Author Topic: squeaky brooks flyer cure please.  (Read 3333 times)

jags

squeaky brooks flyer cure please.
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »
met a friend today while i was out cycling, he had a class new raleigh , he said he wanted to put his brooks flyer on it but it creaked like crazy (must be something in the air  ) ;D ;D
anyway lads does anyone have a quick fix for this problem.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: squeaky brooks flyer cure please.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:53 pm »
..[saddle] creaked like crazy...does anyone have a quick fix for this problem
Well, yes I do, jags.

Most Brooks saddle breaks can be traced to where the rails are riveted to the rear flange. The "cure" -- such as it is, and apart from de-riveting and removing the cover, then re-riveting it again, as I have done a number of times for others -- is to invert the bike and put a small drop of oil where each rail upright meets the real flange (B.17) or where the springs are retained against the flange (Flyer).

It often does the trick for a year or two at a time. Try to use a medium-weight oil, and don't use too much. Just a single drop per side will do the job (you don't want to get the leather oily).

The other point where squeaks can occur is far less common, but still happens. That is around the metal nosepiece, where it wraps around the "return" at the front of the rails. There is a point of metal contact at each side, and a drop there will do. Oddly, in my experience, Brooks saddles rarely squeak around the tension bolt opening.

Hope this helps,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:48:00 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:47:18 pm »
Thanks Dan i'll pass that info on hopefully it will do the trick  ;)

julk

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »
+1 for a drop of oil or two on the metal contact points within a Brooks Flyer.
This made mine go from squeaky to quiet.
Julian.

philb0412

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »
I also had an infuriating squeak on my B17. I inverted the saddle and covered the leather with a rag, I put a small drop of oil on all the metal contact points and left it to soak in for 10 minutes, wiped off the excess and off I rode in silence.

jags

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »
thanks lads i passed on the cure to my friend he sais it worked so he's as happy as larry. ;)