Author Topic: I have replacement knee joints. Should I cycle?  (Read 4876 times)

Durban-Road

I have replacement knee joints. Should I cycle?
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:59:37 am »
Hi folks,

i think I know which type of Thorn would suit me, but is there anyone on the Forum who has replacement joints (esp knees) and who also cycles. I'm not sure if 'metal-mickey' knees would be up to it. (I could have asked the surgeon I suppose, but I never intended to cycle. Recreational walking was my aim at the time, but now I think a bike would help take some of the weight when I'm going downhill! (Actually I stopped going downhill after the replacement knee ops btw!)

Thanks in Anticipation.

Mordecai  :)

I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure.

Andybg

Re: I have replacement knee joints. Should I cycle?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:08 am »
Hi

My father recently had one of his knee joints replaced and it was a question he asked his surgeon at the time.

The answer is it comes down to the amount of movement you manage to get back in your knee and whether you find it comfortable.

Before jumping in with an expensive purchase I would reccomend the following.

1. Do some more research n the web - there are plenty of cyclists with replacement knees to discuss the matter with.
2. Consult your doctor / surgeon to ask his views.
3. Get a staitionary (exercise) bike to get some strength and flexibility built up and to make sure it does not cause any after effects in terms of pain.

Also consider other options in cycleing: shorter cranks (reduces knee bend) or look at a recumberent (bike or trike) again which may reduce leg bend

Hope this helps

Andy

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:37 pm »
i  cycled with a lad that had two hip replacements ,strong as a bloody horse another guy had a  knee replaced he cycled with  some pain but he reckoned he would have the same pain anyway, but yeah he cycled ok . but the one thing they both said was to follow the doctors orders to the  letter , loads of rest and  proper exercise no rushing into things .
best of luck hope it works out for you. ;)

Durban-Road

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
Hi

My father recently had one of his knee joints replaced and it was a question he asked his surgeon at the time.

The answer is it comes down to the amount of movement you manage to get back in your knee and whether you find it comfortable.

Before jumping in with an expensive purchase I would reccomend the following.

1. Do some more research n the web - there are plenty of cyclists with replacement knees to discuss the matter with.
2. Consult your doctor / surgeon to ask his views.
3. Get a staitionary (exercise) bike to get some strength and flexibility built up and to make sure it does not cause any after effects in terms of pain.

Also consider other options in cycleing: shorter cranks (reduces knee bend) or look at a recumberent (bike or trike) again which may reduce leg bend

Hope this helps

Andy
Thank you Andy and Jags.

The knee op is about 3.5 years old now, and bending it is no problem. About the only thing I have to be careful of is kneeling, without padding beneath, or by using a special 'Knooler' (Stool-Kneeler) I made, for weeding the borders. I take most of the weight on my shin. That's about the only kneeling I do, as I'm no churchgoer either!

I do sometimes have pain where the mechanical joint is fixed into the shin-bone (Tibia or Fibula). I don't know which, offhand. That pain is probably down to the extra flab I'm carrying, but apart from that, I think it sounds like I'll be okay. So it's off to the Doc in the next few days for a chat, to make sure.

Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

I'll probably buy a halfway decent Hybrid off the flea-bay to start with!)
Mordecai.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »
Sounds like a good plan.

The other thing it might be worth considering a turbo trainer (exercise mount for the back wheel) so that you can get in some easy training and build up some strength before you get out on the road. CAn get them cheap on ebay but they normaly only run using 700c tyres so would fit the bill for a hybrid. I ran a Kona Dew for many years and highly rate it for a "cheap" runabout. I bought one new for 300 and one nearly new for 150

Best of luck and best wishes

Andy

Durban-Road

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »
Cheers Andy,

I felt that a used hybrid would be okay to get my bones 'oiled and shaped'. Who knows though? An old clunker might see me out and be all I really need; much as a Thorn is an attractive proposition. Plus the fact, should a bike be stolen it won't be a heart-breaker.
I have plenty of bits and bobs of angle iron in my garage. I could knock up a rear wheel support, and turn up a pair of wooden rollers. That should do it. On the other hand, how much easier to buy a turbo-trainer!  ;D

In the rafters of my attic I have a 1964 Major Nichols lightweight road bike hanging from the ridge. Would be nice to ride that again, but it wouldn't stand up to the rigours of 'off road' running; in the kinds of places I am walking at present. And in any case the tyre are perished!   :)

Thanks again Andy.

Mordecai
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:56:01 am by Durban-Road »

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:50:31 am »
No doubt people from the Veteran Cycle club are happy to take the 1964 Major Nichols of your hands and give it/him/her a good home if you won't use it/him/her anymore but want a good home for it/him/her :)

Still got my original knees so can't help on that front...

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Durban-Road

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:56 pm »
No doubt people from the Veteran Cycle club are happy to take the 1964 Major Nichols of your hands and give it/him/her a good home if you won't use it/him/her anymore but want a good home for it/him/her :) (No one wants it. Too old fashioned for  a user, not old enough for the Veterans!)

Still got my original knees so can't help on that front...  (Then I suspect you know how lucky you are. It was running and foot ball that caused my knees to go arthritic BTW!)  ;D

Best of luck and thanks JW

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
I'll skip on the running and football then :D

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/majornichols.html

You might be surprised...there's a big trend for vintage bikes in some areas and I looked up some Major Nichols bikes and they look spot-on compared to the current guff (carbon bah, alu frames bah, welded steel OK but not like the old brazed/lugged)

I'd probably like it as a "do-up" bike for the vintage bike outings we have in Norn Ire, but no doubt you are over the water and he/she/it is too big for me at a mere 1.65/5"5'...

