Author Topic: Rohloff in the c-c-cold -- brrr!  (Read 5358 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Rohloff in the c-c-cold -- brrr!
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:46:58 am »
Hi All!

At the moment, it is almost 87F/31C at 7PM/19:00 hours, so it is a bit hard to put myself in a frame of mind where I'm thinking "Winter" and "Cold", but I know it is coming and there will be some frigid weather between now and Springtime.

I recently found a photo comparison of the Rohloff Speedhub versus a Shimano 10-speed cassette after a 10km ride in slushy snow in the cold of Finland. The Shimano is all frozen except for the bottom three gears, and the Rohloff is still churning away on its one, sans tensioner   See: http://www.bikestation.fi/info/fileadmin/content/dl/diverses/bs_i_n_learn_the_difference_LRG.jpg

Of course, there are many variables at play, but it is interesting for those of us who ride our bikes in snow or snowy conditions and wondered how the two compared. I've never owned a 10-sp cassette, but the photo agrees with what I've found with my 7-speed cassettes and 5-6 sp. freewheels when I've parked the bike in a snowstorm and then tried to ride it after sitting overnight in 0F/-17C temps. In fairness, I was able to crack the ice shell with continued riding, but at first -- yeah -- I was pretty much stuck in the gear it was parked in.

Any of us here on the Forum used Rohloffs in sustained bitter cold and/or freezing rain and snowstorms? How'd you fare? Without a change to a cold-weather-specific oil, did the hub still shift pretty well/usably at cold temperatures? If you did change to low-temp oil, did you wait for sustained cold and then switch back, or did you just push on with the year-'round oil and put up with any sluggishness for the relatively short period when it was so cold?

Thanks in advance for any tales to be told.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:38:05 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Rohloff in the c-c-cold -- brrr!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:19:34 am »
I don't have extensive experiences riding in the cold but I have put on studded tires and confronted a bit of the winter. I have never had any trouble or unusual behavior out of my Rohloff hub. I don't think I have ridden below about 10F, so I don't know whether issues come up down there... other than one's face freezing off, little details like that!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:57:18 am »
...other than one's face freezing off, little details like that!

Well, Jim...that's a pretty important detail! During the few times when it is really cold here, I ride with a balaclava like yours, but where my cheeks are exposed -- ouch!  Years ago (27), I commuted regularly in 2.5°-5°F/-16° to -15°C...and then it rained (freezing rain on-contact...made little hard hobnails of frozen rain that reminded me of Ice-Nine in the Kurt Vonnegut story ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice-nine ). I was wearing my fingerless cycling gloves, and then went into my work-study position at Uni, where I processed parking tickets to raw keypunch cards (showing my age, aren't I?  ;)). I...found I couldn't write anymore, and then my fingers began to hurt -- the ends looked as if someone had inserted white pearls under the skin. I went to the Uni health service for an opinion and was told I had frostbite in 8 of my 10 fingers. They're been cold-intolerant since, though I find if I wear something to break the wind -- even nitrile solvent-safe gloves -- they do pretty well.

But back to derailleurs vs. Rohloffs in the cold...I never had much trouble in cold and ice with derailleurs and made and rode my own studded tires (they made pretty yellow sparks at night if I applied the rear brake too hard and skidded on pavement -- which I did a lot, after discovering the pretty yellow sparks). The derailleur held up very well and I had no problem save the times the bike had to be parked out all day in near-zero temps and we had the freezing rains. The crust that formed looked a lot like that shown in the photo referenced above, but it also peeled off after a short time.

I think I avoided many problems by not riding in deep snow. Deep snow (whether powder or wet) tended to pack up in the mudguards and froze the tires to the mudguards and that was the end of forward progress. I finally concluded with my road bikes at the time (700C wheels), fairly tight mudguard clearances, and the sort of snow we get around here, the only way it would be very successful would be if I went without 'guards. I never did, mostly because that kind of snow and those temperatures never lasted in combination much beyond three days, and it was easier to find other solutions or ride on plowed roads and forego the unplowed bike path (especially after one sort of desperate can't-be-late pre-exam commute when the wheels packed up and I ended up carrying the bike through 6 inches of snow for 5.5mi/9km. Then home again in similar fashion. It was a long day but I did well on the exam, so it was a good one in the end.

Good to hear the Rohloff never gave you any trouble, Jim. Looking at that photo of yours, the room just chilled about 20 degrees, and I backed my chair away from the computer screen so I could rub my hands! What a terrific shot! You look very intrepid and extremely capable!

