Author Topic: Danneaux's Sherpa  (Read 57585 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Sherpa
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:51 am »
Sherpa and I got out for an airing today and had a few adventures...traversed an old flume, went up in the woods, saw a nice stream. There were a few wet spots along the way, and it was nice to find I am riding on only the middle three ribs of the Duremes. They rolled very nicely, and my ride times were on-par with my rando bike. One extra benefit I had not anticipated -- the Duremes are far better at handling a nibbled asphalt edge than my 700x32 road slicks on the other bikes.  Nice! The club-like things on the pedals are my toe-warmers, mounted to my toe straps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:56:54 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 11:40:07 am »
CLASS ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »
Boy!

Here it is, the second day of Spring, and you'd have to look twice to know it. Here in Eugene, OR, we awakened to snow. There's a good 5-6 inches/~14cm outside now, and at least that more much expected later today and additional snow overnight.

I tried riding Sherpa, but the snow just kept packing up inside the fenders and it was pointless. It started out fluffy, but soon turned wet and froze to the tires in huge chunks, blocking-up the wheels. I'm not sure it would have worked too well without fenders either, as I saw a few fenderless bikes being carried on shoulders. The cross-country skis worked fine, and I got out for a nice couple miles' hike to enjoy it all!

The center of my arborvitae hedge has broken in two from the snow load; it is also home to several families of red squirrels. I haven't lost any trees yet, but a couple nice Century Oaks at the end of the street have broken off at the base of their trunks. Limbs are falling everywhere. As you can see, the bike path along the river a block away has a few walkers and dogs, but no bikes.

Hope you have warmer, more springlike weather wherever you may be!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »
Wow, that is really tough, Dan! I hope that at least you get enough snow pack up in the mountains to keep the irrigation canals full and the fields fertile... and no pineapple express to bring it down too fast!

Here in New York we skipped spring and went straight to summer. Up in the 70s with a clear strong sun. I wish I was riding more! I got what looks like a Bakers cyst behind one knee - no pain or stiffness but still I want to get things under control before any real nastiness shows up! Plus I am starting a new part-time job, just a start-up thing so no actual income unless and until the product actually takes off and flies! The software part is something I know I can do, but what about the other folks?!

My big accomplishment yesterday was to try a little side path that is a private road, so MapMyRide doesn't have the elevation data. Up the side of a hill, that's for sure! That's why I call my Nomad "Fearless" - if the road degenerates, I can keep going!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/76599688

Some beautiful views, but I didn't bring my camera!

I hope your crazy snow melts as fast as it came down!

jags

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »
look's beautiful Dan but no good for us cyclists :'(
nope keep that sherpa indoors bike weren't made to enjoy  snow.

Pavel

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »
Ah, I say put some studded tyres on and tape a soft pillow or three to yourself! 8)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »
Its possible ... Tom's site is a great touring site for those who don't know it ... including his Winter tour!

http://tomsbiketrip.com/adventures/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:05 pm »
Tom's site is a great touring site...
A great site indeed, Richard; nice find!

Pah!  What am I complaining about? Compared to Lapland-ish conditions, mine hardly qualifies as "snow"!

Pavel! Hand me the pillows! One for each knee and one for my noggin should do!  ;D

I'm off! (sunshine today is helping to melt the white stuff, though it is still only 1C and awfully um, un-green Out There).

Best,

Dan.

kickingcones

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Hey Dan, my first post in these forums, so everyone please be gentle!

Really nice images of your new Sherpa. I'm curious, what is that stick you're using to hold up the bike?

I have some questions I want to ask about oiling the chain and getting the battery charger, but I'll email you privately about that.

My name is Miguel by the way everyone. I live in Japan and ride a Bike Friday New World Tourist... can't afford a Thorn bike yet. But am dreaming of one! Dan and I met 31 years ago in Oregon where we went to school together and did some bike touring together. We first started talking because at that time I had a custom built Toei Randonneur with 650B wheels. I'm mainly an ultralight backpacker these days, though I've done some multi month long distance bicycle tours, too, and I hope to get back into bicycle touring again this year. Really miss it.

Looking forward to talking with everyone!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »
Hi Miguel,

I think that's a Click Stand that Dan is using to hold up his bike:

http://www.click-stand.com/

An old colleague from my own Oregon days just passed through town here last weekend. He's got a few nice bikes including an Air Friday - do they make those any more? He was telling me stories about riding though mountain villages along the east coast of Italy.... wow!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 02:09:58 pm »
Good morning, and welcome, Miguel! It's great hearing from you on the Forum, and -- yes! -- we've known each other awhile.  ;)

what is that stick you're using to hold up the bike?
Ah, that would be a Click-Stand ( www.click-stand.com/ ) "The Only Portable Folding Bicycle Kickstand", handmade by cyclist/machinist Tom Nostrant of Washington State. Mine is the Max model, intended for tandems and heavily-laden touring bikes. They're also available for Bike Fridays, as photos on the Click-Stand site show. I think you might like one.

They are deservedly popular among Forum members because they are compact, lightweight, and avoid any possibility of clamping damage to the chainstays or seatstays, as can sometimes occur with conventionally-mounted kickstands (and they keep the frame warranty intact). It -- along with a SON dynohub, B&M LED lighting, and Tout Terrain The Plug2 charging system -- is one of the most valuable additions I've made to a bicycle. Best of all, it allows me to load and unload the bike solo in a fraction of the time it previously took (~3 minutes, down from ~45+ minutes). That means I'm on the road earlier in the morning, and it takes far less time to set up camp at the end of the day. Best of all, the bike no longer has to be laid-down on gravel, dirt, playa, and mud. Since the bike stays upright, the bags (Ortlieb Packer series) also remain waterproof and clean.

