Author Topic: changes you would make.  (Read 1693 times)

jags

changes you would make.
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:09 pm »
I guess not everyone that ownes a Thorn touring bike TOURS. ;D
but theres a lot of lads here that do cycle tour,so i just wanted to ask
Are you completly happy with your bike
your cycling  cloths
your wet gear
your cooking set up
your lights/computer/sat nav
and last your tent/sleeping gear/
myself i would say yes to all except my tent's, there good don't get me wrong but could be so so much better. ::)
although i 'm cycling most of my life this cycle touring camping is still pretty new to me and especally the camping end of it.when i first bought and pitched my hilleberg akto tent that came highly recommended i said to myself why the hell would anyone recommend this tent, it cost a small fortune and it's like sleeping in a coffin  ;D ;D ok it's light and easy to pitch even for me ,but come on hilleberg give me a break ,i want to walk into the tent i want to cook in it sit inside without having a crick in my neck. yeah it keeps out the wind and rain but god help you if you need to spend a couple days in it .then theres my Mountain Hardware Spear gt2, might as well give it the full title ;D way to heavy  i guess i'm dead lucky i haven't broken a pole yet as there next to impossible to get into the loops and it's [tough]* to pitch perfect and slow oh man is it slow to pitch , god forbit it was raining and windy i think i would be sleeping under the front wheel of my sherpa. ::)But yeah it has loads of room for sleeping chilling out cooking and even hiding from fellow campers if need be.
sorry for rattling on but hey i'm good at rattling on. so if you managed to read all of this what would you change for the better.. ;)

*[Slight mod for language by Admin Dan]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:07:03 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: changes you would make.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:04:33 am »
Hi jags!

Great questions; I guess my answer to most of them would be I am largely happy after all these years, but things are always in a state of small change and will continue to be 'cos I learn something new each trip (and in-between, as I think of new approaches). I don't see much revolutionary change, but a whole lot of evolution in what I take.

I do want to make up a proper SOL ("Short On Luck") kit for when my day rides prove too long to return. So far, I've never had a problem getting back from anything including 400km day rides, but it is inevitable it will happen someday, and probably on some logging road high in the Coast Range, the Calapooyas, or the Cascades. In preparation for that possibility, I'd like a lightweight, compact down bag to keep me warm down to about freezing. I have a lightweight pad (and wouldn't mind going lighter), and a bivy sack to make up a lightweight sleep system for emergency use/ultralight camping. The bivy sack is fine for me and looks just as spacious as a big tent with my eyes closed.

I have my little beer can meths stove (or the tiny butane cartridge one) and the alu bowl set, so the cooking is addressed if I also toss in some of my dehydrated soups. Good, warm, dry shelter, hot food, and I'm set for lightweight. Now, to make it all possible I need to shed a few grams' worth of dollars, but I've got to wait awhile before I can afford that.

As far as clothing goes, I really need to replace my threadbare wool cycling tights. I also need some sort of better waterproof/breathable shoe covers. Otherwise, my clothing needs are pretty well met except...I'd really like a GoLite down sweater filled with 850 90/10 down. Those things compress down to the size of an apple. Yes, that'd be real nice. I think I'd get the one with a hood so I'd have a ligthweight insulated head covering in the bargain. Black, to absorb even more heat from the early-morning sun. Rigged right, it could almost be half of my SOL kit's sleeping bag. Yeah, this one would do nicely: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Bitterroot-850-Fill-Down-Jacket-P46646.aspx

I'm eager to test out my present kit with some camping and make adjustments from there. I've added and changed a few things since last time, and it will be fun to see if they work as well as I think and hope.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:38:17 am by Danneaux »