Author Topic: Do Sun Rhyno Rims have wear indicators?  (Read 2540 times)

trevva

Do Sun Rhyno Rims have wear indicators?
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:27 pm »
Hi,

We have a Sun Rhyno (36sp on a Sturmey Archer hub) rim on the front of on our 1996 Thorn Discovery tandem, which we brought second-hand a few years ago. The rims are starting to look worn, but the problem is that we don't know "how worn". Given that we don't know how much mileage they've had, we can't use that as a guide. Some rims come with a wear-indication feature, that shows (or disappears) when its time to replace them but lots of googling hasn't turned up whether this is the case here or not. Does anyone know if Sun Rhyno rims have such a feature? Does anyone know where on the rim to look for it (exactly)?

Dorthe and Mark

jags

Re: Do Sun Rhyno Rims have wear indicators?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:43:41 pm »
yes mine have wee pit holes in them obviously when ther gone its time to replace,i haven't checked mine sure hope there still visible  ;D

trevva

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:08:26 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you describe where on the rim these are (e.g. in relation to the valve)? How big are they in diameter? Is there just one on each side, or are there more? Do you know what age your rims are? Your reply is the most promising to date-  it seems to be very difficult to find this out!

Best wishes,

Mark

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:41 am »
Hi Mark!

SJS Cycles indicate the Sun rims have wear indicators, but they are not visible to me in the product photos shown on this page: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=sun%20rhyno&page=1 That's most likely because SJS Cycles didn'tphotograph the section where the indicator is located. It does not run fully 'round the rim as others do. More on that in a moment.

So far as I recall, early Sun Rhyno rims had no visible wear indicators. The later ones I've seen were pretty subtle an only visible in one place. Again, as I recall, they are a small stamped or machined circle near a sticker on the rim center...and that sticker can peel and fall off. I have Sun CR18 rims on my tandem, and those (polished silver) are pretty soft and easily scarred by the odd popped rock hitting them. I've seen some truly gruesome damage inflicted on other's Sun rims using steel tire levers. I always use plastic tire levers on my rims (prefer the VAR tire jack on narrower tires) and have thus managed to avoid this sort of damage myself. A side note, re: the wear indicator...given how soft the rims are, I wouldn't expect the indicator to be present a terribly long time.

The problem with wear-away indicators is not everyone thinks to check their rims regularly, and when they do, it is hard to tell if the rim is either too old to have had an indicator from the start, or of it has worn away. For this reason, I either caliper my older rims periodically to check for undue wear, or prefer rims that wear through to an obvious indicator, like the reinforced C-section in the Rigida Andra's extrusion cross-section.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »
Hi Mark,
well Dan is spot as usual  ;)just  two spokes up from the  valve hole theres a wee hole machined drilled into rim and i'm glad to report mine is still 100% .so if you see this then you should be ok.
by the way i use cool stop salmon brake blocks there excellent blocks and better still not hard on the rims.cheers
Jags.