Community > Cycle Tours

Advice needed on Rannoch Moor crossing

(1/2) > >>

allywatt:
I have a few days off in early Feb and wondered about cycling from home (Skye) to Pitlochry (Mother in Law) via Mallaig - Fortwilliam - Glencoe - Kingshouse - RANNOCH MOOR - Rannoch Station - Pitlochry.

The only bit I haven't been on before is the Rannoch Moor crossing from Kingshouse to Rannoch Station.  The OS map shows a vehicle track at both ends with a 4 mile section in the middle as a path.  Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice as to the suitability of cycling that part of the route?

Fred A-M:
What bike do you have - ie suited to off-roading?  At worst, you'll be able to cycle some of it - factor in time for pushing some of it - otherwise I'd imagine commonsense precautions apply ref NW Scotland in mid-winter!

davefife:
Hi allywatt, I was on that landrover track a few years back, its ok, I was on a MTB hardtail travelling light. The section from Black Corries Lodge east will be very wet at the moment, but then you will know how wet it is ;) living on Eilean a' Cheň.
Do a search on ytube and some of the less glossy mtb/hill walk forums and you will likely find more recent info on this section.

Dave
www.davesbikeshed.co.uk

rualexander:
Geograph is a good website for researching routes such as this, it has photographs and descriptions taken by folk who have been to these kind of locations previously.
Have a look here http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=679964
and then use the navigation facility to follow your proposed route.
It would seem that the path briefly disappears a couple of times but that it has also improved in the forest at loch laidon.

allywatt:
Many thanks for your replies.  I'll be taking my suspension-less NOMAD with a light load.  If I don't decide to do the stretch from Kingshouse to Rannoch Stn, I'll probably add a few more miles on between Mallaig and Fortwilliam by going via Strontian, and get the train from Fortwilliam to Rannoch missing out the fast busy A82 and Rannoch bog.  Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version