Community > Member's Gallery

Nevermore

(1/5) > >>

ahconway:
Thanks to everyone on the forum who have given me advice about the bits & bobs for the Raven AT I ordered last week. It may be a few more weeks before it arrives, but I've already decided to call it Nevermore, after the raven in one of my favourite poems by Edgar Allan Poe.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Of course, I thoroughly expect my Nevermore be altogether happier than the one that haunted Poe!

In any case, while waiting for it arrive, I thought I'd post all the bits I decided on in the end (I've only listed the deviations from standard spec, or wherever a choice is involved):

* Raven Adventure Tour with twin plate fork in new Mid Blue Pearl powder coat finish (frame and fork!)

* MK2 comfort bars

* Mavic EX721 ceramic rims

* Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 1.75

* Shimano Deore brakes

* Shimano PD-M324 pelals (SPD on one side, platform on the other)

* S-SUN front and rear lamps

* Cateye Cordless 7 cyclometer

* 2 standard alloy bottle cages

* Brooks B17 saddle (honey)

* Tubus Cosmo rear rack (stainless steel)

* X-lite Enduro bar ends (blue) (I ordered these from Wiggle and had them sent to SJS - I had originally specced the Thorn carbon ones, but they're just a bit too small for me)
I'm having it sent to Bicycle Workshop in Notting Hill for assembly - an excellent shop for repairs - they're quite happy to do this.

Of course I'll post photos of Nevermore when it arrives - in the meantime, here are some shots from my trip to Bridgwater:

http://homepage.mac.com/ahconway/cycling/PhotoAlbum18.html

Andrew

femmcommuter:
When mine was delivered I only had to turn the bars and add the pedals. Why does your require assembly other than by SJS?

Stijn:
Andrew,

You shopping list only has parts for half a bike. ;)

The bottom bracket and crankset took quite a bit of puzzling when I spec’ed my bike, in order to get a straight chainline. Just to get you started, the the Rohlof chainline is 53mm and the BB needs to be 68mm. Make sure you swap out the pre installed (very cheap) Taiwanese bottom bracket which comes with the frame.

I hope you’ll put a picture on the forum, I’m keen to see the blue frame.

Cheers,

Stijn

mactraveller:
Hi all,

Don't want to change the topic but with regards to the last post, can I ask you Stijn -

Myself and girlfriend are waiting on delivery of an EXP and a Raven Tour respectively (Both with Rohloff).  Plans of many years touring etc.  Are you saying that the chainline will not be straight on these as standard?  And that the BB is not of great quality?

Thanks
Mactraveller

Andrew:
quote:Originally posted by mactraveller

Hi all,

Don't want to change the topic but with regards to the last post, can I ask you Stijn -

Myself and girlfriend are waiting on delivery of an EXP and a Raven Tour respectively (Both with Rohloff).  Plans of many years touring etc.  Are you saying that the chainline will not be straight on these as standard?  And that the BB is not of great quality?

Thanks
Mactraveller

Hi,

All Raven cycles for some months have been (and will now be) fitted with high quality Shimano UN52/53 bottom brackets.
If the Raven is bought as a complete cycle the chainline will be setup perfectly straight.

Regards
Andrew
sjscycles.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version