Author Topic: Lots of nice bikes!!!!  (Read 6269 times)

JWestland

Re: Lots of nice bikes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »
That SJS XTC is probably better suited than the one I have (the top tube is a tad too long) but as small touring bikes are as rare as hen's teeth, I got mine in April when the chance on e-bay, after months of hunting.

YIKES! Bit like buying a camera or PC, a few months later something better always comes up  ;D

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21:19 pm »
I had just managed to persuade myself that I needed the Mk1 Audax and he has taken it off the market!!

I am sure I did not really need it after all.

I love the look of the snooker cue xtc.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:42 pm »
I had just managed to persuade myself that I needed the Mk1 Audax and he has taken it off the market!!
Oh! Argggghhh! The neat agony of it all! 'Makes a person feel like these emoticons, in sequence:  :o >:( :P :-\ ::)

I usually tell myself, "Danneaux, it is no different than if it never was or if you'd read about it a year ago and it's long-since gone".

I am trying to be more philosophical about such things and tell myself "Not meant to be...".

Still, sorry you missed out after The Decision to get it, Andy. An even better one will be waiting for you, just around the bend.

[WRT that XtC] YIKES! Bit like buying a camera or PC, a few months later something better always comes up
Never fails me, Jawine! I have come to regard it as a useless super-power of mine. Now, if only I could refine it into something useful....

All the best,

Dan. (...sometimes *really* a day late and a dollar short)

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:19:12 am »
I'm soooooooooooooo tempted by that XTC, buy, sell my current one with is a 525L (relaxed position) and go for that one (racer girl position) :D Also fully lugged...hmmm...beauty....

But £90 shipping, cassette etc. need replaces and also that paint looks a little TOO good, mine looked like that on e-bay but it had big chips.

Time for a message to the SJS e-bay shop  ;D

And that Audax MK1 is a beauty indeed! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
Time for a message to the SJS e-bay shop...

Boy! New-bike fever is in the air!  Please let us know if you decide to go for it, Jawine!

Best,

Dan. (Remember the "Bikes For Sale" board...works for buying and selling...temptation calls...)

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »
yeah go for it Jawine why not i love the look of that bike not keen on the colour dont like red but nice lug work on it 8)

JWestland

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:47 am »
I am going for it, but the £90 postage is a tad prohibitive so might not be able to put as much in as I want!

A 51 cm top tube is short though for most people maybe I get lucky, bidding fever has begun though on e-bay.

So with some luck, an XTC in fantastic condition with a bit better top tube length for me, and then the oldie goes on sale. It's got more paint damage, but other than that he's sound, and new brake cables/housing, gear cables/housing, STI lever hoods and freehub body/tires means it's improved since April.

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:29:28 am »
Goodluck Jawine

Hope the bidding goes well for you.

Andy

Relayer

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:48:03 am »
Fingers crossed here for you Jawine   ;)

JWestland

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:01 pm »
Argh it's at £576 already!!!

And there's 2 days left, the last-minute e-bay bids will push it to be about £650 I would say. At least.

My budget doesn't stretch quite that far...also £200 more than mine on e-bay.

Time for some touch-up paint  on mine ;D

jags

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »
why dont you give your bike a new lease of life and go for a complete respray as son as i can afford it thats what my sherps is getting , take a look at the argos gallery of resprayed frames.£275.

JWestland

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 04:44:11 pm »
Is there no respray shops locally?
As I heard the ones in England can take their sweet time.

Andybg

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
If you are happy to go for one colour then consider powder coating. it gives a stronger coating and the turn around is days rather than weeks. You will generally have to do your own dissasembly and rebuild but the cost should only be about 50 pounds

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »
Might be worth asking if this can be done locally...and in a colour close to the XTC.

Does anybody know what process Thorn used for it?

It seems to have been done with a white undercoat, and then spray painted. Call me anal, but I want to get it painted as close as possible to how it was made.

If powdercoat can't do that, then I may have to save up and touch up in the meantime.

(don't change a winning concept, and all that ;)