Author Topic: Winter in Suffolk with my RST  (Read 6619 times)

tintintin

Winter in Suffolk with my RST
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

I popped out on one of my local routes today. Starts in Long Melford and follows the River Stour to Bures before heading up to Assington and back to Melford via Lavenham.

Constable country at it's best

Life is good with weather like this  :) And still warm in shorts....  :) :)

A few photos, hope you enjoy them;

jags

Re: Winter in Suffolk with my RST
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »
wow really smart looking bike ,i had to go back and view them again because i realized i didn't even look at the country side ;D ;D

Milemuncher

• Pedaling on Regardless
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:19:45 pm »
Looks great!  Very sporty setup.  Nice.  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:25:55 am »
My!  What a lovely bike, and absolutely terrific photos of some gorgeous countryside.  Several look like Frank Patterson drawings.  Black 'n' red...lookin' goooood!

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dan.,

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:18:37 am »
Back for more lookin'...

Are those the Thorn carbon-fibre bar-ends there near your stem?  How does that position work for you?  I would imagine they would really get your elbows in for a more "aero" profile compared to the outer bar-ends.  They look really nice, and go with the sporting nature of the build.  Everything looks so neat, spare, and tidy.

And, please, can you tell us the frame size?  Thanks!

Best,

Dan,

tintintin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »
Thanks for the comments chaps ;)

Dan,

The bikes frame is a 561L and the carbon inners are Thorn's larger of the two bar ends that they do - Similar to the Eastons EC90 ends.  I find the position really comfortable when on the inner bars and you're right, it's not far off a full aero position which I love when you want to push it hard for a while (better against wind as well!).

Cheers,

Will.

Cedric

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:23 pm »
Dear Will,

1. What is the front chainring 44 or more?

2. About mudguards. It looks like you use 1.5 tyres? If so, what are the mudguards wide 45? Did you purchased them from SJCS?

I talked to SJCS but they do not have 45 mm mudguards for 26 wheels, only 700 cm.

Thanks,

Cedric

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:05 pm »
Oleksandr,

Thorn/SJS Cycles fits the 700C SJS P45 fenders to 26" wheels.  You can read all the details on the SJS Cycles Blog, here: 

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fitting-mudguards-to-our-thorn-bikes-with-26-%28559%29-wheels-blog71/

An incredible amount of work goes into the process.

Best,

Dan.

tintintin

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55:06 pm »
Hey Cedric,

It,s a 48 tooth chainring, that allows me to use no.11 more often than the other gears.

Dan is right about the mudguards, the only difference with mine is that they are SKS Bluemels rather than the Chromoplastics. The Bluemels don't have the end bits or mud flaps and are blacker than the Chromo,s - just personal choice :), but they are also 45mm x 700's.

I have 1.35 Kojak's fitted at the moment, but also 1.6" Marathon Supremes that will get swopped over for the winter.

Cheers, Will

Cedric

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:32:00 am »
Dan,

As usuall, thanks for link. :).

Will,

Thanks for answering. With 48t ring it really goes fast. :)

Actually I do not understand why bother with fitting 700C mudguards on 26 inch wheels if the 26 inch mudguards are readily available:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/31/chromop/largeimage.aspx?product=CHROMOP-26-1016-BC;Warehouse;Warehouse&alt=SKS%20Chromoplastic%20Mudguards%2C%2026%22%2C%20MTB%201.6-2.1%22%2C%20Black

I was about to purchase these 26 45 mm SKS, which are very rarely improted into my country, from SJCS or Wiggle, and SJCS does not supplied them

Regards,

Cedric

tintintin

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »
Cedric,

When speaking with Andy and Steve at Thorn I get the feeling that the 700's modified in the way that they do fit the tire sizes & wheel contours a lot better than the 26" guards do.

That said, I haven't seen the 26" ones fitted but would certainly take their advise and experience as being right about it.

Hope this helps,

Will.

Andybg

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »
Great looking bike and almost snap with mine. Just a quick question. Where do you carry your camera / tools etc.

Have cycled for many years but never with more than a mobile phone (it was piles of 10p pieces before the mobile - lol)

Now that I am becoming older and wiser and not so bothered about speed - how much and how to carry it is quite a consideration.

Have tried a bar bag but did not especially like not seeing the front wheel and tried a rack bag which was much better but was concerned about vibration for camera and kindle. Also I dont think it will work on the tubus fly. Ohter options I am considering is running singular or both front panniers on the back or using a carradice style saddle bag

Decisions decisions decisions

tintintin

Suffolk with my RST
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18:17 pm »

It's been a few thousand miles but I still haven't been feeling quite right with my riding position. I frigged around with the seat fore and aft, the height, the bar height and width, and still wasn't 100% happy - My left knee started playing up as well so I decided to get over to my local Cycle Fit in Stowmarket. Bob Grainger runs it - He's the lead Physio for Team Sky so I guessed he could help!

So after about three hours linked up to a computer with sticky dots all over me and videos and computers  taking recordings etc, etc we ended up moving the seat back about 10 mm, raised the seat by 6mm, added a 120 mm stem rather than the 110 mm that it came with and dropped (yes dropped!) the bars by another 25mm.

Here are the results:

I'm guessing the bike wasn't quite what he was used to seeing!

What I found was that my average speed has increased by just over 1 MPH, my Climbing out of the saddle feels A LOT more balanced (I'm not as squashed and my Arms seem to be holding the front end down more) and my knee is no longer causing pain (Although apparently I do need to sort out a set of orthotics insoles to lift my bridges !)

Overall a great result - Did an 80 mile ride all in the Pi&*ing rain a few days ago and all was good!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »
Will!

Thanks so much for the followup on your new riding position. Small things sometimes make the largest difference, and this is proof of it. It really helps to see the "new" against your old photos, and <nods> yes! I can see a difference.

Your current setup would be a bit low in front for me, but we're all different (thank goodness!) and what works best for one is different from another. The proof is in the pudding with your results, and comfort is paramount. I am so glad your knee issue has been addressed; well done, Bob Grainger!

...apparently I do need to sort out a set of orthotics insoles to lift my bridges...
Those helped flat-footed Danneaux! I found the "proper" stiff plastic orthotics made by a podiatrist were just not right for my cycling needs, so I modified some contoured neoprene versions intended for trainers (Spenco), added a slight wedge under the inside edge of each heel, and the job was done. Perhaps something like that might help you. It's cheap er, careful to play with over-the-counter stuff first.

Thanks for sharing another look at your most beautiful ride, Will; always a pleasure seeing such a gorgeous bike! Something this racy-looking needs a proper name, like "The Harrier" or "The Interceptor" or some such. The photos just say "Zoom!" (and you did pick up 1mph!).

Best,

Dan. (who would have guessed the tool bottle attached to the left pedal was causing that knee pain... :D)