Author Topic: For information and debate  (Read 6623 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: For information and debate
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »
If someone can point me to an alternative to Rapha that looks as good and is as well made but DOES NOT LOOK LIKE CYCLE CLOTHING I'll be at it like a shot.
I'm not exactly an off-bike fashion plate, but I've had good luck wearing either a t-shirt or tucking my solid-color jersey in my cargo shorts or cargo pants with zip-off legs when off-bike and thought I looked okay ("Why are all those people staring and pointing?"). If in cool weather, I put on my smoothout fleece jacket, which is black like all my cold-weather gear (to better absorb any heat from sunlight; it does make a difference).

Richie, what sort of off-bike "look" are you aiming for? If it is the sort of thing where you want to look like you aren't biking, then Ex Officio may be your company ( http://www.exofficio.com/ ). Their stuff looks casual-outdoorsy and is all geared toward the traveler with lightweight, low-wrinkle fabrics that can be washed in a hand basin and dried on a shower rod overnight -- in just a couple hours in summer's heat. They make my Amphi cargo shorts, which I also wear for "good". And, the new Nio version of those shorts (replacing the kind I love with the built-in mesh brief) would be light enough and likely just long enough to wear over dedicated lycra cycling shorts without problems. The Ex Officio stuff isn't cheap, but it surely lasts. My shorts usually die from sun-rot, which means about 8 years' hard, hard use. I buy mine on sale and at season's end closeouts for about 60% reduction, so I'm always wearing last (five) year's styles but who cares 'cos it is pretty timeless.

This is one of their "civilian-looking" casual shirts: http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-roughian-macro-plaid-short-sleeve-shirt
...pair it with these...
http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-nio-amphi-pant-short-length
...and you'd blend in nicely at any event here in Oregon short of a full-formal thing. Of course, "formal" in Eugene means wearing a shirt with a collar. One that isn't tie-dyed.  ;)  I spend most of my time in either jeans (winter) or EO Amphi cargo shorts (summer) and a "technical" or "dry" t-shirt. Does for work, since most if it is done from home. The shirts with collars are reserved for dentist and doctor appointments, dinners with friends, and meeting clients in person. Funerals and weddings get the tuxedo (if a member of the wedding party) or sport coat and tie with dress pants and good shoes (everything else truly formal including meeting clients in their work environment).

Best,

Dan.

peter jenkins

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 06:27:23 am »
Hi Ritchie,

I live in Australia and don't see much Rapha gear so can't comment on it, but I'm not sure that all Ground Effect stuff looks just like any other cycling gear.

e.g. you could wear their Underdogs under anything else you care to wear and no one will even know you have them on:
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-UND-SHO.htm

The Double Happys don't make me look like a cyclist either: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-DOU-SHO.htm
OTH, NOTHING could make me look like a proper cyclist.

Their baggy shorts without liners look OK but I haven't tried them as I have enough baggy shorts as it is.

Their Tshirts look reasonably non cycling specific too, but having said all that, there's probably a reason that cycling gear looks like cycling gear and that's the fact that it's designed to be comfortable on the bike.  ;)

But I agree there are times when you don't want to look like an out and out roadie and that's when I wear my Double Happys and non lycra Rock Lobster.

Cheers,

pj

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:17 am »
Cheers Dan and Peter for the suggestions. I've had a good look through both of your companies sites you suggest. They both seem to make clothing that will definitely do the job it is intended for. No doubt about that. But I guess it just comes down to individual taste at the end of the day. When I say I would like clothing that doesn't make me look like a cyclist, I think what I should have said was that I would prefer clothing that doesn't look like it's designed for outdoor or technical use. ::) Ridiculous I know.
Like you say Peter things tend to look like they do because of the job they need to do. But I only buy that to a certain level. I still stand by what I say about the Groundeffect clothing. It just looks generic like all other cycling/outdoor gear I see in any shop I walk in. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me.
Dan, I see what angle you are coming from with the ExOfficio. I've got a pair of Craghopper zipoffs and a couple of Quecha sportwool t-shirts that are on the same kind of vibe. Whilst I know I will be glad of having them with me they are my least favourite pieces of clothing style wise.
  I will always go for clothing that does the job, I just wish there was a bit more choice in the way it looks.
Three years ago I didn't own a bike, let alone any cycling clothes. I'm stubbornly adjusting ;D

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

JWestland

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:07 am »
SWRV is a bit hipster but they do some nice stuff. There's a UK site. http://www.swrve.co.uk/ Cycling jeans with stitching not where it hurts, waterproof regular looking hoodies etc. It's a bit more casual.

