Author Topic: Viva Ai-Weiwei! (watch it and weep, Rob Ford)  (Read 1439 times)

John Saxby

Viva Ai-Weiwei! (watch it and weep, Rob Ford)
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:02 pm »
This celebration of the bicycle, created by Ai-WeiWei, appeared in Toronto last October.  I somehow missed it at the time--probably ignoring any news on Toronto because of its disgraceful mayor--but a friend in China just sent it along.

Here's the link: http://gizmodo.com/this-mesmerizing-ai-weiwei-installation-is-made-from-3-1442105755

What better response to Rob Ford's war on the bike?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Viva Ai-Weiwei! (watch it and weep, Rob Ford)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
Wow! That is a stunning installation, John...mesmerizing indeed. I hazard a guess even non-cyclists (are there really people like that?  ;) ) would enjoy seeing something like this.

Looking closely, the head tube of one bike mates with the seat tube of another, then the fork-ends join the opposite rear dropouts, so they must all be the same size and the front OLN must be pretty wide. Do you s'pose they're even potentially ridable frames?

I notice all the frames are described as stainless steel. Wow. Curiosity has me wondering what happened to them after the exhibit?

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »
Haven't checked Ai-WeiWei's website, Dan, nor Toronto's Nuit Blanche site -- those might have info.  Or, his exhibit might be a travelling (Nomad-ic, ho ho ho ho?) affair; worth looking for, if so.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »
(Nomad-ic, ho ho ho ho?)
It'd take a lot of Sherpas to accomplish, John....

I saw those photos and am still Raven about it.

Ducking and running,

Dan.