Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

Your choice in cycling movies/film/cinema/documentaries

<< < (4/57) > >>

triaesthete:
Hi Dan
I never realised Japanese Keirin riders wore body armour. It looks more like Rollerball insofar as it looks to be a racing cert that someone will crash.
Brave guys!
This has been an entertaining and enlightening thread. Are any of the films you listed at the outset available online?
TYhanks
Ian.

kickingcones:
I loved "Triplets of Belleville" (absolutely hilarious depiction of the stereotypes of the US as seen by non-Americans) and "Breaking Away".

The whole keirin world I stay away from and find very offensive. Keirin is sponsored by and the ugly world of the keirin racers is created by the Yakuza, who cause great damage in Japan and the world, traffic in white slavery, and are increasingly involved with major crime around the world. I want them obliterated and erased from Japanese society and will not support in any way anything to do with them. Sorry for voicing this strong opinion, but we've enough awful things in the world.

While not strictly movies, have any of you seen the BBC documentary series, "Fat Man On a Bicycle", featuring Tom Vernon, an author/ reporter who travels around Europe on his bicycle looking at history and local culture?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41t23WGvEUM
I've always wondered what happened to him.

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---Are any of the films you listed at the outset available online?
--- End quote ---
Hi Ian,
A great question! The answer is "yes", but for a number of reasons, I decided not to post direct links to them. Why?

Well...

The Thorn list is international in scope, and enforcement of copyright law varies by locality. Also, a number of the sites streaming the films are pretty sketchy, and I didn't want to lure viewers to sites hosting malware. Not a problem for me with virtualized machines, but that is not the case for everyone.

One really is on one's own when looking to view or stream free movies online. And yes, I realize streaming or viewing movies online is not the same as a torrent-download, but things get murky quickly in that regard as well.

The best course is to see if any of the films are currently hosted by YouTube or Vimeo. Just enter the title in the search box on each site. Hulu -- if available in your part of the world -- also hosts films, and some are available without fees. If your ISP is also your pay-TV provider, they frequently offer movies for free online through their portal.

Most of the films are available through inter-library loan. If your local library doesn't have them, they can put in a request to any other library in their system, and it will be transferred over on a temporary basis, usually without charge.

Here in the States, we have online movie rentals available through Netflix, and the films can be delivered via post or download, for a fee. Something similar may be available for you.

If you don't have luck with the above methods, I do have some suggestions:
- In your favorite search engine, enter the string, "watch <title> online free", with no < > and no quotes.
- In your favorite search engine, enter the string, "<title> streaming video", with no < > and no quotes.

Minor variations on this theme will get you where you wish to go, but use some real caution; many of the sites that will come up are not ideal.

Finally, Amazon.com and eBay have a number of the titles available for very little cost. I do see site like movieberry.com have titles like Six-Day Bike Rider available for download for as little as USD$0.87. See: http://movieberry.com/6_day_bike_rider/

I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't been able to think of suitable free online viewing solutions beyond YouTube and Vimeo. I'm surely open to suggestions!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux:
Hi All,

Given our Thorns are now made in Taiwan, it is interesting to see the "other Taiwan" -- its countryside and mountains -- through the eyes of freerider Richie Schley in this video:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Richie-Schley-Made-in-Taiwan-video-2012.html?trk=rss

Gorgeous countryside.

Best,

Dan.

jimmer:
Danny MacAskill - "Way Back Home", used the you tube clip in a year 9 assembly to promote the idea of cycling to school rather then being delivered to the door in a 7 seat people carrier, as a minor contribution to ensuring that they inherit a habitable planet. We were picking jaws off the floor along with the chairs. They're still being driven to school and childhood obesity, however..

Yours, James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version