Author Topic: eBay: Explorer tandem, Audax Mk3, Nomad (all are der. models)  (Read 1973 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
None mine. As always, use caution when placing a bid; there have been some stolen Thorn up for auction recently.

Thorn (derailleur) tandem Explorer frameset 20/18inch, roughly 1000miles, built in 2003, seller claims vgc/serviced and well maintained. Pretty yellow/red fade paint/ Comes with roof rack with tilt and lift action, will need roof bars. Buyer collects.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-tandem-Explorer-frameset-20-18inch-/200753644615?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2ebdd98447

Thorn Audax Mk3, Blood red size 525 small/med (425 centre to centre), seller claims built for wife hwo refuses to ride it. Claims fully serviced, minimal wear or chips. MOstly 105 w/Sti. "Any inspection / test ride welcome."
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Mk3-Audax-bicycle-Shimano-105-STI-groupset-GREAT-CONDITION-FULLY-SERVICED-/160795804931?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item25702d4503

Thorn (derailleur) Nomad, size 51 cm, fits 5'5" female or unisex of similar size. Bought second hand from SJSC, used extensively last 5 yrs. by present owner. Standover height 76cm, the top tube is 52 cm the crank length is 16.5cm. XT/LX mix, B.17, F/R alloy racks, straight 'bars w/bar-ends. Owner claims solid condition and ready to load up and go with new Nomad on order. Paint scratches and marks from use along with repairs to the mudguard and front rack. Description says:
The bike has been crashed at some point in its history and there is a kink in the steel (see picture). This is no way effects the handling and performance or structural integrity of the bike.
Bike will include computer, spd/flat pedals, brooks saddle and racks and spare spokes. Bike will not include front bar bag rack, pump and holder, seat post bag, bottle cages and light.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thorn-nomad-touring-bike-/160794513325?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2570198fad

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:58:25 pm by Danneaux »

philb0412

Re: eBay: Explorer tandem, Audax Mk3, Nomad (all der. models)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »
I was just about to post that final bike Dan. I'm looking for a touring bike for my friend, and naturally when I saw a Thorn in her budget that would fit her I got excited. Surely the kink in the steel must effect the structural integrity of the bike?

Phil

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: eBay: Explorer tandem, Audax Mk3, Nomad (all are der. models)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
Surely the kink in the steel must affect the structural integrity of the bike?
Well, yes, the steel has been stressed beyond plastic deformation to have a permanent kink (and it is in two places, looking at the pics -- under the top and down tubes). The big things to consider are:

a) Has it changed the geometry of the bike by any significant degree (i.e. increased the head tube angle).

b) Are there any cracks or stress risers resulting from the blow/kink in the tubes.

c) If a) and/or b) above, are the problems significant within the intended use and/or weight/strength of the rider.

This is a fillet-brazed frame, so there is no lug edge to complicate matters, and the kink is within the butted sections of the tubes.

I have cut up for examination a large number of high-quality frames discarded by local shops for this very reason (and similar damage). In my tests, the frames were still remarkably strong even in the affected area, but showed microscopic signs of damage beyond the obvious blips (yes, I did look, and dyed the areas after removing the paint and magna-fluxed them as well) and there was evidence of damage, mostly in "stretch marks" and some microporous surface cracks. Tubes are frequently cold-worked after forming for framebuilding purposes (i.e. s-bend stays), but always gradually and within the working parameters of the tube. Accidents involve a lot of sudden force, and often cause damage that careful and deliberate cold-working does not. A major source of my tubing stock for framebuilding projects was acquired from such sources. The tubes tend to bend near the head tube 'cos that area is in the heat-affected zone and has been partially annealed (softened) by higher temperatures during brazing or welding. Cut off the damaged portion of the butt, and there is usually plenty of "good" steel left over for fillet-brazing (i.e. my Folder on-the-cheap project, which is a mixture of new and "recycled" tubing).

I guess what I am saying is one would want to look this over carefully and look in particular for signs of stressed/distressed paint in the area. It wouldn't hurt to rub a little white talcum powder on the black paint to highlight any cracks, but the seller understandably might not be agreeable. It is possible the owner/seller has been told it is not a problem by SJS Cycles where they are familiar with the bike. Might be a good idea to ask the seller if SJSC seen it and what their thoughts are. The seller's candor is commendable.

Me? I'd want to look at the fork crown as well and also to see if the steerer rotates without binding in the headset.

A bargain is a bargain unless it isn't.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:23:24 pm by Danneaux »

julk

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:40 pm »
Many years ago a friend of mine bought a nice Claud Butler with very similar damage from a front end crash.
I was watching him ride the bike when the front end folded under, both tubes collapsing.
Luckily he was not hurt.

Buyer beware.

Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:43 pm »
Julian,

Your ability to create mental images with an economy of words is a gift almost haiku-like in its elegance and simplicity.

"Buyer beware" is nothing compared to your minimalist, graphic warning.

All the best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Getting a Thorn Audax and then refusing to ride it?

(???) :)

I wouldn't buy a dented bike, you don't know if it was a fall on the pavement or a crash...and there's no way to know.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)