Author Topic: Night, Cycling.  (Read 2648 times)

Donaldd

Night, Cycling.
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
Well i was wondering, what the forum think night cycling and training on wide roads
they normally frequent? i have been considering the concept, as this sometimes is
all the time i have to play with even if it is for an hour or so.Any expert person
person please share here.

Andybg

Re: Night, Cycling.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:58 am »
There are a lot of people (including myself) who enjoy riding at night. The issues over daytime cycling are mainly seeing where you are going and being seen.

Neither of these issues are insumountable but I would only reccomend night cycling to a profficient cyclist who has had a lot of road cycling experince is daylight hours before venturing out after dark.

Rgeards

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:27:56 pm »
Expert? Ha ha, that could be me if you count someone who goes out on 15 mile runs around the back lanes up here in South West Scotland.
I do the same loop every night so know all the ruts and wee pot holes along the way. Still have to be careful but on a good night with little traffic it sure beats a day time run.
Something about being out when I shouldn't kinda thing.
I wouldn't do it in towns tho!
Good front and rear lights a must.
Don't ask what I use, cheap n cheerful gets me there!
Good luck
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »
i have a great 10 to 15 mile route i can do, i don't normally go out until late ,that way i'm sure everyone that drives a car is either tucked up in bed or glued to the tv. ;) so i have lovely quiet dark roads to do my stuff  ;D ;D.
just be sure your lights are well charged and you can be seen from a good distance.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:02 am »
I ride at night through the summer and sometimes in the winter but not on the big wide roads that you specify (main roads where I live are lethal). Instead I ride on the same quiet country lanes I frequent in daylight.

Also, as has been said in this thread already, demands on your skill as a cyclist, and on your lamp system, are quite high. My lamp system, which I run in the daytime too as daylight running lights, is described at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html It lights up the road just like a motorcycle lamp would and is suitable for substantial downhill speed on badly surfaced, narrow but well-known lanes; the lack of side throw in the beam cuts speed considerably on unfamiliar roads. The same lamps are available for hub dynamo operation. Note that, though I loved the first series BUMM Cyo Nearfield lamp, the hotspot means that I cannot recommend the current series Cyo/Fly lamps from BUMM; try the Philips Saferide instead; I refer you to the articles so that you can see the sort of light output you should aim for to ensure reasonable security both in being seen and in seeing, and also in warning off careless or cocky drivers. The BUMM Toplight Line Plus rear lamp shown in the same article  is currently the best rear lamp you can buy.

Andre Jute

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:45:10 am »
I cycle once a week on a pitch black towpath...be aware of animals also.

Had a big badger on it two weeks ago, luckily he didn't feel like a bit of fresh cyclist leg :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:39:23 am »
It lights up the road just like a motorcycle lamp would and is suitable for substantial downhill speed on badly surfaced, narrow but well-known lanes; the lack of side throw in the beam cuts speed considerably on unfamiliar roads. The same lamps are available for hub dynamo operation. Note that, though I loved the first series BUMM Cyo Nearfield lamp, the hotspot means that I cannot recommend the current series Cyo/Fly lamps from BUMM;

The new B&M IQ Luxos is a much better light, considerably brighter and has added LEDs that give excellent side throw.

Beam shot

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »
that looks like a great light.
is it possible to run 2 of those lights frome the one dynamo. ;)

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
Not sure about that. The SON28 is supposed to be able to run an 'auxillary light', but I was never sure whether this was the same as the headlight or some specially modified headlight.

Catalogue for the B&M lights is here.

An extra item I hadn't noticed:

Integrated lithium cache battery
This additional energy storage unit is used for peaks of demand as well
as charging. Recharges continually when cycling. The charging status is
indicated by an LED inside the handlebar button.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:16:55 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »
where did you buy. ;)

il padrone

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »
Nah, not purchased. It's not available until about Dec 2012, so everyone will have to hold on, or put in advance orders  ;)

Me, I'm pretty happy with the Supernova E3 Pro, but the beam of this beauty is sorely tempting to upgrade the Shogun commuter's lights - still using an old B&M Lumotec Plus first generation LED.

jags

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »
ah right might be worth holding out for so

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »