Author Topic: Ping, ping went my spokes  (Read 2284 times)

Cambirder

Ping, ping went my spokes
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:23:05 pm »
Unusual event while out on a day ride today. 35km in and I became aware that something not quite right with the back wheel, and a quick check revealed a busted spoke on the drive side, and as I was carying spares decided to fix it and finish the ride rather than slacken off the brake and go straight back home.

While changing the broken spoke I managed to drop the nipple into the rim a couple of time, the second time I did this something odd happened when I was shaking it back out again, one of the other spokes near where I was gripping the rim also gave up the ghost and snapped with a loud ping. Never had one go in my hand before.

Fixed both and road a further 50km without issue, but I think I'm going to get that wheel rebuilt with a new set of spokes before I tackle any long winter rides.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Ping, ping went my spokes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
one of the other spokes near where I was gripping the rim also gave up the ghost and snapped with a loud ping

Wow that is one freaky incident. Definitely gets a person thinking about causes. Where did the spokes break? Down by the hub?

Ah, well, one natural explanation: one spoke goes and that puts more tension on the neighboring spokes so then they're more likely to go.

But still, strange enough!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »
Man! Paul! I'd say you got your money's worth from those spokes and it is indeed time for new.

Good on you for the roadside repair; well done!

Next time something like this happens, you can use a little trick to prevent loss of the nipple:

• When you go to remove the old nipple, make sure it is pointing "down" as you unscrew it. This way, the nipple will fall on the floor/ground (perhaps never to be seen again) saving you from the terrible sound of it rattling inside the rim.

• Then, when you go to thread the new nipple on the old spoke, first screw the old spoke into the top (mushroomed) end of the nipple a few turns. The old spoke will serve as a handle to keep the nipple from getting lost inside the rim till it gets started on the new spoke.

Works like a charm and saves lots of time and aggravation.

All the best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:07:13 pm »
Yes they both went at the hub. A magnetised screw driver would have made things a bit easier.

Another lesson learned today, was don't lean over an upturned bike over the bottom bracket, unless you want a nice oily stain across you previously pristine top >:(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »
A magnetised screw driver would have made things a bit easier.
The nipples are plated brass. :(
Another lesson learned today...
Oh, no! That is just about the worst; what rotten luck!

Empathy and sympathy your way!

Aluminum oxide from braking on wet rims has an affinity for brand-new high-viz wind jackets, too. Always in the most visible place, of course.

Best,

Dan. (...who thought he was the only one who did that)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:26:17 pm by Danneaux »