Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 231780 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:58 pm »
Funny the scale of things. Here on the east coast, New York and Pennsylvania are good sized states. Oregon is about as big as New York and Pennsylvania combined! A whole lot of space out there!

Of course, a lot of it is that forbidding desert that Dan is so wise to avoid during a heat wave!

jags

« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:14 pm »
just added a  link jim some nice short videos the guy with the camera is gerry he's seems to be loving it all first tour as well. ;) other guy is dave english man but lives here in town a good many years very strong cyclist.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:26 am »
Dan, I aborted my Oregon Coast tour after I went hypothermic in 50º weather with driving rain, and, of course, Oregon hills (thus, sweaty sweaty followed by long downhill).

Back in my 30's, I would have continued, and probably wound up in the ER, because stressing your body that thoroughly is dumb. It's disappointing to not meet plans, but much better than harming yourself.

Enjoy the series of mini-tours!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:24 am »
Thanks so much, George; very wise words indeed. I'm so very sorry you needed to abort your Oregon Coast trip...but it was because you needed to abort, and were smart enough to do so! You were ever so wise, especially in those circumstances. A person can get so core-chilled in those conditions that after a certain point, it really isn't recoverable without medical intervention if one is so fortunate. I have seen it happen over and over since I was a kid, when my family spent time at our little vacation cabin in Yachats. The weather can change so quickly and catch one out even if well prepared and in the middle of summer. Though it is now mid-July with sunny forecasts ahead, I'm taking my full rain gear, fleece jacket and balaclava, gloves, booties, and winter-weight wind-faced tights with me

Yes, without question, it is better to know when to call it a day and come back another time when conditions are more favorable. Recently, I saw the results in yet another person who climbed Mt Hood and perished in the attempt. The problem, in part, is the mountain's ready accessibility to both major population centers like Portland and to the parking lot, which dumps directly into the summit trail system. People hear about it or go skiing there and think it'd be great to climb. They can literally start climbing from their cars, and it seems many more are doing so unprepared and paying the sad consequence by being unready or unwilling to return and go again another time. Even experienced climbers can get caught out, as in the case of last week's fatality.

I'll be packing a little differently for this trip, so right now the bags are open and emptied in the living room as I sort through them and adjust what I'll be taking. I got my new maps today, and was so glad I did; the Forest Service and BLM road numbers have changed in the 31 years since I last did this particular route. It will be interesting to see the other changes that have taken place, and I'm hoping to see some animals as well. Last go, my father and I saw a cougar, many deer, and a Roosevelt elk in addition to the usual smaller animals. I really don't need the trailer for this trip, but view it as a golden opportunity to give it a go and see how it does, making adjustments along the way. I'm going to also try something new in terms of offloading and displaying my GPS tracks, and I can't wait to see if the computer will connect in the wilds, and I have the cameras to try, so this is a chance to play as much as anything. I'm really looking forward to it!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is grateful to have reached a point in life where good sense seems to prevail more often than not)

Relayer

« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:01 am »
Hi Dan

Sorry your big tour plan can't be done this time around, but you'll get there sometime. 

The important thing is that you get out touring, and whether it's one continuous or 2 or 3 consecutive shouldn't make too much difference - in fact beneficial if you want to test a few different setups out.

Enjoy your tour(s) Dan, you still have some awesome country over there to cycle tour through.

Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:06 pm »
Hi All!

I just heard there is a very good chance one of our members will be passing through Eugene on Thursday morning for a meetup and coffee, so will delay departure that little bit longer till he can get here. Working out the details now.

Always nice to meet a fellow Thornist, especially one who has crossed most of a continent to get here.

Dan. (...more later, as things develop)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:57 am »
Hi All!

The inevitable photographs...

Best,

Dan. (...who is beginning to think he's lost his mind. The lot is not only as long as a freight train, it weighs about the same)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:41 am »
More.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2013, 02:16:37 am »
You're surely ready for a major expedition, with a set-up like that!

The world beckons!

Andybg

« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2013, 06:38:07 am »
That is one professional looking set up you have there Dan. I know at the time you were favouring black ortieb panniers to go with your stealth look but to be honest I think the red with the black just looks right and I think all black may have just looked a bit too ominus.

I am looking forward to your findings on this first true setup test and I am sure you are setting the benchmark (a very high one at that) for future builds.

I think you may have moved from being able to call it an expedition bicycle to it being a true expedition vehicle.

Andy

Donnydid

« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2013, 06:52:22 am »

Crikey! Thats a cracking set up!
You've really set the standard there Dan!
The red and black ortliebs look fantastic, I might just invest in them myself.
Have a great adventure!

Dave

ianshearin

« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2013, 07:53:09 am »
Surely SJS should look at putting your bike on their marketing literature, it doesnt get any better.....

