Author Topic: Rohloff box break-in  (Read 2067 times)

Andre Jute

Rohloff box break-in
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:23 pm »
In another thread, Dan, the owner of a brand-new Rohloff-equipped bike, says:

Andre,

I am pleasantly surprised to find operating drag is not noticeable; I find I still fall into my default 110-120RPM pedal cadence, just as I do with my derailleur bikes, and haven't noticed the Rohloff holding me back in any way (my 62-inch Gear 11 keeps me in the 17-21mph/27-34kph range at my preferred hummingbird-like cadence). Keep in mind, my Rohloff is still essentially brand-new and far from broken-in. It can only get better.

Good things await.

Best.

Dan. (...more amazed by the day at the R-box's virtues)

Mmm. I expected a break-in period of about 2000 miles... Chalo Colina disillusioned me. He said, only half joking, that a Rohloff gearbox is broken in about the time when your less puissant Japanese gearbox is being honourably retired.

Certainly, with 6000km/3600m rising on my Rohloff box, there is no wear on the box. It works pretty much as it worked from new. I would expect it to be good and tight for a very long time. Think about it. Besides its sturdiness and "proper" design, what makes it a Rohloff with a virtual lifetime guarantee is the lasting precision of its assembly.

However, the peripheral controls, which when new I condemned as "agricultural", have become perceptibly smoother. Only today I noticed with pleasure that I was slicing through the box one definite notch at a time, but very quickly in order to match the fast-changing gradient at a junction on an uphill road on which I once lived, not breaking cadence, nor needing more than the touch of the electric assistance already applied on the steady hill I had been ascending until them. At the top of the hill I stopped to talk to an erstwhile neighbour walking his dog. "You didn't break sweat on that steep turn," he said. "Do I take it you recommend your particular electric drive?" I was proud to reply, "I did that with the gearbox. Junk the derailleurs on your bike, get a Rohloff, and you'll be able to put off the electrics another four, maybe six years." He looked very thoughtful. I knew what was in his mind: he couldn't possibly change gear as smoothly and quickly with his derailleured bike. I must have looked pretty good steaming around that tight uphill turn so smoothly...

I were you, Dan, I'd look for the gearchange mechanism to lose that new edginess about 2K, and not worry about break-in beyond that.

Also, don't look for the precision of a Nexus change. It will never arrive. If, on a run-in box, your gears snick in positively, and you can invariably read the gear you're in off the control engraving, you cables are too tight. The gear does indeed go in positively, but with a sort of soft, positive plop rather than jewelled small-BMW click. On optimally set cables the gear control will play between at least a whole gear and two gears to each side of the actual gear it is in, but this doesn't matter (except to obsessives) to the operation except that if you don't have it, your cables are too tight.

Try to stop looking at the control. You don't choose gears on a Rohloff system with your head, as on a derailleur system where you need a table pasted to the stem of so many up on the right with so many down on the left, you choose them sequentially by the seat of your pants, without thought, by just twisting the control until you pedal comfortably. Let your body choose the gears for you, not your brain.

Above all, just enjoy. Ride the bike, don't think about it.

Andre Jute

PS I liked "hummingbird cadence" so much that I've already stored it for future use!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:22:45 pm by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rohloff box break-in
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:24:22 am »
Ooh! Nice new thread, Andre...

You thoughtfully penned...
I were you, Dan, I'd look for the gearchange mechanism to lose that new edginess about 2K, and not worry about break-in beyond that.
...Andre, this is wonderful news to me. This is a bike I intend to keep for 20+ years and ride a lot. That 2,000 miles is only a dozen or so of my longer day rides, so will not take too long to accomplish. Already, I have found the gearbox to be smoother and quieter from the first use, both under drive and while freewheeling. I am beyond delighted.

On optimally set cables the gear control will play between at least a whole gear and two gears to each side of the actual gear it is in, but this doesn't matter (except to obsessives) to the operation except that if you don't have it, your cables are too tight.
...then my cables must be spot-on, because there is considerable play of the type and amount you describe, Andre. Still, the little Rohloff "bird" indicator on the shifter gives an approximation within one gear or so...which (oddly, in terms of my usual preference for high precision) is just fine!

Try to stop looking at the control. You don't choose gears on a Rohloff system with your head, as on a derailleur system where you need a table pasted to the stem of so many up on the right with so many down on the left, you choose them sequentially by the seat of your pants, without thought, by just twisting the control until you pedal comfortably. Let your body choose the gears for you, not your brain. Above all, just enjoy. Ride the bike, don't think about it.

<nods> This is really very sage advice, Andre. I am absolutely astonished at my change in attitude. It just doesn't matter anymore that I "know" which gear I am in. I keep catching myself looking down and back inside my right thigh to catch sight of which freehub cog the chain is on...and then laughing that I do! This is one of the great (largely unsung) virtues of the R-box -- renewing a bit of the innocence of riding, and I find myself almost giggling over the revelation as I ride. There is a simple joy akin to riding a Fixie, but with more. "More" as in I can still freewheel when I wish, and there are 14 choices for my gearing to match conditions.

As someone who did my first 100,000 miles on friction-shifted derailleur bikes, and then into my second (and only recently indexed at the cassette/still friction-shifted at the chainset), I had integrated all those cues -- no cross-chaining at the extremes, watch the progressions, engineer my range so my most-used combos had a straight chainline, learn the quirks of a given derailleur and compensate for late or early shifting with a pull-back or push-forward of the lever after each shift. And, of course, the gear chart on the handlebars and the inevitable double-shifts to progress up or down through the available combinations. I loved it...but I also love the newfound freedom in forgetting about all of it and achieving the same or better results. Just as you say, I am learning to let go and simply twirl the dial as needed to match the demands of the moment.

Bliss. Pure, unexpected, and most welcome bliss!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:27:16 am by Danneaux »