Author Topic: my Electric Raven Tour, part 2  (Read 2621 times)

ians

my Electric Raven Tour, part 2
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
OK - discovered the problem with fitting the wheel - it's the dropouts.  The axle won't drop neatly in.  The diameter is a few mm greater than a conventional axle.  The only way to remove the wheel was to gently prise the forks apart with a pair of screwdrivers while my wife wiggled the wheel free.  Not a roadside option.  (Makes me wonder how the ETS got the wheel in in the first place).

I have a pair of Thorn Mt Tura forks on an old On-One Inbred frame so tried the new wheel in those.  Same problem - so it's not unique to my RT forks.

Made a coffee and then started with a file and very gently (and with amazing patience for me) widened the drop outs.  Did this very scientifically (Dan) - counted 10 stokes then changed face.  It took a while but the wheel now drops into place.  The paint is drying while I type this.

ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: my Electric Raven Tour, part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
...discovered the problem with fitting the wheel - it's the dropouts.  The axle won't drop neatly in.  The diameter is a few mm greater than a conventional axle...
Oh, Ian, I know that sickening feeling when you find Something Wrong with an installation you didn't do yourself. 'Been there myself a time or two.

As Phil Liggett would say, "Oh, dearie me!" ( http://www.liggettfan.com/main.htm )

Well, you fought a manful, epic battle and won, Ian! That's always some consolation (as I recently told a friend who had to use an allen key, a tensioning ring tool, a BB wrench, a hammer and a block of wood, a heavier hammer, and his father to remove a Shimano HollowTech crankset with the bearings seized onto the spindle. The crankset and BB were trashed but at least gone, so a square-taper replacement could be fitted).

Good on you for taking on the task with patience, coffee and science, and the touch-up paint was a thoughtful and wise touch to prevent the possibility of rust starting in this often-wet area. Good on you!

I've sometimes run into a similar problem when restoring old bikes, including my father's 1938 Hercules. I've had really good luck leaving the dropouts intact and milling parallel flats on the axle ends. Usually it is the OD of the male threads that is holding things up (larger diameter than the allocated space) and going after the axle means the fork ends will still accept the original-equipment if one needs/wants to do a faithful restoration (often vital with the old-bike crowd for authenticity's sake). This is really what an installing shop should do when an unavoidable mismatch in diameters becomes apparent.

Well, you'll likely be running the electric hub from here on out, so there's no downside in your use, and the benefits of the electrification are wonderful indeed and I am so happy for you! Yours is a lovely machine, made all the nicer by being more useful to your needs at present and far into the future.

Thanks so much for the followup, and please keep us posted with the occasional progress report as the miles (kilometers) pile up. I have a feeling you'll be riding this more than ever!

All the best (and best wishes on the upcoming vacation),

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:36:19 PM by Danneaux »

ians

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
thanks for your kind words Dan.

It seems ridiculous that a few mm can make all the difference but I guess that's the way it goes.

I have a work colleague, same age as me, who's recently had to give up marathon running because of a heart attack.  He is lusting after my bike.  Fortunately he is a good deal shorter than me so mine is safe.  I may have a convert though.

best

Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
I have a work colleague, same age as me, who's recently had to give up marathon running because of a heart attack.  He is lusting after my bike.  Fortunately he is a good deal shorter than me so mine is safe.  I may have a convert though.

Be a damned sight better for his knees. Chap I know in his (early) retirement took up marathon running, and I'd meet him on the road. He's had operations on his knees because they got pounded to bits by the tarmac, and I'm still cycling. Another chap I know, a world champion weight lifter (don't ask me about the classes!) for his endurance exercise also cycles, sometimes with me on our longer outings. Surprising, that, actually, but apparently weight lifting has much to do with respiration control, and cycling is good for building respiration endurance. -- Andre Jute