All the best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »
I had frostbite in 8 of my 10 fingers

Good job you have 2 spare ones  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
Good job you have 2 spare ones

;D And, it leaves my thumbs for typing, Paul; all good!  :D

All the best,

Dan. (...they'd prob'ly still work for hitch-hiking, too...)

sg37409

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:45:39 pm »

I still try to go out in the snow: on deraillered and more recently the rohloff. Deraillers jam up, the rohloff hasn't. These were taken on the railway path where the snow stays nice and clean, but on the heavily salted roads, the detailers fare worse, and can need a total overhaul after a ride.  However, when its snowing that much, I usually stick it in a low gear and rarely change.  So, in that respect, gear changes are a moot point.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:45:48 am »
Wow! Steve! Those are some photos!

My, you surely did well to make any forward progress with either drivetrain (Rohloff as shown, or deraillers), and your pictures put the Finnish examples to shame.

The temperature around my computer just dropped a nice 50°F! B-r-r-r, indeed!

Good on ya; that is a real feat.

Best,

Dan.

wheezy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:09:42 am »
With snow and ice building up under your mudguards, and especially around the brake calipers, it's not going to make much difference how freely your drivetrain is running. The wheel is going to stop. :(

sg37409

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:29 am »
No, the wheels still turn ok, Snow/slush/ice does build up, but as the motion is only rotation, its ok. Anything that needs to move laterally (brakes/deraillers/etc) are the bits that stop.  I got really fed up this winter: Usually its not *that* cold here, but we had an extended period of really low temps, and rather than snow  the paths were mainly ice, unridable. Winter tyres in UK suddenly became sold out every where. I ordered a set and they came just after the thaw, but at least I have them for next winter. They're pretty big and don't fit under the mudguards though. They're sitting unused, ready for the next ice age !

wheezy

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:35:26 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean "you" personally, I was generalizing.

It will freeze solid under there in the right, that's to say, wrong, conditions. I have personal experience... :'(

stevendpclark

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:41:39 pm »

Any of us here on the Forum used Rohloffs in sustained bitter cold and/or freezing rain and snowstorms? How'd you fare? Without a change to a cold-weather-specific oil, did the hub still shift pretty well/usably at cold temperatures? If you did change to low-temp oil, did you wait for sustained cold and then switch back, or did you just push on with the year-'round oil and put up with any sluggishness for the relatively short period when it was so cold?

I went through my first winter with my Rohloff built up Surly Troll last year. I live in Montreal, Quebec and am a daily commuter. The bike saw 1-2 hour long rides in -30C/-22F without a single hiccup. Of note I do store my bicycle in a heated garage so it has some serious temperature change every day. I didn't bother thinning out the oil, or anything special.

The only real modifications I do to my bike is to swap to studded tires and lift up my mud guards as you can see in this photo

I used to ride with a 9 speed derailleur bike, it was the amount of maintenance I needed to perform on that bike that got me to built up the Troll with a Rohloff (Salt and snow took a heavy toll). The Rohloff has been by far one of the best purchases and I'm looking forward to another winter of riding it.

Also the grip shift is much easier to operate then any trigger shifter when the glove size gets larger, past -10C I start wearing a big pair of icebike mittens (http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/icebikemittens.htm).  

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »
Hi Steven!

Welcome to the Forum!  My, that is a nice-looking bike you have, and a very clean drivetrain conversion. I'm guessing you're using a MonkeyBone or similar to use the disk-mount bolt to engage the torque-reaction tab? What a good idea to so nicely raise the fenders for snow clearance. I do something similar on the front fender for playa clearance, and it makes real sense.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:17:28 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:44:51 pm »
Ouch, I thought we had it bad in Belfast, UK but it was merely a case of trying not to lose your teeth on black ice.

Mind you, two years ago all I had was a bike with a SA hubgear which has sat outside in the frost, and the only thing that went awry were the brake/gear cables  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

stevendpclark

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:44 am »
Welcome to the Forum!  My, that is a nice-looking bike you have, and a very clean drivetrain conversion.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm guessing you're using a MonkeyBone or similar to use the disk-mount bolt to engage the torque-reaction tab?

Actually no, the Surly Troll has an OEM2 mount built into the frame, so nothing special required. It's one of the few affordable frames designed for the Rohloff that we can get our paws on here in Canada.

-Steven