Any pics welcome! :)

Durban-Road

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
Well JW,

The bike is a 22" frame (Seat tube length) and I used it because it suited me at the time. As I aged, I found I did have to lower the saddle in order to have my feet flat on the floor, when seated. (None of this toes-touch-tarmac rubbish for me! ) I think that must have meant my legs were getting shorter, or my bones were bending!  ;D Anyhow, that probably means the frame would be too large for you.

A few years ago I decided to resurrect the bike. I bought a good Campag dérailleur gear, to replace the original Huret set-up, but the knees going, meant it went on the back-burner.  It also needed (Still does) a respray, and unfortunately Major himself retired, before he could take on the job. Just a case of his and my misfortunes coming together at the wrong time! It also needs shorter cranks, because the original toe-clips could foul the front wheel if I wasn't careful! (But I don't think we use toe-clips any more do we? Aren't there something called 'cleats'?)

I will try a foray into the loft, and get it down for piccies, but as I say it's in need of a tidy up. I did once promise to take it to a gathering of other MN frame/bikes that takes place annually in Worcestershire. The fates willing, maybe I might get around to that, in May next year.

Cheers

JWestland

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 12:00:55 pm »
30" inseam legs...I do tiptoe however...what length is the top tube?

Anyhoo, one in good condition sold for £310 on Fleabay, and right now there's one on but they're asking £535 for it (bit steep, that)

If there's a local friendly bikenut club they can help with resprays, and you get can transfers online.
If you have any bother PM me I know some local vintage cycle nuts that can help.

Either resurrect it for fun, or be practical and see if seller it gains more cash than a respray might can be costly.

Fleabay or the vintage CC are good for getting parts too, as if you do want to change cranks you don't want to put new uns on. Vintage nuts will keep the toe cages no doubt.

As for me, clipless, I was tempted as I ride fixed too but SPD is just TOO practical and gives more control.

#Click, CLICK

Durban-Road

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:36 pm »
Well JW,

You are tempting me to resurrect it for fun.

The paint-job is original, as from Major's workshop, so it's not likely I would remove it at all. There are some scratches, but it's practice I am told to retain the original paint-job as long as it's respectable, which this is.  A few scratches, but nothing that would spoil a nice clean and polish. The transfers are from Frank Dyke, (Also long since departed) the guy from whom I bought the frame, and who built up the bike for me. Major Nichols did make frames for other bike builders of course. I saw Major a few years before he passed on, and he confirmed it was one of his frames. If there is any doubt, there is a number on the forks-stem. (Major did this on frames he supplied to other firms. It means the forks have to be kept with the frame or you lose the original stamping, and of course the forks have to be dismantled to get at the number.

The bike has a six ring carrousel, and a double chain-ring, (clanger) but I can't recall the ratios. I had it configured for hill-work, as where I live the terrain is undulating, to say the least. As a result, Wales was always a good place to take the bike. My inside leg is 31" too as it happens, but I still have to lower the saddle to keep my feet flat when stationary. I can always  dismount and straddle the bike, but that can present problems when riding off from traffic lights etc.

I'll have a look on the flea-bay, just for interest. If I do get the bike running again, someone might just have more use for it than me!

Cheers and take care out there

Mordecai  :)

PS. I had a look at the red, Major Nichols frame on Ebay. The frame seems to be identical in style to mine, right down to the lining 'fishtail' symbol on the top of the rear forks. (My frame is a metallic Copper, with gold lining.) In all other respects it's the same as mine, although I can't recall if mine has a wraparound rear fork feature.

M.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:35:24 pm by Durban-Road »

JWestland

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »
Well have fun and if you won't use him/her/it get a good price for it on e-bay :)
Cash towards a Thorn!

I got my second hand XTC off E-bay, £450 the older derailleur thorns can be reasonable priced. Rohloff ones are expensive secondhand also.

Raven/XTC do the job from 15-20 Kg touring, for more you need sterner stuff like Sherpa/Nomad. Most models crop up on ebay every so often.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:51:47 am »
KNEES?
I've clearly done something wrong in a previous life (or this one) my knee has started to properly hurt just as my final visa plopped on the doormat. Couldn't make it up.
It's hopefully come from a pulled muscle working its way up to another place but it's put me in a bit of a dilemma.
Do I go on my trip as planned and hope the warm weather will nurse it back to health. Or do I sit at home indefinitely, hoping it will heal, and throw away the chance to use the visas I have gone to so much effort and time to get?
If I do leave on the trip and I screw up my knee, what's the worse that can happen?
Both my GP and the sports Physio can't give a conclusive answer. They don't seem that worried though from a long long term point of view, just in the short/medium term.
Clearly I have a limited panel of knee experts on the Thorn Forum but I thought I'd throw it out there:)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »
If it's tight muscles or muscle imbalance, I know some good exercises/stretches.

(I do powerlifting eg squats/deadlifts which focuses on proper balance between front/back of body, and stretch cos it's SORE otherwise :)

I go to a back clinic/physio if something does really get stuck, so far so good. But you've already been there.

But I guess the sports physio has already given you homework?