Author Topic: Keeping in touch on Tour  (Read 4812 times)

ianshearin

Keeping in touch on Tour
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »
As my preparations continue for my trek round Africa I am building a website to keep in touch.
However I am coming up with a plethora of difficulties and choices, and the more I look into it, the more questions are raised.

Although this may be a topic discussed before it is a fast moving area and probably solutions found last Month are now out of date  ::)

I want to do 1 main thing really, that is I want to track my route and at frequent intervals upload my location to a website for friends and family to see.

Do I use wifi when I get it and somehow manually upload the co-ords to a website (seems archaic these days)?
Do I use my phones 3GS to upload?
Are there any GPS devices that can track me and upload my position to a website?

I have just discovered an App for the iphone 4s called 'MotionX GPS' which seems to be able to upload my co-ords to Facebook and Twitter, that would seem a easy solution.
Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would be a suitable route to go taking a iPhone 4s and uploading to Facebook?

Are there any websites that anyone knows of that provides some sort of tracking facility?

Are there any possible problems I might face when out in the sticks using technlogy like this?

Oops, thats a lot of questions..... Its just such a great forum with lots of friendly and informed people on it....

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Keeping in touch on Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »
I've heard about this SPOT technology & it sounds like it might work for you:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »
Oooh that looks great, Ill check it out and report back.

Thanks for the link Jim
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:29 pm »
Ian I have emailed you a file to look at in Google Earth, recorded on my Garmin Edge 705.

Also take a look at Google Latitude. You can embed it in your website.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

bgp4

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »
Hi Ian,

If you have an iPhone or iPad, there is an app called TrackMyTour which may be of interest.  It does not appear to be able to update location in real time, but it may be enough for what you are looking for...

http://trackmytour.com

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:50:53 am »
Thanks Richie, got your mail, gonna look at it today.

That looks interesting bgp4, defo gonna test that out.

I looked at the spot technology Jim, its a great system but a overkill for me, not to mention there is a annual subscription on top of the initial cost of the unit which puts me off a bit.

Thanks for the replies guys

Ian
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »
Hi All,

I have been investigating the SPOT units, and am developing some reservations that make me question whether SPOT is the ideal product for my needs.

It sounds wonderful on the face of it, but I have some concerns about their billing and business practices. It isn't as cheap as it appears. There is the fairly modest cost of the unit itself, then there are the subscription fees for the service. Earlier in their development, the subscription for service was available on a monthly and term basis. I see it is now only available on an annual basis (USD$100), with an extra annual fee (~USD$45) for near-realtime position tracking and reporting. Delving deep into the fine print of their contract, it appears the contract will automatically renew unless a subscriber declares their intent to cancel at least 45 days before the end of the contract. I don't know if a refund is available for remaining unused days. Reviews indicate a term (temporary) credit card is not advisable, as declined charges may be referred for collection. Some interesting user reviews of the devices and service are here: http://www.rei.com/product/784892/spot-ii-satellite-gps-messenger ...and... http://www.rei.com/product/816133/spot-connect-satellite-communicator It is important to note the basic SPOT is in its second generation, and has been joined by a second model that can be tethered to a cell-phone to send customized messages to a pre-loaded contact list. The first-gen basic model acquired a reputation for unreliability, but the later models look much improved in that regard.

On the other hand, a local rider used one last year as part of a group expedition, riding single-speeds around Lake Baikal and seemed very happy with it. I followed their daily progress, thanks to maps based on SPOT reports. See http://www.cyclebaikal.com/ The reports on the SPOT seem to range from just awful to very good, with little middle ground. If it results in a rescue, it's great! :D

I am now looking into a dedicated personal locator beacon (PLB). While the initial cost of the unit is about 3x that of the Spot, there are no fees or subscriptions required, and the same search-and-rescue authorities are called. The downside of a PBL is it's a Nuclear Option -- to be used only as a last resort when all options for extraction or rescue are exhausted. Using a PBL requires about three deliberate actions, from opening the case to unfurling the antenna -- all by design to prevent accidental operation. Search-and-rescue operations here in the States are increasingly expensive -- a recent report put them at around $22,000 to $24,000, and average air-ambulance (helicopter) costs are the same. I can imagine a needless or accidental search bankrupting me, and the same could happen if needed -- but I'd be alive, so it evens out.  ;) I do subscribe to an annual subscription emergency-services pool (Firemed) good where coverage is available in my state...but vast areas are so unpopulated, that nothing is available. Same for surrounding areas. For example, Nevada's northern Washoe county is posted as having no available emergency services. I really don't know what would happen in that case.

The real appeal of the SPOT for me is the ability to send "I'm okay" or "Doing fine, but slower than expected" messages to my contacts back home so a) they don't worry and b) they don't worry enough to assume I am in trouble and activate a full-scale SAR operation. The trouble is, reports indicate SPOT messages are sent in triplicate with the best of the three going through within a 15-minute window. User reports indicate the unit must remain stationary during that time, and as with a GPS, coverage is affected by tree cover, foliage, and the need for a clear view of the sky. The SPOT does not seem to provide user confirmation of sent/received messages, and many users indicate the pictograms and blinking codes are confusing unless the unit is used frequently.

As it is, I spend a good 3-4 months preparing for my Big Trips, and leave a paper and electronic packet of detailed maps, expected daily mileage, and GPS waypoints with family members back home, along with the emails, websites, and phone numbers of all emergency authorities for the areas I'll be transiting. When I can get cell-phone coverage, I check in once a day with my GPS coordinates and any changes to my route or plans when in truly remote areas, and the folks there plot my position on Google Earth, Delorme Maps, Garmin's MapSource and BaseCamp and Microsoft Streets & Trips.  We generally agree on a three-day window of non-communication, after which authorities are contacted, my trip info is emailed or dropped off, and the whole emergency plan goes into operation. The trouble is, I could be perfectly alright and simply have dropped and broken the phone. We haven't figured out what to do in that case, and while I surely don't want to endanger a SAR party, I also don't want to perish alone in the middle of 6,700 square miles of largely unpopulated desert. It is different in populated areas, and I can afford to make some spontaneous route changes there, but alone in the middle of nowhere, I stay with the plan unless I can specifically note otherwise. Rangers have advised it is common to not see a car or another person for 2 or more weeks in some places I go, and if I crank-over an ankle, things could go bad quickly. Going with a partner would help, but that is rarely possible.

Looking forward to hearing others' solutions for keeping in touch where there is no mobile phone coverage.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:04:02 pm by Danneaux »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:56 am »
Ian - you might find some useful comment in one of the journals on 'crazyguyonabike'. I have been reading some of them to help plan a tour in the UK but most of the journals are about tours similar to yours.

e.g. I stumbled upon this one earlier today ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=192519&v=XG

regards
sdg.