Author Topic: The search for the single tube, all-purpose, universal grease  (Read 4628 times)

Andre Jute

The search for the single tube, all-purpose, universal grease
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:31:51 am »
Though I use a large pilot's aluminium case for the cycling tools relevant to my "low maintenance"  bike, space is still at a premium in it, and the more tubes of stuff you have, the greater the chance of a messy accident inside your toolbox. Also, tubes of lube can be expensive.

So I started the search for a single all-purpose, universal gunk. Let me immediately say that chain lube is excepted; clearly a different consistency is required than everywhere else on the bike. Also, getting it right for the chain is critical, unlike almost any other serviceable part on the bike. (We're also excluding the the Rohloff, where it is a matter of protecting your warranty to use the Rohloff cleaning and all-seasons oils rather than of any proven knowledge that other gunks won't do the job.) But that leaves a lot of components, threads, and suchlike.

Here are the four tubes I currently have, with some notes:

1. Oil of Rohloff.  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-special-chain-lubricant-50ml-bottle-4200-prod11989/ Chain oil with a remarkable stickitivity, and superb on threaded parts where copper gunk is too thick and resistant; I found that Oil of Rohloff was perfectly water-resistant, still sitting two years later in a bottom bracket where Park Assembly Grease simply wouldn't let me fit a Kinex or Shimano bottom bracket. I'm not at all sure that this beautifully clean oil won't do for all the jobs on my bike. Also cheap at about €5 for 50ml, which last forever -- I've used 30ml in three years, including two years and 4500km of using that bottle as a chain lube! A few drops really go a loooong way.

2. Park Assembly Grease. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/park-tool-asc1-anti-seize-compound-prod13562/ Nasty, dirty stuff, but very effective. Too thick really for precision cut threads (as all threads should be but so rarely are on bicycles or bicycle components). Dirty stuff to work with. Expensive . To be chucked next time I rearrange my toolbox.

3. Finish Line Ceramic Grease.  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/finish-line-finish-line-ceramic-grease-2oz-60ml-tube-prod17942/ This is for moving parts, and supposedly makes a micro-layer on them. I bought it specifically to put in the Rohloff EXT click box, which contains moving parts that should, according to the manual,have a spot of grease applied every 500 kilometres. Almost nobody except me greases this box, and after some experiments I now do it every 1500km -- and rising. But I no longer us the ceramic grease in the EXT box or almost anywhere else, because I suspect this lightweight gunk of washing away in water. In any event, it disappears, and any residue appears to have broken down. One place I still use it is on vintage rubber block pedals with unsealed ball bearings, which have a hole at one end of the axle just the right size for the pressure applicator I have attached to this tube of stuff. Maybe it leaves a layer of ceramic protection on those ball bearings; I hope so as I like the pedals and they're likely not replaceable. Expensive for gunk that doesn't seem to work well when exposed to the elements -- and when does a year go by that a touring bike doesn't repeatedly get wet? Definitely the least likely candidate here.

4. Finish Line Teflon Grease. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/finish-line-finish-line-teflon-grease-35oz-100g-tube-prod1588/  My go-to grease for every conceivable purpose. This too is meant for moving parts but its smooth, light consistency, attractive spreadability, and superb water resistance and longevity persuades me to use it as an assembly grease, to coat threads with it, to smear it on parts that need protection, and generally just to reach for this one tube when I need grease. I've even wondered how it would go on a chain, though I haven't tried that yet. In particular, I would never use anything else in my Rohloff EXT click box, which is a component vulnerable to the entry of water (it sits real low on all bikes with a good cable-run) in which you want enough gunk to pack it but not to make the operation stiff.  Another agreeably clean lube. The white colour is also useful because a line of it appearing is clear evidence of parts fully greased at their mating surfaces.

AND THE WINNER IS: Finish Line Teflon!

Do you have a single-tube candidate for a universal grease?

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: The search for the single tube, all-purpose, universal grease
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:30:53 am »
Thanks so much for introducing this topic, Andre. Your reviews here are cogent and useful, as always.

