Community > Cycle Tours

Glenfinnan / Loch Shiel

(1/1)

lewis noble:
Hello everybody

I hope to get back into some reasonable rides this year, after a gap of about 3 years from any serious riding.

Has anyone done the circle from Glenfinnan down the side of Loch Shiel, up and over to Strontian, then back up the coast to Glenfinnan?  I will be based at a campsite at Glenfinnan I expect.  Looks good on the maps, minor roads / tracks all the way?

Lewis

rualexander:
Yes this is s superb route if you get decent weather.
The track alongside loch shiel is good with a reasonable surface, after that the hill over to Strontian is pretty tough with a steep gradient so you will need a low gear. There is an option for overnighting at the bothy up the track east of Polloch, I think it was called Resourie bothy.
After Strontian the ride on the main road round to Corran is fine and then the minor road up the lochside to Camusnagaul and beyond is very nice.

Relayer:
A very very nice route, I did that with friends some years ago starting at Strontian going anti-clockwise, looks like the easier way over the hills north of Strontian on the map.  The views of the isles when we got to Lochailort were worth the trip on their own, but loads of fantastic scenery all the way round.

lewis noble:
Thanks guys - yes, I plan to do it.  It sounds as though anti-clockwise is the most popular direction, south-west down Loch Shiel, with all the views out to the sea I guess, then north-east up Loch Linnhe.  I've invested in some waterproof panniers . . . . .

Lewis

allywatt:
I've done the road sections you mention - and I have to agree with all the comments so far - it is a great route.  I haven't been on the track along Loch Shiel - but it looks very promising.  I might pinch your route and give it a try in Feb!  Better than slogging across Rannoch Moor.  All the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version