Technical > Luggage

Ortlieb or Arkel?

(1/2) > >>

Cedric:
Dear all,

Please, advise to what brand you have the most loyalty?

The more positive posts for any of them for that I would go.
What prevented me from Purchasing Arkel at once that I saw several posts that Ortlieb could be more waterproof then Arkel and may be cheaper (Arkel prices are shown directly on their website and for Ortlieb I have not found yet).

Thanks,

Cedric

bobs:
Ortlieb.

Bob

Lemming:
Ortleib.

Not 100% waterproof - in torrential rain, water will find its way through the screwed rivets that hold the rack mounts, but this is very, very minor, and a lot more will get in when you open the pannier to get something out!

kwkirby01:
Given the price of Arkel in the UK and its limited retail availability, I'd expect Ortlieb to get most votes.

I use Ortleib panniers and am  happy with them, but they don't have pockets - an Ortlieb pannier is essentially a large, sealed, single compartment bag.

I've looked at Arkel kit in one of the London bike shops and it is very well made with many pockets and places to put stuff. Of course, this means it isn't completely waterproof. However, the main compartment of their more expensive models has a waterproof main compartment, and with the waterproof cover fitted I doubt there is much difference between it and Ortlieb.

If money were no object, I'd very seriously consider a set of Arkel panniers.

Kevin

il padrone:
Ortlieb, for the complete wterproofing and their simplicity.

If you need pockets, the new ones include an inner slit-pocket and you can buy clip-on rear pockets, as I have, that are also completely waterproof. Wiggle and bike24 are good value suppliers to buy themfrom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version