Maybe the merino wool stuff is easier to buy from a regular clothing company rather than Rapha? As their current stuff suffers from pack pocket syndrome.

Unless the cut is wildly different?

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

JWestland

Lemming

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
"If someone can point me to an alternative to Rapha that looks as good and is as well made but DOES NOT LOOK LIKE CYCLE CLOTHING I'll be at it like a shot."

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/ Good stuff and well made, but even more expensive.

Rapha merino tops are cut like cycling tops, with annoying rear pockets that makes them difficult to tuck in as work wear.
http://shop.ibex.com/ polo shirts are better, and often available at a more reasonable price in the Outlet (postage and import costs can be rather painful though).

The other approach is to wear 'normal' clothes and cycle slower - the Danish way.

For touring, I generally use what I would have on in the hills, the only cycle specific items being Rapha padded merino boxers (the best cycling underwear I have ever used) and gloves.

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »
Like you say Peter things tend to look like they do because of the job they need to do. But I only buy that to a certain level. I still stand by what I say about the Groundeffect clothing. It just looks generic like all other cycling/outdoor gear I see in any shop I walk in.
I'm going to suggest that's most likely because it is intended for cycling/outdoor activities.

One thing I will say for Ground Effect that makes it stand out from the crowd - it is exceptionally durable. I have just bought my third pair of the Sputniks cycling knicks. The first pair are still in use but looking a little worn. I bought them in 1998. I have their wonderful Frosty Boy windproof top, one of the most well-used tops I have. It gets used in spring/autumn over a jersey, in winter layered over one or two other tops, and in summer as a jumper to wear around camp on cool evenings. I bought mine in about 1999.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 05:46:43 pm »
I would prefer clothing that doesn't look like it's designed for outdoor or technical use...Ridiculous I know.
Richie,

I think your goals are entirely reasonable, but may be hard to execute while still maintaining full function. I have to admit, when I'm wearing my EO stuff during my REI visits, I look like every other person there dressed in the same general outdoorsy technical fabric-casual style. I can surely see why you're seeking something more individual that doesn't necessarily scream "bike" or "outdoors". Neon yellow-green jackets and black lycra tights are almost a uniform for cyclists around here now. If you wear something else, you risk fading invisibly into the general traffic stream.

Hmm.

Have you thought about clothing vendors for other sports? Of course, their things are also tailored with function in mind, but a popular style here (uni crowd to tech-geeks in their mid- to upper-30s and this writer, owns some but is also in a tech- and research-related field) is board fashion, as in skate- and surf.  One popular vendor is Tilly's: http://www.tillys.com , Men's directory here: http://www.tillys.com/tillys/Categories.aspx?ctlg=010_Guys&cid=

When I was regularly bicycle commuting for most of a decade, I had to dress for where I was going more than I dressed for the journey (no changing facilities at the destination, and side-drafting city buses gave me the needed speed without breaking much of a sweat). The trouble is, most of what I wore was cotton and such and really not very comfortable for riding. I could endure it for the two-way commute, but not much longer.

It's tough finding the right combination, Richie. Best of luck to you, and let us know if we can help further.

All the best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:01 pm »
Some interesting alternatives suggested there. I will be having a good look at the swrv particularly. Cheers.
I don't think it's so much of not wanting to look like everyone else, but more just not loving what the usual type of outdoor clothing looks like.
Material and cut is of course important for an item of clothing to do it's job well. But colour, stripes, detailing and extras are down to design.
I have tried non outdoor clothes but for long distance, everyday multi month touring it's just a no, on so many fronts.
Glad to have got a few different opinions though :)

JWestland

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:25 pm »
If you want to have a laugh look at the SWRV US site...the hipster factor is off the scale  ;D
(I have a hipster fixie too, Charge Hob...so maybe I should shut up. In my defense my clothes don't match and I use SPDs instead of toe clips/powergrips  ;D)

The manfriend likes the SWRV stuff though and he's pretty fussy ;)

Levis now started doing a commuter range too :)
Only for men though cos you know women don't cycle (sheesh!)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:20 am »
I saw the Levi Commuter Jeans mentioned in another blog about a month ago At the time they were U.S. only but they were half the price of Rapha Jeans so really interested in giving them a go.
Sorry to say it but the pockets on the back of clothing are a must. Whilst that is probably the most defining thing about a cycling top, it's also the most handy for me.
I was down at the Nocturne at Smithfields in London yesterday. Lots of variety in cycling(ish) clothes down there. You're certainly not individual wearing your Rapha down there. ;D