Over the last 35 years, I have settled on one brand of grease and general-purpose (non-chain, non-Rohloff) bicycle oil, and that is Phil Wood: http://www.philwood.com/products/gohc/oilngrease.php

My favorite is their waterproof grease. Green, of a wonderful consistency between the fingers, so good-smelling I'd happily bathe in it if not for the social stigma, and nothing -- nothing! -- resists water and corrosion better in my own experience. The dark green color turns a minty shade if exposed to large quantities of water and serves as a visual indicator a lube change is needed. For me, it is the definitive single-tube, all-purpose universal grease for bicycles.

Its only flaw is it can stain light-colored paint with continued contact over a period of years. This is particularly true on loose-ball headsets without seals; the grease can migrate outside the bearing case and stain white paint.

As Phil say, it "...is used to pack all our Phil Spec’d bearings for maximum durability. It is tested and has achieved the “premium” lubricant classification by all major bearing manufacturers worldwide", and even stood up to the corrosives in Mt. St. Helens ash for me when other bicycle lubricants including Campagnolo's much-vaunted "white" grease did not. Jobst would disagree with me ( http://yarchive.net/bike/grease.html ), but we all have out favorites, and this is mine. It even withstood my own version of the US Military's Hot Seawater Test for corrosion resistance...my gold standard for corrosion resistance. You can do this yourself: Make up a batch of water with salt content equal to that of seawater. Put it in a bucket on a hot-plate so it is at a constant 112 degrees F or so. Drop in a bearing race packed with grease, ball bearings, and more grease on top. Leave in the heated water for 24 hours and check it, then 48 hours and fish out to check again. Every bicycle grease I've used to date except Phil Waterproof grease resulted in some sign of rust formation on the balls or races when viewed under a 30-power side-lighted loup.

The MSDS for it is here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:hiJ9JDjCrJ4J:www.philwood.com/philpdfs/msds/Waterproof_Grease_MSDS.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgkH65gmcj2Xn2_U1sEp5TKAyLj2Y0I_g6EZqWAlzWdARYDMhEthTzNkQUPCFhLOlYUivhC4LsKbYXYTKSeQMRd8hSVEDHohCvO5iZNb_-fYv1Wuu1E-8-3Zwn1fHWrQXxpq51F&sig=AHIEtbSOfXdtuMDMu-ZCtKXBBI5j5CkH3g

For an oil that is almost too thick to call oil, but works well, stays in place, and has low-sling properties, I prefer Phil Tenacious Oil hands-down. Again, many years' happy experience in extreme climates, environments, and uses has made every other lube a second choice for bicycle bearings in my own use. Andre, if you have never tried Phil Waterproof grease or Phil Tenacious Oil, you really do owe it to yourself to pick up a container of each and give them a try. In the unlikely event you find they don't work well for your bicycle-related needs, I can say with confidence they'll still hold a place of honor for other uses, both automotive and home. About Tenacious Oil, Phil say it provides "...ultimate protection and durability for components that have movement with metal-to-metal contact. Our base oil has been produced for us by the same independent California refinery since 1971. Final blending of rust inhibitor and extreme wear addititves happen at our facility before the product is bottled and shipped".

The MSDS for Phil Tenacious Oil is here: http://www.philwood.com/philpdfs/msds/Tenacious_Oil_MSDS.pdf

If that isn't enough for you, Esquire magazine listed Phil Waterproof Grease as one of the 50 things a man should own (it is Number 26; I would rate it higher than that): http://www.philwood.com/products/gohc/ESQ050109ManShould_80.pdf

Now really, Andre, how can you resist?  ;)

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:08:37 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:36:08 am »
It's not me resisting, Dan, it's the distribution chain. I wouldn't mind trying the Phil grease, but getting some is not so easy here in Ireland.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 03:37:59 am »
If you'd like, Andre, I'd be happy to pick some up and mail to you for actual costs via PayPal. A padded envelope would do the job.

One Euro is worth almost USD$1.30 right now, so it would be a relative bargain.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:57:22 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
Thanks, Dan, but the postage will double the price and halve the satisfaction. I shall however take a raincheck on your goodwill for when something of higher value is required from the States, justifying the postage, and we can slip the Phil lube into the same package at that time. -- Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:58 pm »
I shall however take a raincheck on your goodwill...

No worries, Andre; keep the offer in mind for another time.

All the best,

Dan.