Author Topic: Solo tour in Italy, May 2011  (Read 3120 times)

EE

Solo tour in Italy, May 2011
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:18:16 pm »
Hi All,

I would like to share with you soem photos of my beloved bike, hope you enjoy them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114978085559413581485/FromLjubljanaToRomeJourneyOfMySherpa?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKujpLq8uuajRA&feat=directlink

Kind Regards,
Elemer

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Solo tour in Italy, May 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:17:02 pm »
...hope you enjoy them.

Goodness, I'll say! 

Elemer, these are terrific, and document a wonderful trip.  I especially liked seeing your bike "in action" and all the camping scenes as well.  A mighty fine-looking bike indeed; reminds me of my own beloved Sherpa.  Very nicely set up, and I especially enjoyed using the "zoom" photos to get a close look at all the details.  Your own accessory T-bar came out very nicely, and I like the location you chose for the computer, and GPS nice and handy.  Is that a bar-end mirror I see mounted?

Such beautiful scenery, as well.

Well done!  Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dan.

strictnaturist

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:58 pm »
what a trip...and it looks all pretty traffic free! Were they all on holiday here or something? :D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »
Elemer,

By any chance, could you post a photo of the map showing your route?  Or possibly a link to the GPS waypoints for it?  I'm really interested in the journey you took, and any additional information would be most welcome.  Again, a really nice photo-essay of your journey.

Best,

Dan.

EE

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your kind words!

The mirror is this type:http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-cycle-star-mirror-fits-to-handlebar-end-long-stem-prod16567/
I use it as a bar end and turn it inside the handlebar when I ride in the city. It is good because I can go through narrow gaps between cars when I
commute. On the open road I fold it outside and I find it very useful.

I tried to export / import the route from my google earth into google maps but I could not, si finally I put it on bikemap.net
However it seems I started from Umbria but I did not and it also shows my flight from Rome to Budapest
http://www.bikemap.net/route/1347548#lat=44.35528&lng=10.12939&zoom=6&type=2

The itiner was like: (maybe someone finds this useful)
21. May: Budapest (Hungary) - Ljubljana (Slovenia) by train (cca. 500 km)
21. May: Ljubljana (Slovenia) - Trieste (Italy) by cycle (97.3 km)
22. May: Trieste (Italy) - Mestre by train (140 km) and Mestre - Padova - Cerea on bike (122 km) total:262 km
23. May: Cerea - Parma (105 km) on bike
24. May: Parma - Cervarezza (71.2 km) on bike
25. May: Cervarezza - Via Reggio (110 km) on bike
26. May: Via Reggio - Pisa (57.7 km) on bike
27. May: Pisa - Firenze (99.8 km) on bike
28. May: Firenze - (0 km) on bike
29. May: Firenze - Siena (70.9 km) on bike
30. May: Siena - Lake Trasimeno (88.1 km) on bike
31. May: Lake Trasimeno - Assisi (72.7 km) on bike
01. June: Assisi - Narni (92.5 km) on bike
02. June: Narni - Rome (107 km) on bike

I flew back on 6th of June from Rome to Budapest

All the best,

Elemer

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:23:02 am »
Elemer,

Thanks for showing your itinerary.  I plotted it on Microsoft's AutoRoute 2010, and you really covered the bulk of Italy, one way or another.  Good use of the train from Slovenia and the flight home from Rome to allow maximum time on your bike in Italy.

Did you do any wild camping along the way?  Was that even possible, perhaps in the Parco del Monte Subasio near Assisi or in one of the other park areas? 

Also...wondering how kind the transit legs were to your Sherpa.  Any damage incurred on the train or airplane?  When I flew with my bicycle to Europe  in 2008 (Amsterdam for touring The Netherlands, Belgium, and Western France/Bretagne), I had no problems...until the return trip, when someone in security decided to see if my bicycle was a Weapon of Mass Destruction.  Despite the photo taped inside the box showing how it should be packed, they didn't get it right and caused lots of damage, including ramming the pedals through the spokes and scratched paint and damaged components.  Since then, I have been concerned about flying with a nice bike.  Did you come out okay?  I hope so.  Any problems taking your panniers and gear as checked luggage?

Thanks again for sharing the photos and description of your trip, Elemer.  It is one I would dearly love to take someday, so it is of great interest!

Best,

Dan.

Milemuncher

• Pedaling on Regardless
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »
Smashing trip, great photos.  :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:38 am »
A journey of a lifetime. I love the stunning photograph of Assisi through the window. -- Andre Jute