Author Topic: Cateye Adventure  (Read 7803 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Cateye Adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:36 pm »
Which is going to be more accurate on distance? The GPS or the Adventure?
As with many things, "It depends", Matt.

If the GPS loses contact (i.e. in a "city canyon" or under heavy foliage, when it relinks to the satellites, it will attempt to draw the distance from the last waypoint as the crow flies (straight line) to make up the gap. In that case, the CatEye would be more accurate.

Also (depending on the profiles available in your GPS), if you have the GPS set to "snap path to road", there will be some minor inaccuracies compared to actual distance traveled as shown on the CatEye. Error aggregation probably won't get you, but it it something I have to acknowledge when traversing featureless deserts.

Also, if the GPS is sometimes turned off during your ride, the CatEye will also be more accurate!  ;D

Otherwise, it is roughly a wash, in my experience, with the slightest of margins generally going to the bike computer 'cos it is measuring wheel turns directly, rather than extrapolating from "ping points" on the satellite.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:40 pm »
I have been happy with the Adventure since buying it over a year ago.
In July it stopped working with no warning but x2 new batteries put things back on track.

Yesterday it stopped working with no warning.
In July I had nothing on the screen but this time I have the screen working but not picking up any data from the sensor.
I fitted a new battery to the sensor and made sure the spoke button was set correctly but no joy.
I also pressed the small button on the sensor to link it to the main body but nothing happened

The main body shows up the time and other data fields ready to start receiving but nothing changes.
The time is correct and the temperature changes.

Very strange indeed. Any thoughts folks?

It was a good new recognised make of battery put into the sensor.

The only thing I  have been unable to do is fit a new battery to the main body. The screw fitting does turn but the back won't pop off. (Any ideas on removing it?)
Given that data shows up on the screen I would think it unlikely that the main body battery needs replacing.
Any comments on that thought?

Can't link it to a knock or other man made fault.
Cold weather? Not to bad here in Scotland. Wet? Nothing exceptional.

Thanks folks

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
Matt, sometime sensor devices tend to be a bit finicky during battery changes especially when the previous battery has depleted to supply critical levels. Replacing with a new battery sometimes leaves the device in a sort of limbo state, so it's recommended practice to remove batteries and then leave for approx. 10 minutes (I generally leave it overnight) before putting in a new, hopefully good e.g. known brand, battery.

It's worth a try as it's free to do, and the current situation's not working  ;D

Robbie

I'm here, there and everywhere.

jags

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 10:24:50 pm »
i think i'de be sending it back to cateye ,i sent my polor cad200 back 2 times first time they fixed it broke again after a week sent it back and with a bit of hassle from them they thought better and sent me a new one. ;D
worth a try.

Andybg

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »
Matt
Just a quick thought. It may be worth going back through the pairing setup on the two units. The cateye adventure needs this on initial setup and and it may resolve the issue. The other option is removing the battery from the main unit (I know you are having issues with this  - I have found that if you use a coin almost the perfect size (thickness) you can then sue it to twist and then "prise" the back off) and do a full reinitialise.

I had the same issue with mine when I borrowed the battery out of the sensor unit for a run on another bike. A needed to do the above to solve the issue

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
Matt
Just a quick thought. It may be worth going back through the pairing setup on the two units. The cateye adventure needs this on initial setup and and it may resolve the issue. The other option is removing the battery from the main unit (I know you are having issues with this  - I have found that if you use a coin almost the perfect size (thickness) you can then sue it to twist and then "prise" the back off) and do a full reinitialise.

I had the same issue with mine when I borrowed the battery out of the sensor unit for a run on another bike. A needed to do the above to solve the issue

Andy

Thanks Andy. Still,having an issue with getting the back off the main unit. The coin does turn the back disc but then nothing pops off. The seal is very tight so I will keep on trying.
Like you say, resetting both units is hopefully the way to go. I have made a note of the total milage, so can key that in when doing the reset.
Nice piece of kit - when it works!

Matt

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »
I had a similar problem with mine when I was touring Italy. I could not get the d=sensor unit to link with the main unit when pushing the reset button. In the end I was going to wait until I got home and chase it up with my local bike shop, but then the computer got smashed in transit when I left it on the bars in the bike bag.

So now I have a new computer (Elite) which does all the tings the Cateye Adventure does and doesn't reqire this resettting/connecting process. It works very well for me so far

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »
Thanks Andy. Still,having an issue with getting the back off the main unit. The coin does turn the back disc but then nothing pops off. The seal is very tight so I will keep on trying.
Like you say, resetting both units is hopefully the way to go. I have made a note of the total milage, so can key that in when doing the reset.
Nice piece of kit - when it works!

Matt

Just managed to get the back off! Flipping think was well stuck on and must confess to chewing up the back slot a bit. Eventually put some thin oil around the edges and a couple of twists flipped it off.
Took out the battery. Left if over night to cool down, or was that me!
Put it back together, reset the settings and linked it up to the wheel sensor.
And bingo! Looks like it works. Out for a wee test run shortly in a damp Aberdeenshire.
Matt.
Thanks for all advice folks

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
I have it and I don't like it. Signal get lost, specially if the phone is near, or if it is too cold. It runs out of battery way too often as well.

But I don't like Garmin neither, I would just buy a cheap wire cateye and use my phone as GPS or any other GPS tracker, but I don't like how this cycle computer works.
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/