Author Topic: Cycling, for thighs, stomach.  (Read 1711 times)

Donaldd

Cycling, for thighs, stomach.
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:20:47 am »
Well i was wondering if indoor cycling would help, to overall tone thigh and reduce weight fat in the stomach waist area? If so how can it, be achieved? How many minutes or hours every day should be done to achieve this goal? Also could this objective be achieved, even without doing other exercises.

Andybg

Re: Cycling, for thighs, stomach.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:05 am »
Welcom to the forum Donaldd

Cycling whether indoor or out is fantastic excercise and it will help tone your thighs. In respect to loosing fat (especialy in the waist area) it is a case of buring more calories than you are eating. From a general health point of view I think that doctors advise atleast 30 mins of excercise 3 times a week. If you are doing this minimal amount I think you would have to very carefully watch your diet if you were to see any benefits.

In contrast I do around 12-15 hours of excercise a week (predominently cycling with smaller amounts of running (outdoor) and rowing (indoor) and I dont need to watch my diet.

Where as most people would see indoor cycling as a chore you will find that most of the people on this forum will see cycling their bikes in the real world as being fun and exciting with the excercise they get being an added bonus rather than the motivation.

Hope this helps

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »
Hi Donaldd,

Yes, welcome to the Forum! While you'll find an enthusiastic group of Thorn enthusiasts here who are always eager and willing to help, but you might find even more directed and helpful answers to your fitness and conditioning questions on a forum dedicated to that end. I'm thinking trainers, nutritionists, and sports kinesiologists could perhaps come up with a targeted conditioning program for you that would be a direct route to the contitioning and weight loss in the areas you seek.

That said, I have always been under the impression that except for muscle toning, conditioning, and strength, area-specific exercises don't do much to target fat in specific areas, like the belly or thighs. Those areas seem to store or lose fat as a consequence of overall fitness and body-mass index. If I were looking to reduce fat in specific areas, I think I would embark on a general conditioning program with lots of aerobic exercise in concert with a carefully tailored nutritional regimen, with diet being first on the list.  As with any exercise or nutritional program, its always a good idea to consult your doctor first to make sure there are no underlying health conditons that might be a complication. Once you get the green light from your physician, you'll be in a much better spot to pursue exercise and nutrition.

And yes, bicycling either out in the world or on a trainer is a great way to increase overall fitnes and conditioning. It will improve muscle tone and strength. As for reducing fat in specific areas...not so likely. As a way to reduce overall body fat when coupled with diet? Yes, very effective, as is nearly any aerobic exercise. As Andy has said...do enough exercise, and you won't have to worry so much about diet, as you'll be burning off excess calories!

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best on your quest.

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »
have to say i hate turbo trainers with a passion peddling like a lunitic and getting nowhere .
if you want to loose weight its all about diet, i'm a lost cause when it comes to diet ::)
but yeah if you have a mind to loose weight  then diet and exercise is your only man.
good luck with the plan and dont starve yourself life is to short for that (or it will be) ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:04:41 pm »
...dont starve yourself life is to short for that (or it will be)

There's an old saying among the out-of-shape that exercise won't really make you live longer...it just seems like it.  :D

I sometimes remind myself of this when I am slogging up a 24% grade atop a 50kg+ touring bike and every turn of the cranks takes a seeming eternity to winch me upward.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:50:35 pm by Danneaux »