Technical > Transmission

Thorn Nomad MK2 singlespeed

(1/3) > >>

spie4337:
While I love my Nomad for touring duties, I've found that it's a bit overspecified for day to day commuting. Furthermore, id like to save the k's on my rohloff and rims for touring. So ive been thinking about removing the Rigida Andras with the rohloff/schmidt hubs and fitting some relatively light 26inch rims, single speed hubs and some 'skinny' (in comparison to the 2.0 xrs currently fitted) 1.5 tyres.

Firstly, can anyone foresee any issues with such a conversion to begin with? I've been trawling the net for any info, but as of yet, haven't found any evidence of anyone doing such a thing with their nomad. Secondly, hub choice has got me a bit bewildered, but as I understand it, it shouldnt be too much of an issue lacing a regular flip flop hub (130mm) and filling the remaining 5mm with spacers. Am I correct? Also, I'm aware the nomad's vertical dropouts dropouts are a bit of a problem, but the EBB should sort these out too, no?

Anyway, any info or assistance would be welcome.

Sam

Danneaux:
Hi Sam!

What an intriguing project! I'd sure like to see some photos of it in the gallery when you're done.

I really don't see any obstacles beyond the usual ones, which you have identified. The EBB should work fine, I'd think. Have you thought of going "fixed" instead of a flip-flop single-speed? If so, I'm not sure how well the EBB would like the torque generated by skid-stops, and you'd likely want to leave at least one brake on anyway.

What are your plans for dealing with the unused cables and housings/shiftbox?

Please let us know how you come out.

Best,

Dan.

spie4337:
The reason im leaning toward a flip flop is because it would be nice to have fixed the majority of time for the short distances/commutes im doing at the moment, with the option of having a slightly larger cog on the freewheel side to enable a second, bail out-esque gear on lengthier rides or short weekend tours. For this, i'll also be relying on the EBB to allow enough length in the chain to change from, say a 40/14 to a 40/16. Thoughts?

The skid stop concern on the EBB is a good point Dan, especially given the considerable weight of a nomad with rear rack and a loaded pannier. However, while I long to recapture the excitement I once felt after leaving a great big black line on the tarmac with my bmx coaster brake, I doubt I will be doing much intentional skidding, and will definitely be keeping the front vs. The rear vs could probably go though. The rohloff shifter, cables and ex box will just be removed and will probably go into box labelled 'touring', along with the wheels.

Sam

Danneaux:
Sam,

Our Rohloff-Thorn cognoscenti can probably answer better than I, but I think you might just exceed the takeup limit of the EBB and may need to consider a half-link to accommodate the two-tooth change in cogs.

As an alternative, you might get away with a couple chain-connecting links and their inner-link companions. If the chain was set a bit tight with only one quick-link, you could add a second quick-link and inner and make it work with a bit slacker chain by flopping the hub. This would be a fair bit quicker than getting out the pin wrench to adjust the EBB. It'd be fun to play with, anyway.

It is a shame Schwalbe don't produce a 26" version of their Durano Skid ( http://www.schwalbe.de/gbl/en/produkte/race/produkt/index.php5?flash=1&ID_Produktgruppe=47&ID_Produkt=266&ID_Land=38&ID_Sprache=2&ID_Einsatzbereich=11&tn_mainPoint=Produkte&tn_subPoint=Race ) -- that would be fun!  :D On the other hand, the flat-spots might feel like you were carrying your own speed bumps.  :-\

Yep, a front V-brake should do just fine. If you remove the cabling, shift box and shifter, you'll have to invest a bit of time in the conversion each way, but that might be alright if you don't tour often. If it were possible to leave the back brake in place and also create a hanger for the shift box, you could speed up the changeover process considerably I'm not sure how best to do that, but the idea has possibilities for a quick changeover -- swap wheels, alter the chain, and you'd be done.

Sounds like a fun thing to try, and if it helps the bike to better meet your needs, why not?  ;)

Best, Dan.

jimmer:
Dear Sam,

Focussing on this could be a challenge as we've just done the Grand Slam, again and I felt an urgent beer coming on (Tomos Watkins' Cwrw Braf, naturally). I'll leave off my English friends until I've sent this. Cymru am byth.

I was similarly concerned about wear and tear on the Rohloff. I didn't want to squander the modest 100,000 km plus service life of the hub on the mundane business of getting to work.

The Catalyst's claim to versatility, which persuaded me to part with so much cash in the first instnce, can only be fully realised with at least another set of wheels.

My bike takes on one of several different avatars depending on its wheel, tyre or fork configuration.

In it's MTB incarnation:

Rack off.

Front wheel: Shimano MTB XT Disc Hub Front M756 32h Black 6-Bolt, Mavic 317 disc rims, Avid juicy 3.5 rotor 160mm, DT Swiss Comp double butted spokes, Panaracer Fire XC Folding tyre.

Rear wheel: Rohloff hub, Mavic EX721 ceramic rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Panaracer Fire XC Folding tyre.

A 5 minute swap over yields a perfectly satisfactory commuting / city / trailer hauling up to the allotment single speed / fixie bike equiped as follows:

Front wheel: Shimano Deore M525 Disc Hub Front (Black 32 hole), Mavic MTB 26" XM317 Rim 32h, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Michelin XCR 26 x 1.4 slick tyre.

Rear wheel: DMR Wheels Hubs MTB Revolver SS Rear Std Freewheel Hub 2009 32h Black 9mm, ACS claw 17 t freewheel, 17t VeloSolo bolt-on 7075-T6 Disc Cog, Mavic EX721 rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Michelin XCR 26 x 1.4 slick tyre.

If they ever forget to fit the ankle tag and I'm able to slip away I slot on the following for a spot of touring:

Front wheel: Mt Tura fork, XT rim brake hub, Mavic EX721 rim, DT Swiss Comp db spokes, Schwalb marathon tyre.

Rear wheel: the MTB wheel as previously stated with Schwalb marathon tyre.

I run a 17 t sprocket and so can transfer over to the ss / fixie without adjusting the EBB. Conversion to the touring format takes a little longer as a fork change is involved. The ss / fixie gearing does well enough for trailer pulling around Birmingham (UK).

Works excellently for me, allowing many bikes for the price and space of one plus wheels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990384709/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990350473/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21993186@N05/6990491979/

Hope these links work, if not I'll try to work out how to get photos in the body of a post.

Yours, James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version