Author Topic: dynamo advice please  (Read 13857 times)

il padrone

Re: dynamo advice please
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
I've seen such a thing on old dynamos from the 50s and earlier. A cover that goes over the roller. Most people don't bother.

I had a spray-guard over my Sanyo Dynapower BB roller-dynamo, that I've mounted at the brake-stay. Still have the guard, made it out of some plastic from the side of a milk bottle, a bit like a mud-flap. That was a special situation with spray coming through a hole cut into the mudguard.

[edit] Here's a picture of one

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:48:55 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »
cant see that photi  buddy  ;)

jags

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »
just checking prices on rosebikes
b+m iq cyo r 69euro
b+m dynamo dymotec 6=28.99 euro
top light 21 euro

il padrone

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 02:21:57 pm »
cant see that photi  buddy  ;)
Try this one then

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »
just checking prices on rosebikes
b+m iq cyo r 69euro
b+m dynamo dymotec 6=28.99 euro
top light 21 euro

There's a Shimano dynohub 3N20 bolt-up axle on Rose Versand for 19 Euro - here

jags

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »
thanks for that wow that dynamo is very cheep  :-\

jags

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »
would this fit my raleigh 700c
Good morning, jags!

Yes, it looks to me as if it would fit without problem. See...
http://www.roseversand.com/article/atb-wheel-set-28700-c-dh-3n80deore-xt-780---a719/aid:484612
...for more complete specs on the entire wheelset (the link you gave us was just for the bare front wheel, of course; more info at the link above). I see they mention a 10-year guarantee against spoke breakage.

You might possibly have to open your front brakes a little, depending on the rim you're currently running. I've seen pics of that Raleigh, and it is surely beautiful. Be nice to have lights on it when you wished. If you kept the original wheel and fitted the headlight with a quick-release or wing-nut, you could swap wheels and remove the light when you wanted to go um, "light".  :D

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »
great stuff  thanks Dan seems like a good place to shop great prices.

rualexander

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »
bike-discount.de also have lots of good stuff at great prices, i got my Axa Nano Plus light from them.

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
Further to the spec of a suitable light for a modern cyclist:

Dan has already mentioned that the BUMM Cyo with the Daylight Running Lights is a model you want to stay away from.

In addition, the BUMM Senso facility, which switches the lamp on automatically when darkness falls and off again at dawn, is a nice gimmick but irrelevant to modern lamps driven by either a hub or a sidewall dynamo. With the MTBF of modern LEDs now reaching for 50K hours, there is absolutely no reason not to keep the lights on through the day as well. So an on-off switch, and a light/movement sensor, are both surplus to requirements. The only facilities, beyond throwing light correctly, that are really wanted on a modern lamp on a touring bike is the stand light feature (Plus in BUMM-speak) and the ability to output current to charge USB devices.

Of course, if the most deeply discounted and thus cheapest version of an otherwise desirable lamp has the on/off switch and the Senso (BUMM-speak again!), then you just take them and say thanks and don't use them because the lamp is on permanently day and night.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 11:20:26 pm »
Shimano's 3N20 hub dynamo is perfectly adequate for most service; it has served on hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of commuter bikes. All that you get extra on the much more expensive 3N80 hub dynamo is Ultegra-level seals. If you don't use disc brakes, you quite needlessly pay extra for that as well on the 3N80. Forget about rebuilding the hub dynamo, or even servicing it. Its service life is 40K kilometres and then you just chuck it. I've never actually seen the service kit advertised but I imagine it will be about the same price as a new dynamo hub costs at the discounters.

A SON hub dynamo might last three times as long but costs substantially more than three times as much.

The Shimano 3N20 has more off-service drag than a SON, but with modern lamps you'll leave the lamps on all the time anyway, and when it is on and driving the lamp, the 3N20 has *less* drag than it has off service!

The Shimano 3N80 for a third or less of the price of a SON, only has more drag to obsessives splitting hairs.

I have both the SON and variants of the best Shimano on similar bikes, and an AXA sidewall generator too for that matter, fitted by Gazelle in a crazy weight weenie moment to save a few grammes off a luxurious vacation bike with every other possible trimming imaginable (a fruit and nut episode!).

A SON gives you great bragging rights, but I took the one I have because it was a standard fitment already included in the price of the bike, a "delete option"; were I given the choice, I would have chosen the Shimano hub dynamo because I'd had good experience of it.

Most of my riding at night in town, which is the most critical nighttime riding I do, is under 15kph, from speed bump to speed bump, and in those conditions the Shimano comes up to current faster than the SON. It's marginal (see what I said about hairsplitters, and the capacitors in the most modern LED lights are pretty good at filling in the lucanae), but this is about my life, not bragging rights.

There is just no rational basis at all for seeing the Shimano as inferior to the SON. The knee-jerk reflex preference for the SON in the elite cycling community is another example of cycling "efficiency" running wild and producing zero greater speed or comfort at several times the cost of the rational choice. It's snobbery, pure and simple.

Except if you're a genuine world tourer, or you commute 10k miles every year, the SON is the choice of a fashion victim, and very likely a waste of money. Even the Shimano 3N80 needs its claim on your money closely evaluated while the 3N20 is available for €19 (as reported further up this thread)!

A tip: German Ebay (ebay.de) makes it easy to buy these dynamo hubs built into rims, usually good-quality computer-built surplus wheels from manufacturers. Always make sure you get the fitting kit if one is required. The reason for looking at built wheels is that the cost with the better Shimano dynamo hubs is generally not very far above the cost of a built wheel with the cheaper hub, so you may as well have the best Shimano, necessary or not.

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 12:17:14 am »
ok lads i have eventually decided on the wheel build from SPA cycles
Rim  EXAL XR2 36 hole
SAPIN SPOKES
SON CLASSIK dynamo hub silver.
price £188
 headlight BUSH @MULLER 
LUMOTEC CYO R.
now question will there be cable and connectors supplied with that lot or are they extra.
and if i go for the tail light  any ideas (pic@s) asto how i run cable and fit light remember this is going on my raleigh road bike no rear rack  ,i still hace to buy mudguards .
any idea  thanks all..

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 12:29:25 am »
Jags,

The Cyo R should should come with a basic zip-type two-wire conductor for the headlight, and a similar lead for the taillight (mine did, anyway). This wiring has proven serviceable for my needs, but if you wished, you could substitute the Schmidt coaxial wire, which is much larger in diameter and more robust. I am comfortable with what was supplied with the Cyo.

You will, however, probably need some 4.8mm slide-on spade connectors to connect the light to the SON hub. I did. Complete wiring instructions are here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wiringinstructions.asp Be sure to put the hub's wire connectors on the right side of the bike. If they go on the left, after awhile it is possible for the hub to unscrew (!) which is Not Good.

Get the connectors, slide them on, crimp them shut, and you should be good. I took the extra step of tinning the wires and soldering them and then making sleeves of heat-shrink tubing for them, but it is not necessary.

As for routing the wires, I had good luck on Sherpa. See the first page of my gallery photos, here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.0 It is just one way to do it, there are many others that work just as well.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:20 am »
Thanks Dan great help you sure done a gret job  routing those wires.