Author Topic: A frame stifness discussion...  (Read 7372 times)

jags

Re: A frame stifness discussion...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »
very good used to ride tubs all the time .
would any of your buddies happen to have a mavic exp 33 rear wheel 36 spoke blue rim only.
no harm asking i could get lucky ;D ;D

JWestland

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »
Bar the mounting process as it's quite time consuming with waiting for glue and straightening the tubs on rim...they ride great actually. Very pleased. Cursing helps when pulling them on :P

Feeling blue Jags...? Sounds like an e-bay job to me...not easy to find blue rims.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 05:39:44 pm »
It was a loose bottom bracket...phew.
Whew, indeed!

So glad it was "only" this, Jawine. Now, you'll really be able to fly on that bike!

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:43:24 am »
Except I picked up a p_nct_r_ in the front tire. Why ow why can people not put their glass in the bin, or take it home, instead of dump it all over the road!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 06:07:02 pm »
Except I picked up a p_nct_r_ in the front tire.
Oh! Unusual for it to be the front. Fate, Jawine. When it happens there, it is Destiny.
Why ow why can people not put their glass in the bin, or take it home, instead of dump it all over the road!
Liege, BE is like that. I'm pretty well convinced they save on paving materials by recycling glass to do the job -- particularly down by the river. Worse if it rains. Like in science class, when we had to use razor blades to cut the gum surgical tubing to supply the Bunsen burners with gas. A person could saw away all day 'til the blade got dull, or! you could put a drop of water under the blade and it would cut like a hot knife through butter. Unfortunately, tires are the same when it is wet and pokey-sharp stuff is about.

Are you ready to partially unmount, unstitch, patch, and restitch? If so, be sure to test-inflate before restitching/regluing, as there can sometimes be more than one and then you get to do it all again. Don't ask how I know this, and it happened more than once when I was too eager to get things wrapped-up again. The phrase "haste makes waste" kept going through my head. Finding the hole is the worst part of the outside damage isn't obvious. I sometimes ended up unstitching more than I wished.

Good luck on a not-very-fun job; hope it goes quickly for you.

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:52 am »
I will test with Ye Olden Bucket with Water before putting it back on.

Small pieces of glass, lotsof, rain...the perfect storm.

I can use sealant but I mentally prepared for this from day 1. It's unfortunate it takes time though...I LOVE that bike! It's a smidgen small (all my bikes have something lol) but it goes like greased lightning.

jags

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 11:06:43 am »
ah i wish you luck trying to patch that tub up. i used to do it meself a right pain in the arse.
i remember years ago i punctured 3 times on a spin, lucky enough my brother was riding tubs as well it would have been a long long walk home .
no mobile phones in those days  ;D ;D

the grand bios tyres clinchers are not a kick in the arse  away from tubs so might be well worth concidering a new set of wheels.

JWestland

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »
Have to see how this goes, I've another pair of Tub wheels which I need to fix and rebuild. I may get clincher rims for rainy days, as rain + glass = perfect storm.

Sealant works quite well I heard. I want to try this as an "experience" but most people use sealant then dump tub when it punctures again.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 05:59:33 pm »
I remember some very long walks back in my college days, getting a flat and then a flat in my spare, walking with very thin leather cycling shoes and those aluminum cleats you'd nail in. That Legnano flew like lightning but then too I had to true the rims practically every ride. Yeah life with a Nomad is a lot more boring!

JWestland

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:15 am »
GP4 are supposedly bomb proof, they're 36 spokes and I am not too heavy. So far so good.

#waiting for repair kit...

:)