Have a great trip Dan
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2013, 08:35:13 am »
Hi Dan,
What a beast!
And good looking to boot.
Any idea of total weight as she stands before you step aboard?

Also, I am a snake fan. You mentioned the animals you hope to see. Will snakes be a problem in your area?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »
Hi All!

Thanks so much for the kind words; much appreciated, as I work largely in a vacuum as far as local cyclists go; no one seems to do these sorts of things and have little interest in my expeditionary setup or pursuits.

Yes, Andy, it is funny how things sometimes work out for the best. After wishing like anything I could have gotten the all-black Ortliebs, I went with the red-and-black ones because of some massive price reductions. The front SportPacker Plus bags were "only" USD$72 after a sale price, stacked coupons, and some cashed-in store dividends at REI. Regular price at the time was around USD$228, now USD$210 -- but only in the red-and-black combination! I like them now, too! I tried to tie-in little touches of red in the black on the bike so the lot would look more integrated (red silicone gripper bands on the bottles, red accents on the Blackburn B-52 Bomber cages, etc). I was at first a little disturbed the pattern atop the front pannier caps didn't match the rear, but Ortlieb tell me they made the change in response to user requests. Apparently the black tops really are easier on the eyes in terms of reduced reflection when mounted on low-riding racks. The handlebar bag is all-black 'cos that's the only color offered in the Ultimate V large, and it was on a big sale, too! It ties in nicely with the red and black elsewhere.
Any idea of total weight as she stands before you step aboard?
Matt, I know when it is fully loaded with the full 20l of water in the trailer, the lot comes in at a heady 70kg/154lb. I expect it to be less now, thanks to some different food choices (I have to go with canned when resupplying at rural stores) and only 6.5l of water in reserve. I have a dual-scale measurement rig so I can get absolute weight of each piece as well as weight distribution of the bike, bike and trailer, and each with and without my weight added. It makes it much easier to make packing decisions. I will weigh it this afternoon and give you an update.
Also, I am a snake fan. You mentioned the animals you hope to see. Will snakes be a problem in your area?
Matt, seeing and interacting with animals is one of the great joys of touring for me. I love how, when I first arrive at camp, the place seems dead. Pitch the tent, put the kettle on, and settle in for an hour or so, and the Welcoming Committee come 'round. The air comes alive with birdsong, and the little ground and bush-dwelling birds come right up to my feet. The bushes begin to wiggle with the smaller creatures like ground squirrels, porcupines, raccoon and 'possums, and they're all there to check out the new neighbor -- me! I do my best to be a good one, leaving the camp just as I found it...or better; if I find any trace of visitors before me, I remove their trash as well and fluff up the grass again after packing my tent. The goal is to leave the place as if I hadn't been there.

Among my animal friends are snakes, of course. The ones I encounter are essentially shy around people and have not been a problem. I like rattlesnakes, and will sometimes sense a presence at rest stops and look to my side to see one stretched out, basking in the sunshine on the warm roadway as close as a meter or two away. The most common ones I see are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_oreganus ...and... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_oreganus_lutosus On a prior trip through the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_National_Wildlife_Refuge ) I stopped to explore the old, abandoned Director's cabin. Approaching on foot through bunchgrass and sage, I heard many sizzles from rattlesnakes. I just stopped when I heard them, located where they were, and altered my course. I appreciate their saying, "Hey! I'm here! Don't carelessly step on me, Mr. Bigfoot, I don't want to get hurt!" My larger concern comes when riding cross-country through the sage and brush, when my greater speed on the bike might put me on a rattler before I could hear it. I don't want to harm one, and I don't want to be bitten. I also don't want any ehm, "snakebite" punctures!  :D

I also take care in the desert when "dirt-bagging" (sleeping in a bag on a pad without putting up the tent) to make sure I close the zipper at the foot to prevent a snake from seeking warmth and entering. I shake out my shoes in the morning to avoid jamming my foot into a scorpion's new home. In the "regular" forest of Oregon's Cascade and Calapooya mountain ranges, I am far more likely to encounter furry animals -- certainly deer and the occasional Roosevelt elk and sometimes a bear. Little bunnies and porcupines as well as golden-mantled ground squirrels are much more common and represent the greatest threat to my panniers in terms of gnawing holes when searching for food. I often see snakes sunning themselves on little-traveled gravel logging roads. If one seems sleepy and reluctant to move, then I'll stop a distance away, stamp the road a couple times with my foot, and they soon get the idea to lazily wander off into the brush.

I've attached a couple photos of snakes I've seen on recent trips. Next post, I'll show you the sort of cross-country terrain where I have to be more watchful of snakes to avoid running into/over them.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:43:58 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »
More snake stuff for Matt...

Best,

Dan.