Author Topic: Ebike video  (Read 1448 times)

in4

Ebike video
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »
I'm not quite sure if posting this here amounts to heresy but in the absence of a Spanish inquisition, a comfy chair, ducking stool and Mathew Hopkins take a look at this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/video/2012/oct/12/e-bikes-review-cycle-video

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Ebike video
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
'm not quite sure if posting this here amounts to heresy...
Heresy? No...pedelecs/e-bikes are coming and once arrived, they will be irresistible to the masses to whom they will instantly appeal.

Y'know the old saying, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"? Well, if one has a few watts ready and waiting beneath their thumb, they will surely use it: "Gearing? Wozzat? I gots watts!". For example, a friend of mine tips the scales at over 400 lbs and wants (doctor's urging) to lose weight and become more fit. An e-bike appeals tremendously as a way to ease into the whole regimen. But will he really stop thumbing the power control? I...have my doubts. In this case, he tends to resist exercise because it seems like a lot of work (and is, at this stage). After all, he got a recumbent 'cos conventional bike saddles caused pain. It lasted a couple rides, then was sold on.

On the one hand, I think pedelecs are the panacea for many woes, and might actually get people (Americans, in my case) out on bikes and perhaps even pry a few out of their cars on days of good weather. The result would amount to a net societal good through reduced congestion and displaced use of fossil-fuel resources at very low levels.

On the other hand, if people use the electric-assist instead of actually pedaling (or pedaling aerobically), what happens to individual fitness? We have a national obesity and fitness crisis here, and I can't imagine this helping much. Perhaps of people commuted on e-bikes and then rode "manual bikes" for fitness on the weekends? Nah. Back to the "lotta work" idea. If one owns an e-bike, they'll use it in e-mode the bulk of the time, methinks.

I think pedelecs are a tremendous boon to those who cannot cycle the distances required or have terrain against them, or actually need the assistance due to health factors or just want them and have other ways to stay fit. I do actively fear people will be thumbing the power switch till the battery goes flat rather than pedaling a single stroke. There'll be a few surprises when the battery does go flat and they have to get the heavy bike home under muscle power. That will either be the end of it or will curtail the length of trips to what the battery can handle.

Usual disclaimers apply, just my opinion, fearing the worst, ducking for cover, etc.

Thanks for a great video; I think the gee-whiz wonderment of the reporter might well be typical of first-time users, and explains much of the e-bike's appeal in a few words: Convenience. No effort. Amazement. I find myself wondering if Thorn will build an e-bike using across-frame Sherpa or Nomad for universal appeal...if it embodied the usual Thorn virtues of careful and integrated design with high value, it could be a winner. Could that bike be the next Commutour?

All the best,

Dan. ("It's like a magic carpet ride...and no weight at all when you're on it"; yeah, that has great appeal...perhaps too much, I fear)