Author Topic: finally got my new lights  (Read 7932 times)

jags

Re: finally got my new lights
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 04:48:33 pm »
finally stopped raining so i 'll give the new lights a test tonight. ;)

jags

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »
OK just back from a lovely spin this night riding is great  ;D ;D
that would have been my first  outing on my sherpa since may the steering always catches me out after been on the road bike  very heavy not as sharp as the road bike but still ok.
anyway the lights the verdict.
the rear cateye TL-LD1100 is only fantastic no need to worry about motorists seening it, every car that passed me gave me loads of room so they must have  seen it from a good distance excellent ;)

The Cateye Headlight Model HL-EL540 RC..
not as bright as i was hoping maybe i was expecting a bit much but at £75 i thought it would be a lot better.
ok moan over it's still a good light didn't have any problems seeing the road both sides and  30 maybe 40 feet in front but not super bright .i was just thinking if the son dynamo and  headlight is better than this i cant wait to get spa cycles to build it for me  ;)
but until then i'll settle for the cateye ( 7out of 10) ( rear 10out of 10)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »
Excellent report on the new lights, jags!

Really glad the rear light worked so well for you, consistent with every report on it I've read, so yours is one more "positive".

Thinking about the headlight...Man, I wish I could see one in person to compare to the IQ Cyo R. I'm not sure you'd see a lot better light from it. Remember, the SON28 dynamo just supplies the power...it is the lght unit that gives the illumination. 30-40 feet of clear road illumination isn't bad, and both sides means the CatEye likely has a good spill beam as well.

How did Reality compare to that photo from the CatEye website I posted above? About the same pattern, but maybe half the light?

Sounds like you're set for the meantime, and can get some more night rides in as desired, and do it safely -- seeing and being seen. I love night-riding myself...absence of daylight makes it an entirely different world. Even the Night Noises are different from Day Noises.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »
Dan i would say that photo was a wee bit exaggerated .
if the son  dynamo set up was quarter as good again, then you would be looking at compairing it to a car head light on dim which i would  be more than happy with.
yeah plenty of respect from car drivers that's for sure oh and the head light never lost any brightness for the hour it was on, i plugged it in when i got home it only took 15 minutes to fully charge it again.

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:55 pm »
Jags, I don't think a SON is going to make more power than fresh batteries. What you see on the road depends on the power of the LED and the optics.

The best optics ever, the first series Cyo R (the second series isn't as good; they screwed the pooch), got a bit better reach than you have by focussing the light very tightly and cutting out the useful sidespill. That can land you in the ditch if you ride on the limit in the dark. The Cyo for racers, without the reflector, has even better reach, at the price of zero sidepill and long dark patch in front of the wheel, worthless on our roads.

All these things are compromises. Batteries bring more compromises. I wouldn't be surprised if Cateye sacrificed a little light on the road for longer battery life.

I can tell you how good a really good bike lamp driven by a SON is. If you cast your mind back to when VW Beetle electrics were 6V, that's the amount of light a Cyo R/SON combo throws from a relatively low speed to a relatively high speed. It's probably a bit less light than a modern car lamp throws on dim. I also have the Fly E, which has the same optics as the Cyo, but now the second generation (cr@p) type with the hotspot "feature", which is effectively a constant current device, driven by the humongous 36V battery for my motor, so I can show you what light it throws at maximum power and efficiency. See http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html How does the lowest, traffic setting, shown in the dark of night, compare with what you saw? Is your lamp's throw wider or further or brighter or more even on the ground? Any of these would be an advantage worth having.

"the son  dynamo set up was quarter as good again" -- This isn't likely. It would require 60% more power/better optics. I'm sorry to have to say that you've probably already arrived at that breakpoint where every doubling of the price of your lamp system will halve the (already small) increment of improvement in light cast that you received for the previous price doubling. (That's another reason I'm doubtful about the claims for the BUMM Luxos lights Dan wants me to buy first -- they're just not expensive enough!)

A point comes, on lamps sooner than on most other components, where you have the best you'll get without spending several times as much money to get a modest improvement. On lamps that point has recently been jolted upwards by the switch from halogen globes to LEDs and the surge in their power and advances in their cooling, but now we're already back to the more common marginal improvement rule.

From manufacturers, exaggerated light throw photos are the norm rather than the exception.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 04:54:41 am »
Andre,

I repurposed a rear mudguard this afternoon to make an extended front version, and needed to undrill some holes. Attached is a photo of my results. The repair is even less noticeable in daylight without magnification. I simply took a leather punch, used it to even the margins on the hole I already had in the mudguard, then cut a slug from a trimming and affixed it with some beta-cyanoacrylate gel around the margins of the hole.

Done. Great for changing the routing on taillight wiring.

Don't throw your old mudguards away; they're perfect for repairing damage and holes in your working examples. Bike shops will often give old mudguards or scraps from them for free, perfect for repairs. This works in sheet metal as well, if you're handy with an oxy-acetyene torch and can brass- or silver-braze.

The chassis-mount hole plugs work as well; pictured are 3/16" and 1/4", but they're readily available in smaller and larger sizes as well.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:12:44 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:30 pm »
That's very impressive, Dan. I won't be trying the craft version with a precision cut insert, as it would take half a day to disassemble my bike to the stage where I can get the mudguard out, and another halfday to reassemble it again. But the chassis plugs look promising. Thanks for the photos. -- Andre Jute