Author Topic: Leads on bike to suit 4'10'' rider?  (Read 3073 times)

seeking

Leads on bike to suit 4'10'' rider?
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:12 pm »
Hello All,

Any leads to where might find second hand Thorn tourer, frame size 44,45,46cm on modest budget most gratefully recieved..
Kate

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Leads on bike to suit 4'10'' rider?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »
Hi, Seeking!

Welcome to the Forum.  I recently wrote some tips on how best to find a used Thorn bicycle and posted them here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4537.msg22201#msg22201

Perhaps something in there will help. Now we know you're looking, I'm sure all of us will keep you in mind as we scan the usual sources. Yes, it is true the smallest and largest sizes can be hard to find, but they *do* come available from time to time, and I'm sure you'll find something in your size and price range. Don't give up hope if nothing springs to light immediately. People often use the slack time of winter to order new bicycles for springtime, and then put their older ones up for sale. If nothing appears in the next few weeks, it surely will by the time consistent good weather is upon us once again.

[EDIT: A quick check of the SJS Cycles website shows a 460XL Sherpa available at a reduction:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-sherpa-option-3-trekking-straight-bar-sti-spec-460xl-red-ex-display-prod18966/

Please note, SJSC say it "Will suit rider 4'11" - 5'3" with average proportions". If you need something smaller, the new Sherpa step-through frames are another possible option. If you already own a similar bicycle, trasnferring parts from it to a new frame can result in a fine bicycle at a very modest price. Before going further, it might be useful to fill out Thorn's sizing guide (available in each of their downloadable brochures) and perhaps give Thorn/SJS Cycles a call with regard to the correct size so you can look for the size most likely to fit. A lot can be done with stems of different reach and angle, but front-center frame reach and standover cannot be altered so easily. Best of luck; I feel sure you'll find the "perfect" bike soon.]

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:54:02 pm by Danneaux »

Kuba

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:02 pm »

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
Looks like an awesome bike!

However, it might be more suitable for audax/light touring and might not be able to carry front loads via "low riders" or carry more than 15KG

I would inquire a bit more about luggage load, tire clearance etc. unless you are going to stay on the roads.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)