Author Topic: Shifter cable issues - please help a novice!  (Read 1771 times)

butcherjms

• Big Sur - riding south through the Americas
Shifter cable issues - please help a novice!
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:54:40 am »
Hi

I've just attempted to replace both shifter cables on my Raven Tour for the first time while on tour in Colombia - one suddenly snapped after 15,000km and I decided to change both just in case.

Maybe it's me...but after 2 attempts I still can't access all 14 gears. If I shift manually by pulling the hub cables I can access all 14 (ie 13 clicks) - but when I attach the bayonet connectors I can only get 13 (12 clicks). My guess is that I'm cut something at slightly the wrong length and so there is insufficient tension to get that final gear. From looking at the numbering on the shifter, it seems to be gear 1 I'm missing - the one I'm going to be using most in the Andes of course...

I am slightly confused by exactly where I should be cutting the shifter cable, as the instructions I've found seem contradictory if I'm reading them right. On my first attempt I used Thorn's video, which tells you to cut the cable 5mm beyond the male bayonet. This only gave me 12 gears, and so the second time round I used the Rohloff manual instructions, which say to cut the cable level with the tip of the bayonet.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, and how did you resolve it? And where do you cut your shifter cables to get the right tension?

We had to pay $170 to send my girlfriend's Rohloff back to Cycle Monkey earlier this week after the hub bearings went after just a year, so I'm not feeling the Rohloff love right now - any help to restore it would be much appreciated!

cheers, James
www.big-sur.co.uk

keleher

Re: Shifter cable issues - please help a novice!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:06:26 am »
This youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ha9__3VLg

says cut them 200mm past the housing, once you've pulled the cable against it's bedstop. That's what I did, and though it was quite difficult, I was able to get it all wrapped back up and put away in the external mech.

However, your shifting problem might just be because the hub gear was not set to the same gear as the shifter when you put the external mech back on. Make sure they are both in either 1 or 14.

gearoidmuar

Re: Shifter cable issues - please help a novice!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:26:16 am »
You may be able to fix the problem, James by fiddling around with the tension adjusters on the frame, i.e. the long sockets with a screw thread in which the ends of the cables from the shifter sit. Whichever gear you are unable to get, identify which puller will get it when you manually pull the wire below these adjusters. Then tighten that one (screw it so it's longer).