation-2010.html

Taa

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
...a very good video from Pink Bike.
A superb video, Nigel!

Best,

Dan.