Among the hidden virtues that make the Click-Stand work are little bungee cords that hold the brake levers shut when parked. These immobilize the bike, and prevent it swinging around the stand. I've had no problem with the Click-Stand holding as much as 70kg of bike and load (equipped for extended self-supported solo desert travel with 16.5+kg of water and 2 weeks' food -- usually canned 'cos that's what's available from back-country stores), though it is common to increase the lean angle with extra weight and to place the end of the stand on a bottle cap or rock to prevent it sinking in soft soil. <-- This last detail has caused disappointment for some, but overall, the basic idea of a stick -- wooden, trekking pole, or Click-Stand -- has proven helpful to hold a loaded or bare bike reliably upright in a variety of conditions.

It is important to note that as well as the Click-Stand works for me, there are folks on the Forum who are just as pleased with a double-leg kickstand or one mounted on the left-rear stays -- and those who prefer no kickstand at all or a homemade version of the Click-Stand. Each is a viable approach and has its adherents. It really is down to personal preference and the factors most congruent with individual needs.

Miguel, I've long admired your ultralight approach, and try to emulate it when I can, but the Thorns are built for stout -- they're the patient, even-tempered Draft horses of the bicycle world, but the geometry means they have racehorse pretensions -- with lively low-speed handling and high-speed stability loaded or bare. I've never owned a bike more stable under enormous loads, yet at the same time comfortable picking its way along a rocky goat path at low or high speeds. Unladen (and despite its greater weight), it is proving the equal to my Centurion Pro Tour 15 rando bike, and the times over long distances are comparable, despite the Sherpa's 26 x 2.0 Schwalbe Duremes compared to my rando bike's 700x32C road slicks. If the rando-bike is my lightweight all-'rounder, the Sherpa is the same at the heavier end of the scale, with a healthy overlap in the middle. At first, I was as inclined to grab one as the other for a good, long day ride. Now, I find myself doing most of my riding on Sherpa. I think that says something about it meeting all my needs.

So.

Welcome, Miguel; looking forward to hearing from you. Don't neglect the possibility of a used Thorn as a means to acquire the marque more quickly. There are often remarkable examples that appear in the For Sale sections of the Forum.

All the best from across the years,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:29:58 pm by Danneaux »

Relayer

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:48 pm »
Hey Dan, my first post in these forums, so everyone please be gentle!

Welcome Miguel!
You've virtually no worries here, this is quite a genteel forum with a great deal of experience/expertise - not least from Dan.

jags

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »
welcome Miguel isn't the intenet great imagine people from all over the planet chatting about bikes marvelous altogether.
don't forget a post a photo of yourself and your gear on rouges gallery.
cheers
jags.

kickingcones

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 12:48:25 am »
Well, looking good so far! Feeling quite welcomed! Thanks!

The Click-Stand is such a simple and obvious solution to standing the bicycle up that it brought tears to my eyes from the sheer chagrin of knowing that my palm was about to collide with my forehead! And there I was struggling for years with kickstands, which I have truly disliked over more than 40 years! Just went ahead and ordered me one.

I just finished fitting my Bike Friday with the SON dynohub and B&S lighting (though I still can't figure out how to rout the wire from the rear light... BF's have such awfully bad, long routing angles), so I know what you mean, Dan. I'm still trying to figure out a charging system, though, since the Tout Terrain Plug2 doesn't work on the custom curved stem of my bicycle. Which is too bad; it is a much more elegant solution than the others I've looked at.

JimK, I'm not sure if the Air Friday is made anymore. I took a gander at their site, but the navigation was bad enough that I couldn't find any product page on it. So perhaps it's gone?

Relayer, that is very reassuring. I like genteel! ;-)

Jags, it is wonderful isn't it? Finding people after your own heart makes it quite special. I'm into bugs and birds and lizards and things, and once, for about a year, I was in daily contact with a butterfly researcher camped in the middle of the Amazon. How unlikely is that?! I'll get the photo and gear list up as soon as I can, but it's such a nice day out today, time to get away from the screen!

Cheerio!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:43 am »
Hi All,

My most recent addition to Sherpa...a Danneaux-made hidden spoke holder!

I've always built and maintained my own wheels and have never needed to use any spare spokes I've carried. I didn't want to attach Sherpa's 6 spares to the rack with duct tape or zip ties where they would snag luggage or appear unsightly. What better place than inside the seatpost, where they can ride quietly secure till needed?

The inside diameter of Sherpa's seatpost is too large for an expanding 'bar-end plug, so I made my own.

To make the expansion plug, I turned down a #8 rubber stopper, then faced it with all-stainless compression hardware; the wing nut is captive to prevent loss. The spokes "float" rattle-free in donut spacers made of Evazote closed-cell foam and are tethered to the expansion plug with high-test monofilament. The whole works (sans spokes) weighs 17g/0.6oz.

Silent, secure, and hidden, ready for that untimely Someday by the side of a road.

To further seal the seatpost against water and playa dust, I've installed a nitrile o-ring on the seatpost. It's shown at the bottom in the first picture below, above the masking tape I used to temporarily mark seatpost height. I'll slide it down against the top of the seat tube when I reinstall the post. The second photo shows how Thorn's framebuilders hid the seatstay vent holes inside the upper portion of the seattube.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:05:39 am by Danneaux »