Author Topic: WTB: Shimano 7-sp or 8-sp bar-end shifters  (Read 2963 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
WTB: Shimano 7-sp or 8-sp bar-end shifters
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:16 am »
Hi All,

I am looking for some Shimano 7-sp bar-end shifters for the Folder I am brazing-up from scratch.  I am trying to keep costs down as much as possible, so I am recycling some of my old Shimano 7-sp drivetrain components and really just need some Bar-end shifters. 8-sp shifters should work as well. I've used them with 7-sp in the past and they did a pretty nice job of indexing and shifting.

Does anyone have an old set for a reasonable price? They needn't be in top appearance, though it would be nice. I can always refinish them. Incomplete sets might work as well, as I have some loose components related to the shifters already.

Please PM or email me if you have some kicking about; perhaps we can come to an agreement. US sources would minimize shipping costs, but I'd surely consider something from elsewhere if available.

Thanks!

Best,

Dan.

jags

Re: WTB: Shimano 7-sp or 8-sp bar-end shifters
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
Just had a look in my mgic box Dan  but no luck i'm afraid .
i got rid of all my 7/8 speed stuff gave it all away over the years.
i gave a guy a 8 speed campag super reckors rear mech if i can get it back from him its yours .(work of art) i  shoild have kept it but being the gobshite that i am well you know the story.
is there anything else your after. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »
Thanks, jags!

I surely appreciate your having a look, and also the bother it took! No...I think that's about it for any remaining needed parts.

When I started on the Folder, I used a pair of drop 'bars with the hooks cut off and flipped top-for-bottom.. I then milled out the clamps on some Deore thumb-shifters and slid those on the 'bars, up near the stem. I took a pair of Tektro MTB brake levers, milled out the clamps for them, and re-forged the lever blades so they arc'd around the bend of the 'bars. A lot of work, but it worked nicely and folded compactly with the bike. After all that, I have now decided I would prefer a set of wider bullhorn/road pursuit 'bars with bar-end shifters and a set of Tektro interrupter levers reversed to mount near the ends.

It certainly has been a fun project, and the full suspension works nicely in all my tests. I just want to finish it up this summer, wet-paint it, and get it on the road! Out for a full-blown tour would be even better. No pics, 'cos they wouldn't be appropriate for the Thorn-specific forum, but it is the same in spirit as Danneaux's Sherpa, just folding and with small wheels. As for color...I've decided to Paint It Black (matte, of course); it'll look like Sherpa's baby brother.

Thanks again very kindly for taking a look in your parts bin for me.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:41:18 am »
Hi All,

I rummaged through my oldest parts bins and came up with a right bar-end shifter insert for the handlebars (bracket and expander with bolt) and 1 7-speed shifter (has an 8th "ghost click" also) and milled a temporary axle and retainer bolt for it.

What I now need is a Shimano bar-end lever *axle* and *retaining bolt* to make a proper 7-speed right-hand bar-end shifter.

I also need a friction left-hand Shimano bar-end shifter.

Getting there.

Any luck out there in ThornLand?

Thanks!

Dan.