Author Topic: How loud is a coasting Rohloff?  (Read 10020 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How loud is a coasting Rohloff?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 07:28:02 pm »
how about you doing a video blog on your build
Brilliant idea, jags, I'll do it! Good on ya!

Even better would be to set up the camera and make "the unboxing" the first in the series...seeing the box opened, then laying out all the pieces on a bedsheet, the unwrapping and first look. Then, add installments as the bike gets personalized. Little things like installing the Tout Terrain The Plug and so forth with the reasons why, how, all explained. I could also capture the sound of a coasting Rohloff for those who haven't heard it, with updates as it changes with age/use.

Yes! It will be a great way to share the exciting day of arrival, then build from there. When I was waiting for my Sherpa order to be filled, I would have watched a video like that over and over and over and...

All the best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »
Hi Holly welcome to the forum, you have blown a bit more of Dan's cover. I always thought he had an educational background because of the way he encourages all us newbie posters. Thanks Dan.

Anyone into freewheel noise in a big way just needs to type "freewheel noise" into the you tube search box.

I would describe Rohloff audibility just like Il Padrone Pete already has.
Cheers
Ian

jags

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »
yeah welcome Holly  good to have you aboard hope you stick around. ;)

wildrover

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »
LOL.  Thanks!  Glad to finally delurk.  :)

jags

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »
holly dan has a photo gallery going on somewhere on the forum why not post a few photos of yourself and your bike.. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »
a photo gallery going on somewhere on the forum
The Forum has a Member's Gallery board right here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=5.0
We also have a Rogue's Gallery here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3981.0

Always great to see the piccies; it is a section I return to again and again. My latest adventures there involve trying to count chainring teeth using the end of a cocktail toothpick to keep my place on the screen as I count. Want to see what gearing others are using on their Rohloff bikes. I do okay finding the teeth on the backside of the chainrings, but get lost where the chain covers the rest.

Best,

Dan. (was that a 39T or a 40?!?)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:40:40 pm by Danneaux »

Relayer

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 05:40:49 pm »
Mine freewheels silently in the lower gears 1-7, and has a variable amount of ratchety sound in gears 8-14, but not anything you notice much after the first few rides.

+1

P.S.  Welcome Holly.

triaesthete

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 08:48:46 pm »
Had a closer listen to mine last night after looking at this thread. You get a freewheel ticking and a gearmeshy whirr at the same time whilst pedalling in 7. You can play ratchety tunes by changing gear whilst coasting.
I'm sure Dan, you will soon develop a ratchet noise notation system so you can tell the gear you are in by ear.  ;D

Ian